Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Traveling and Choring


We have been doing some traveling the last few weeks.  After having not been to North Dakota for years and years, we have been there twice in a two week period.   DH has been combine shopping for sometime.  He wants to be able to combine on his own schedule and not have to wait his turn.  A combine is a big investment, but he believes it will pay for itself in time.  We made a day trip to LaMoure to Green Iron Implement.  They delivered "the machine" last week.  It has some fixing needed, but DH has until next fall to get that done.

Only a few days later the feed wagon brokedown.  They make the wagons in Jamestown, ND.  After calling all the local places, we made a road trip to Midwestern Machine for the necessary parts.  The feed wagon is vital to feeding all the cattle in the mornings and needs to be functioning every morning.  The weather has been cooperative for traveling, unlike other Januarys.



Our weather has caught cold here.  It was - 11 degrees F this morning while we were feeding.  The calves had frosty whiskers and snow on their backs.  It snowed a couple inches overnight.   The ice on the water tanks was thicker than usual.   I usually put out warm water for the cats to drink, but these guys must like it icy.



DH and I installed our first dishwasher yesterday.  Our dishwasher lasted 12 years.  I had never had a dishwasher until this last one.  I've been washing dishes for about 6 months and we decided to put in a replacement.  DH was sure he could install it instead of paying someone to.  Why don't men read instruction booklets?  Do they just make them for the wives to read?  Of course, we needed to make a trip to town for extra fittings that they didn't tell us about at the store.  So after 7 hours we have a working dishwasher and one small drip under the sink.  DH fixed the drip this morning.  I have to be honest--I hate projects like this.  I know I will appreciate the dishwasher tho when calving starts.  I can put my feet up quicker.

2 comments:

  1. Did you get to do any fabric shopping on your trips? There is a fabric store in the mall in Jamestown that has lots of good stuff!

    Love those cutie calves! Do you have the heated water stations or do you have to go break the ice in the mornings? Gosh those cows can be a lot of work...I would alway think that when I got up with my kids at night when they were really little...better than getting up in the middle of the night going out in the freezing cold& snow to a barn! (my parents always calved in January)

    Stay warm & enjoy your new dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting both the combine and a new dishwasher! Hope the combine isn't too hard to get set up and working come the fall. Hope dh can get the feed wagon up and working quickly. Ugh on all the repairs. But that goes with the territory.

    Hope to see some of your sewing soon. I just know you work on that at night! ;-)

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete