Friday, January 27, 2012

2012 Free Motion Challenge for January

The give away is closed 1/31/2012 at 11:59 PM.


I signed up for the Free Motion Quilting Challenge at Sew Cal Gal's.  I finally took the time to attempt the leaf motif for this month.  Not the greatest sample, but it got me started!  There are some really nice samples in the flickr group.   I'm going to keep working on this and the new February tutorial will be out very soon.



My camera is taking fuzzy pictures lately.  I'm not sure if it's me or the camera.  I free motion quilted this fabric sandwich for something I'm making.  (Can't show you yet.)  I quilted around the flowers and went over the stems and leaves.  This really was good practice.  It gave me a pattern to follow and I really enjoyed it.  I didn't have to decide where to go next.


I had planned a longer post today, but DH just called with other plans for me.  I'm off to the shower.

If you read this far---


I finished reading Threading the Needle by Marie Bostwick.  If you would like to read it, leave me a comment with the word book in it.  I'll be choosing someone next Wednesday, February 1st. 

Later gator!  : )

21 comments:

  1. I'd love to read that book. You FMQ is soooo much better then my attempt, I'm determined to master it though and have to give it another shot tonight as I'm just not happy with it at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to win this book! It's been on my reading list for a while, but I haven't gotten to a bookstore to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a chance to practice the FMQ yet! I have that on my to do list for this weekend. The book is excellent-I have already read it and enjoyed it. Whoever wins will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your free motion quilting is looking great! I have finally started to be comfortable with it and wish I had tried much earlier. And, Janet, thank you for your kind words. I so enjoy all the blogging friends from these past few years. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you tell DH that he needs to BOOK your time? Or maybe it is a surprise date, in which case you need to drop everything - including your blog post - and go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your FMQ looks wonderful! I haven't practiced at all and am hoping to sneak in under the wire since there are still af ew days left in the month. I really enjoyed that series of books - they were a fun read. I can relate to being pulled into ranch hand mode at a minute's notice. Never know what the day will hold, but it's almost certain that it will end up being an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful FMQ practice! How clever to practice by stitching on some printed fabric and following the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book....that one looks interesting and meant for me because of the name of the town...my parents lived in New Bern, but it was in North Carolina. lol

    Sorry you got called away on such short notice. My dh does that from time to time and it's rather annoying if I have plans made and have to drop them. Hope your sidetrack was fun!

    Have a good weekend!

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great FAQ practice. Smaller pieces are so nice for practicing different patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I already read this book (and enjoyed it!) so don't enter my name for the draw. Just wanted to say that your leaf quilting looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your free motion quilting looks fine to me Janet! I like the leaves in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your free motion quilting looks pretty good. I am trying to improve mine and also try some new designs. I would love to read Marie's book. I have her on my list of authors to try but haven't gotten to hers yet. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great FMQ practice. Thanks for sharing! My favorite quote about books is "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." ~Mark Twain, attributed. I love to read and this looks like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FMQ IS COMING ALONG NICELY!
    THIS LOOKS LIKE A NEAT BOOK!
    THANKS FOR SHARING!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the chance to win your copy of the book! Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to enter for Marie's book!!
    Thank you :)
    kimberlybreid at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Janet,

    I love your free motion quilting. I'm doing the same challenge. I put leaves on the tree in my Alzheimer's art quilt. I haven't been able to finish it yet because we've suddenly had to drop everything to start putting my father-in-law in an independent living facility and clean out his house. I'm going to finish it tonight (I hope) and post it.

    Was the book very good? If so, I'll get it for my Nook; we've run out of shelf space so I'd better not try to win. lol

    Take care,
    Susan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm joining the 2012 Free Motion Challenge too - and I love it :-)
    It seams like a great book to read.....
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been looking at all of the FM leaves from the challenge out in blog land. I think yours look really good. I have to admit, I haven't attempted it yet. Thanks for the chance to win your BOOK.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Book 'im Dano! hehhee I couldn't resist. This book is on my 2012 reading list. I haven't officially joined the 2012 FM challenge (just in the privacy of my own mind, similar to my singing in the shower), but I'm going to enjoy looking back at my feeble Jan attempts in Dec and see if I've improved :) Hopefully!

    ReplyDelete