Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gettin "Happy" in June

We have been busy as usual.  DH lined up a crew to work the cattle before they were moved to summer pastures.  All the cows and calves get vaccinated and wormed. 

BIL Ron and nephew John came to help out. 



 Nathan and Oliver, neighbor boys worked in the back.


It was a nice day and not too hot--that really helped.  After all the cattle were worked we moved them to their summer homes.  We have a few cows left to calve, but calving season is pretty much over.  Yeah!!


No, this isn't a lake.  It's the corn field.  We were only able to plant about half of it this year.  We hope to finish with the last field tomorrow.  It is also a wet field and this is way later than we usually get our corn in.   It's been hard to get the crops in with the rain and wet fields.  We hope to get enough planted to feed the cows through next winter.

I decided I really needed to get some fabric therapy.  I was getting pretty grouchy.  Just like lack of sunshine affects me, so does lack of color and creativity.   I haven't had the time to organize anything in the sewing bedroom---so I started a new project.  I'm using the Happy jelly roll I bought at the Quilter's Corner and the June Bug pattern I ordered from Connecting Threads.

I made a template from plastic and started tracing to make the fused applique blocks.


I cut out the centers, so just the edges will be fused down.  I'm going to blind stitch them by machine.  I saved all the centers.  They will be just right for leaves on something else.

I've worked on this a little here and there.  Just so fun to be working on something again.


I like the colors in the Happy line by Me and My Sister Designs.  I'm using a lot of the pink and purple, but some of all the other colors too.  It's been so much fun cutting and choosing the colors.  I've been smiling a lot more the last two days.  lol 

I've been thinking I might hand quilt this one.  I like the quilts I've seen that used perle cotton and big stitches.  I can see doing that around these appliqued pieces. 


The llamas are enjoying green pastures.  There were no little llamas born this year.  We were a little disappointed--maybe next year.

It has been in the 90's the last couple days.  It really helped to dry out the field we need to plant yet.  I spent this morning mowing the yard and weed eating before it got so hot.  My garden is finally tilled, but not planted.  It is getting kind of late, but I need to get to town and buy some tomato plants at least.

Where does the time go?  Every day flies by and there just seems to be more and more to do.


12 comments:

  1. I love seeing the pictures of your life. I miss living out on the farm/ranch. Lots of people are just getting their branding done right now.

    Love that Happy fabric! That is what I made a quilt for my granddaughter out of and I am slowly hand quilting it with perle cotton too!! Great choice. Yours will be super cute. I like that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, thanks for another glimpse into your ranching life. Sooo different from my city life.

    I'm so glad you are able to spend some creative time with your fabric and sew some again. Hope you get your tomato plants in the ground soon.

    As I get older, the days get shorter too! Not enough hours to do what needs doing. I guess you are experiencing that too! lol

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to see how you all work on the ranch. It is a hard life but rewarding.
    You did have a lot of rain. Hope you get enough corn planted.

    Beautiful fabrics you have chosen to work with. Looking forward to seeing your work as it progresses along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting look at life in a very different part of this big country. We have also had lots of rain in the northeast (and even tornadoes) and the spring was unusually cool so there is still extra water everywhere here, also. The hot weather has moved eastward, too, though and it will be in the high 90s today and it may set a high heat record. Good time to stay in and sew. Fabric therapy is always good for the quilty soul. I love the colors in the Happy line and the other bright Me and My Sisters designs. Your quilt will be so pretty! Love the idea of handquilting using perle cotton. Looking forward to more photos. Have a happy quilty day ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember those days...working the cattle & then hauling them out. Don't miss the fencing at all though... still have scars from barbed wire.

    Glad you took some time to sew with everything going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the pictures of your quilty stuff...but...I REALLY enjoyed the farm and animal pictures. I soooo wish I knew someone with a farm like that near me. I would visit often =) I love animals...ALL kinds!

    hugZ,
    annie
    rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com
    =) new follower =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like things have really been "hopping" around your ranch.
    I love the project you're working on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish I could send you some of this hot, dry weather to help dry out your fields and what we wouldn't give to have standing water in our pastures! Sigh. You have the right idea about dicing into some fabric therapy! That pattern caught my eye too in the catalog. It'll be wonderful with the colors you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I wish the water could be shipped to southern Colorado where my parents and their cows are in severe drought. But, isn't that just the way it is with water--too much or too little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you were able to get some quilting therapy in!! It's wonderful how good just cutting into pretty fabric and putting something colorful together can make you feel so good. You and your husband work so hard on your farm--and I know there is great satisfaction in that, too. Get the tomatoes in so you can have some of those good homegrown ones later this summer!! Have a good rest of the weekend. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty fabric- not surprised you needed to be sewing! That wet field would do your head in-you could be writing about us here. The first cut of silage was only done last night, late by nearly three weeks, and the growth just isn't in it. The harsh winters are slowing down our springs, and by mid August the weather has turned poor again. Its going to be a lean winter I fear.
    I hope your wet field dries out in time and your cattle get plenty of good grazing in over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm...I don't quite see how that block is going together, you'll have to show a picture of the process. Love seeing the pictures of life on the farm!

    ReplyDelete