Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Frosty Morning


Thank you for  all the birthday wishes!!  It was a good day.  I'll draw for the books on Friday.  There is still time to comment if you haven't yet.





It was a beautiful frosty fairyland this morning.  I had to take a few pictures for you.   The little tree that the cats love to climb is loaded with thick white frost.  The sun was so bright and the sky a gorgeous shade of blue. 


Of course, it wasn't much fun driving home in the fog last night!!  We went to Aberdeen (about 90 miles north and east of the ranch) for the day--my birthday.  : )  We did some farm supply shopping and went out for supper with one of DH's sisters and her husband.  The last 45 miles home was pretty foggy in places.  It was -2 F when we got home about 9:00 pm.  Brrrrr.  As you can see we don't have hardly any snow yet.  Aberdeen has about 8 inches.

No surprise this morning to find out that the heater in the shop wasn't working.  Whenever the temperature is below zero you can count on something not working.   lol  Thank goodness DH got good advice over the phone from our propane man.  He had it going after 3 trips to the shop.

The haygrinder came today.  I thought you might like to see the machine that grinds the big hay bales into ground hay.  DH is feeding the grinder the big bales.  We mix the ground hay with silage and oats in the feed wagon to feed to the cows.  He ground bales for 2 hours for $500.00.  The price has gone up since last year.  Hasn't everything?




The cattle have been in the fall pastures.  Last week we brought them home and worked them.  The calves got fall shots and everyone was "poured" to kill lice, grubs and worms.   In a few days we will wean the calves.  There will be alot of "bawling" going on. 


Oliver, Olivia and Lillian are back closer to home too.  Oliver has gotten bigger and has more brown spots on his coat. 

I didn't get to the sewing machine today.  Bookkeeping, cleaning and laundry needed to get done.  I'm hoping tomorrow is more "fun". 

11 comments:

  1. Oh your new header is gorgeous. love all your pics. It is fun to see the seasonal changes in different parts of the world.
    It is nice to see Oliver,Olivia ans Lillian again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new header photo... You are so lucky to now have had much snow & to have your cattle out in pasture this long?! We got a new snowblower last year so I'm thinking we shouldn't get much snow this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Burrrr. It looks mighty cold but it looks so wonderful too. I imagine how it would be to live on a ranch and the beauty from doing so. Lots of hard work though I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, it looks so cold there! I never knew that there was so much activity on a farm during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing the Larma's in Wilshire back in the Summer.We were diverted from our usual route along the road back to the South West from London.
    I love to see them with you. :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. what beautiful pictures you take--
    I wanna do that!!!!
    It is very cold here tonight to--though the temp says 17 degrees--it feels colder!!!!
    I thought we were in a global warming????
    Hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures! If a day has to be spent not sewing, you picked the right way to spend it. That is a lot accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed all the pics. They are quite lovely!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pictures in this post are gorgeous!!!

    Hugs - Jodie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday! Your pictures are beautiful - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your header- it is very atmospheric, and beautiful...as are your frost photos!

    I have never seen one of those 'grinder' machines- I don't think we grind hay here, I don't think anything gets mixed with the silage. I love the smell of the silage when its opened up for forking! Perhaps the farmers buy in ground hay as cattle farms would be so much smaller in the west. I'll find out sometime! It does so interest me the differences between you and us!

    ReplyDelete