Monday, April 29, 2013

Calving Season

The weather has turned nice with a heat wave and we all are enjoying the sunshine.  I thought I would share some of the other pictures I took during the last two weeks.  DD #1 was home for a couple days this week-end and helped us catch up on things and some sleep too.  :)





In labor in the "favorite" corner of the calving lot.



The corner was bedded with hay, but the snow is rapidly covering it up.  We let Mom lick off the new baby (bonding) and then they go to the warm dry barn.



The "old" long horn cow had a plain baby this year.  Each year she alternates--one year speckled like her, the next year a plain black one.  She is one of our tamest cows.  She comes to DH's cow call.



Just another "pretty" face. 


I'm sure there will be no sewing for a couple more weeks.  The snow is all melted and farming will begin very very soon.  Double duty will be on DH's schedule.  It is amazing how dusty it is in the pasture already.  The ground sucked the moisture right down.  Today I can actually see the beginning sprouts of green.  The trees are very late this year too.  None of the small retail greenhouses are filled in town yet.  It's a very late start for the growing season for everyone.

7 comments:

  1. I came by your blog via Marilyn's Maze. I love cows and your photos are soooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This surely is a busy time for you. I love the pictures of the
    new little calves. I'm glad the weather has abated and hope it will stay warm for mother and babies. Good luck with everything. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking what a busy, tiring time you are having right now, Janet! And I think how inspiring you are to other women (and men, too) working side by side with your husband and putting in long days that are so hard and cold, too. I hope spring comes to South Dakota really soon and that you get some time to relax and have some therapeutic time at your sewing machine!! I admire you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you have been really busy. We have been too, but with garden stuff, not baby calves. LOL Planted my cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts Sunday. Planted sweet corn today. Now they are calling for rain/snow on Thursday and Friday. Yikes! Will winter ever give up? I think we will go right from cold to summer and skip spring this year. Good luck with calving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The calves are so cute when they are all knock-kneed. 8) We've had such a mild spring this year. I guess all the cold weather stayed north this year. Soon it will be broiling down here. Oh well, I prefer very hot to cold.

    Take care,
    Susan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your cattle stories and pictures! Glad you had help with the calving too. Soon you will be sewing again. thanks for sharing the pictures and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you and DH make a good team! It's one of the things I am most thankful for - this lifestyle allows us to truly work together. Bet you're seeing lots of green right now. We dumped .2 from the rain gauge this morning. Around here that is worthy of a jig!

    ReplyDelete