Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sewing and Praying

I had a couple girl dates last week.  The first one was a sew all day at a friends.  Eight of us gathered at a quilter's home to make a quilt together.  We sewed and prayed together.  It was sad that the reason for this was to make a quilt for one of our quilter's who has been diagnosed recently with cancer.  We wanted to make her a quilt.



The quilt we made is called Cheese and Crackers by Terry Atkinson.  We used  30's fabric from all of our stashes.  We had stations set up for cutting, ironing and sewing.  These young gals can still get down on their knees for the laying out of the blocks.  I'm jealous of that!

 
Lunch was potluck and there was no shortage of food.  All of our quilters are good cooks too.  I love this huge kitchen island.  It was great for cutting fabric too.
 

Here is the finished top.  We started sewing at 9:30 am and finished up about 5:30 pm.   One of the quilters took the top home to quilt.  The backing will be gray minkee (gray for brain cancer).  We plan on getting together to bind it and give it to our friend.  I've missed my quilting friends--it was a bittersweet day.

There was more mowing and raking last week.  Then on Thursday night I had a night out with 3 friends for the July birthday of my friend, Peggy.  We had supper at  Guadalajara's Mexican Restaurant and went to the play "Kiss Me, Kate".  The Pierre Players community theatre does an amazing job.  It's a tradition to go to their plays for our birthday celebrations.

 

12 comments:

  1. Great quilt for a worthy cause. I love the border!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to make a quilt for a special friend. I am sure she will love it.
    I am busy making a quilt for my sister who has been diagnosed with Mesothelioma. So I know how you all felt making the quilt...

    How nice to celebrate you friend Peggy 's birthday with dinner and a show..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure she'll adore the quilt. It's definitely become a prayer quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very thoughtful quilt for your friend and one I am sure will bring her comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to a couple such quilt days when we lived near an American Mission station in Africa. The reason was sad for you right enough, but I remember those praying and sewing days as being jewels in my days. So much was shared, burdens weren't lifted so much as eased and the strength given to keep going, the cheer, the food, the wicked humour and rude comments about the bendables versus the unbendables. Its a very American tradition it seems to me and one from which you gain much strength. I was/ am grateful for the few I shared as they gave me strength at the time and the memories still warm my heart.
    With friends like you, your friend who is sick will be strengthened no matter what the eventual outcome. And the gift of strength to face troubles with dignity and fortitude is one you are giving her right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your dear friend will be overwhelmed by all the love that is in that beautiful quilt. She will feel it when it is keeping her warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful quilt and I'm sure your friend will love it. Cancer is never easy, but quilts always seem to help the patient know how much they are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt Hate the reason for it. I'll say a prayer for her. She will love the quilt and her friends for making it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful quilt made by beautiful friends. Each time your special friend holds or sees the quilt she will know the special prayers that where included as it was sewn. She is blessed and you are blessed to have such wonderful friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your friend. She is blessed to have a great support group willing to surround her with prayer and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet thing you all are doing for a friend! Such a pretty quilt! She is going to treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She will treasure it always!!

    I gave a quilt to a young mom at my church who is battling breast cancer. I cried when she told me she takes it with her to all of her treatments.

    ReplyDelete