One of the perks of doing chores in the morning is watching the birds. We had alot of snow and rain, so we have alot of water that attracts waterfowl. I don't have the greatest camera for taking pictures, but I try. I'm really not sneaking up on them either, just driving by. lol
This Mallard duck is the only one that didn't fly away when I drove by. Their green heads are such a pretty green. Isn't it amazing the colors that God painted on birds? Most of the time you see them in pairs, but I think they have started nesting now.
You will have to click and enlarge this next picture to see the Wilson's Phalaropes that are sharing the water with the Mallard. I have been trying to get a video of these little waders. They are so funny! They twirl around and around as they stir up the water and feed. We call them "twirly birds" or "dizzy ducks". I'm sure Mr. Wilson would not be impressed with our renaming them. This morning there were about 30 on this pond, but I didn't have the camera with.
I also saw a huge Blue Heron flying. It was funny to see his long legs sticking out straight behind him. I always see the best things when I don't have the camera.
We haven't been feeding the birds by the house this year, because of all the cats we have. I miss seeing the cute little finches out the kitchen window at the feeder. There are flocks of birds who eat in the pastures with the cows and of course there is plenty of food for them in the feed yard and by the grain bins too. I love these yellow headed blackbirds. They are such pretty bright spots among the other birds. They nest in the reeds and cat tails in the slew south of the house.
This next picture is of a Cattle Egret. You don't see these by the water. It's so strange to see them walking around the cows. They eat the insects and flies that bother the cows, but sometimes the cows chase them.
We have a lot of American Coots this year. The slew is very full of water this year and so they are staying longer than usual. I would love to video them too. They don't fly off high in the sky--they look like they are running on top of the water as they run away. They are all black except for their noses and when they are tipped down under the water you can see white stripes on their cute little butts. They have red around their eyes too--pretty fancy looking guys.

I was lucky enough to win a Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine during their blog hop. There are a lot of neat blocks with many possibilities. I really want to start making some of them. I'm thinking table runners.
I want to say "Congratulations" to my blog friend, Linda. She won a Baby GO from Accuquilt. I'm so excited for her. I can't wait to see how she likes it.




Thank you for sharing your lovely birds with us. I also love my birds around the block and along the beach.
ReplyDeleteWe have a Mountain duck came to the door to visit. so funny. Except for the presents he leaves me to clean.
How nice for Linda to have won the Baby GO.
Janet, thanks for sharing the birds with us. I saw some gorgeous yellow and black birds here yesterday, but of course, I did not have my camera. LOL I am so enjoying the hummingbirds this year. They are quite the feisty little guys. Have a good Sunday.
ReplyDeleteWhat interesting birds you have, Janet! It's interesting to see what kind of wildlife lives in other parts of this country and the world!
ReplyDeleteWhen dh and I do our walks in the park, we see diving ducks. They also are at the shore. It's fun to see how far they travel underwater before popping back up to the surface.
I love watching birds too. Our burrowing owls have their babies out this month. They are so cute and fuzzy and it's fun to watch them try to fly.
ReplyDeleteWe have tons of blackbirds but none with yellow heads. Those are fun looking.
We do have lots of egrets though. They swoop down when the mowers come to mow the empty fields. Fields for us are empty lots about a 1/4 acre in size where there are no houses yet. A bit different than your fields lol.
Oh, I do love the birds, too, Janet. And like you, rarely have my camera when a great photo op presents itself! :o( When I was visiting my sister in Louisiana at Christmas, I was walking along the lake by her house feeding the swans. A little coot came right up to me and "asked" for a piece of bread...he was so cute but they have the BIGGEST feet I have ever seen! It's pretty comical to see.
ReplyDeleteAnd believe it or not, a pair of Mallards looking for a nesting site walked right through my front yard the other day...and we don't have any water close by!
A big congrats to your friend Linda for her win...that's so exciting. I'm sure she's going to love i!
XOXO,
Cyndi
I love the birds. Thanks for posting your pictures. I have swallows, wrens, and hummingbirds all nesting around my back patio. It's quite a zoo around here. I'm in a farm/ranch area, so we have a lot of egrets that we see alongside or on the backs of cattle. We also have a lot of hawks, Mexican eagles, and Canadian geese. The geese have headed back up to Canada, but they winter over here.
ReplyDeleteP.S. - I wish I was the Linda who won the Go Baby! Happy for her, though!
ReplyDeleteGod had a grat pallettte in hand when he choose the coulours for birdlife. The colours of the mallard are a favourite.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures of the birds. I enjoyed the cow videos on the prior posts too, so cute.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you wrote tonight's post as we have the American Coot's here at the end of the lake--
ReplyDeletebut I did not know what they were till now!!!
Hope things are drying out for you--we are now getting lots of rain here!!! Quack Quack!!!
Hugs, Di and miss gracie
Love your pictures of the birds you posted. Mallards are a favorite of mine - my dad was a duck hunter and we had lots of wild duck. When we moved to Michigan, there was a pair of mallards that wandered up from the creek behind the houses across the street and they dined under our bird feeder. They would come pretty close when I threw bird seed to them. I named them Nan and Charlie after my parents. So enjoy your blog, Janet! Carol
ReplyDelete