Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things Quilt


I finished up Rocco's quilt today.  This is A Few of My Favorite Things by Heidi Pridemore.  This is one of the kits I won from Quiltmaker.  The fabric is designed by Heidi too.  The sashing strips are leashes.  The borders have leashes, bowls, slippers and other doggy favorites.


I did fusible applique and button hole stitch by machine.  The embroidery is back stitch by hand.


Oops,  there's a string to pick off on the fire hydrant.  I wanted the quilt to be soft for Rocco, so I just stitched in the ditch around the blocks and echo quilted the appliques.

In the outside border I machine quilted Rocco's name and hearts.


Roc was a good sport about posing.  He knows what sit and stay mean--even tho he is kind of camera shy.  Sorry about the red eyes--note to Santa:  I could use photo shop software.  : )

I put navy blue minkee on the back. It is so nice and soft.  It also matches his new bed.  He's so spoiled getting his presents before Christmas.  lol

You may be wondering where my Christmas decorations are---they are still in their boxes.  Today is Jennifer's birthday.  She and I both have December birthdays.  I have always waited until after our birthdays to decorate for Christmas  So I better start looking in that dreaded closet--that may be another reason I have waited. 

We don't make much ado about Christmas in our family.  Jesus is the reason for the season and family time is the biggest gift we give to each other.  Some of that tradition comes from my having worked at the Post Office for 30 years.  Even tho I have more time since retirement, simple celebrations are the way we do our thing.   I'm not knocking the way other people do theirs.  I enjoy all the lights, music and commotion I see other people doing, but self imposed stress doesn't make anyone happier at our house. 

I'm off to start a little surprise Christmas project.  I'll let you know how it goes.

9 comments:

  1. Lucky Rocco - that's one beautiful quilt! A Blessed Holiday to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be the most personalized, special quilt for a canine friend that I've ever seen. It's just the cutest, especially the leashes for the sashing.

    Ditto on Christmas with our family. We've suspended ALL gift giving except a few for the children, and of course our beloved little granddaughter. The family time is definitely the #1 reason for getting together, reminiscing, smiling at each other, catching up on what's going on in our lives, playing card games and laughing.
    Remembering the true meaning of Christmas and enjoying family time -- that's also the focus of our holiday celebrating.
    We don't have our tree up yet, DH skipped outdoor lights this year, and no decorations of consequence in the house (yet). But the spirit of Christmas is in our hearts, and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lucky little dog! That is so cute. I love your thoughts on Christmas - it is so true. It has become so commercialized and full of stress and is more for the merchants than for the real meaning. Our family is cutting down on all the gifts, also, and will enjoy just being together with one glaring exception and that is our Hannah in Africa. However, I think there are plans for her to spend it with new friends and we will talk to her Christmas Day. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Rocco's quilt--and now you have started something--miss gracie wants to know "where" her special quilt is!!!!
    Christmas is real simple for me--as there really is no family around to celebrate--and all my friends that don't go to Fl for the winter do have family--but I love being home--so it doesn't bother me--cause as you say --Jesus is the reason--
    hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocco's quilt looks so fun! I'm with you on Christmas. We look forward to a lot of family time and try hard to keep the right perspective and not let all the commercialism take over. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet quilt! And he looks so cute on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable quilt, Rocco looks like he is enjoying it already. I'm sure he doesn't know that it isn't Christmas yet. Have fun on your new surprise project. Those are the most fun of all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precious! Oh he looks so adorable all snuggled up in his new bed with his new quilt. I'd be a happy dog too!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of a quilt for your dog & would considereit for my cats, but they think all of the quilts are for them already... :o)

    ReplyDelete