Friday, April 26, 2013

The Winter That Stayed


You haven't seen much of me--nobody has.  I've been either in the pasture, the barn or sleeping.  Not always enough sleeping.  lol   This isn't the kind of weather I like to have baby calves in.  In fact we are calving a week later than last year, hoping to avoid cold weather.  It has been a very, very long two weeks of snow and wind and colder than average temperatures.  There has been a lot of hands on calving help needed to keep everyone dry and healthy.


Snow is not an ideal place to have a newborn.  When it does happen,  it's up to the rancher to swoop the baby up and take it to a warmer dryer place.  Sometimes Mom follows--sometimes she needs to be persuaded.


The calves that are a week old do better in the snow.  You can tell a healthy calf by his looks.   They have their ears up and usually enjoy morning play time--even in the snow.


It takes a lot of straw and shelter to keep all the older ones warm and dry too.  It's a busy job when the weather is crappy.  There are emergency trips to the vet with little ones that need extra help.  I tell DH: "we can't sleep with them too".  


More later...........................

6 comments:

  1. Wow....that's so much snow. I would like a few inches, but then that would be enough. It's 77 here today. Come on down for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to take care of YOU !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain. Just think of all the green grass we will soon be seeing!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you poor dear. I hope you can catch up on your rest soon. I am sure hoping winter is finally over for all of us. What a cold April this has been, but at least we have only had snow once this month, and it melted quickly. That was earlier in the week. Very unusual for us to have snow this late in the year. Good luck with the calving. I am sure this crappy weather makes things so much harder. Saying a little prayer for you. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there--all pregnancies end eventually and all winters, too. I hope you are staying as warm and dry as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure hope y'all are snow-less by now. Was worried y'all have had more. Calving in the snow certainly does keep you on your toes. Bet you're ready to settle in for a long nap and wake up to spring. How much longer until you're calved out? LOL - well, not YOU, but your Mamas. Ours are all spread out this spring.

    ReplyDelete