We had a little surprise arrive this last Wednesday. It was a busy morning. DH had regular chores to do and we had 3 semi-trucks coming to haul our calves to the sale barn in Aberdeen. The trucks had just gotten there and one of the drivers asked what was wrong with one of our llamas. Sure enough, Lillian was having a baby. The head and one long leg were out, but the other leg was back. With a little assistance this little one was helped into the cold world. It was only 14 degrees out.
After the trucks left with the calves, DH and I loaded up mom and baby in the horse trailer. We set up a pen in the heated shop for them. (That sounds a lot easier than it was!! Lillian was not very cooperative!!)
Lillian really didn't appreciate the help or the nicer accommodations. Llamas don't bite, charge or run over you--thank goodness!! BUT they do spit at you--nice big soggy hunks of yunky smelling partially digested hay. We got the pair settled and then showered and headed for the sale.
They were just fine when we got home to check on them. Baby is all legs and long neck. She is light as a feather. I'd rather carry her than a baby calf. lol
Lillian really didn't appreciate the help or the nicer accommodations. Llamas don't bite, charge or run over you--thank goodness!! BUT they do spit at you--nice big soggy hunks of yunky smelling partially digested hay. We got the pair settled and then showered and headed for the sale.
They were just fine when we got home to check on them. Baby is all legs and long neck. She is light as a feather. I'd rather carry her than a baby calf. lol
Michelle was home for a visit this week-end. The baby is so fun. She is curious and soft as a bunny. She liked the sound of Michelle's voice. She bounces around and shows off too. They are now in a suite in the old red barn. Lillian wants to join the rest of the family. It is suppose to warm up the end of this next week, so that will help.
I'm still practicing my FMQ. I'm going to have a lot of "cat mats" when I'm done, because I need alot more practice!!






Oh how fun!! Will the sweetie allow you to hug? I have ALWAYS loved your blog - this is one BIG (or I should say "little") reason.
ReplyDeleteHugs.
What a sweet little baby -- just look at those eyes! Your feather quilting is looking great -- keep at it, everything gets easier with practice.
ReplyDeleteWhew! Lillian looks mad in that one picture. LOL The little one is so cute. Your free motion quilting looks great to me. I still haven't attempted it. LOL Have a great day.
ReplyDeleteThe new arrival is very cute. Yes Llamas do spit.. Yuk.. and Mum didn't even look happy that you gave her a nice warm place to stay in for awhile.
ReplyDeleteNice that Michelle was home for a visit too and could see the baby.
Your FMQ is better than mine. I only do "Stipple"
Your new addition is so cute! Our neighbor raises pygmy goats and they have little ones due the end of the month. I can't wait! :0)
ReplyDeleteCute baby! Best of luck with the quilting - looks so difficult!
ReplyDeleteHugs - Lurline.
I'm in love with those eye's Janet,I always look forward to any news about your lama's... Oh, now isn't she cute. Maybe it is a good time to be able to tame mum up a little... okay, maybe not :-) One reason why camels aren't a favorite of mine. Keep warm mum and little babes... oh, what are you going to call her?
ReplyDelete:-) x x x
What a cute little baby !!!! And your FMQ looks good .
ReplyDeleteHugs Tiny
Thanks for sharing you cute new baby! I think you feather quilting is looking good.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the new addition, Janet! Glad you were home to move mom and baby to warmer accommodations! Nice timing to have Michelle see the new baby too!
ReplyDeleteYour feathers are coming along very nicely.
She is darling! I'm glad you got her all sorted out. Those big eyes are so beautiful. 8)
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Susan in Texas
So adorable!! I can't believe all the work you do. I managed to make the bed, but it took me 30 minutes. I'm just getting too old.
ReplyDeleteSo cute! Your FMQ is going great! I just purchased a new sewing machine so need to start practicing FMQ too!
ReplyDeleteOh how sweet, a baby llama! The fun part of living on a farm!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet addition to the family! Llamas are darling...spit and all. :)
ReplyDeleteYou quilting looks wonderful - I am impressed. Feathers scare me.