We had a wonderful week-end of family and birthday celebrations. Uncle John (my Dad's brother) turned 100 and his family hosted a family dinner and an Open House for the community. In the evening we were invited to the "old home place" for supper and more visiting. His oldest son lives on the home place. Sunday morning my Aunt Janette's (who I am named after) family celebrated her September birthday of 97 year at a local lodge. We enjoyed a wonderful brunch and birthday cake.
It was a lovely week-end of visiting with cousins and renewing family ties. These two wonderful people are the remaining two of five siblings. My Dad was the oldest boy. The changes they have seen in the last 100 and 97 years is amazing. They are both in good health and very active physically.
We are still making hay and the wheat has been combined. We haven't had rain, but it has been very, very foggy in the mornings. I think the corn is getting moisture by osmosis.
Some of my followers, who are face book friends know I purchased a long arm quilter. It is a 2000 APQS Ultimate 1 with a 12 foot table. It is very plain Jane--no bells or whistles. I haven't had much time to play with it. I have a lot to learn!
It is set up in our old farm house living room--the only place large enough for it. I quilted a large piece of muslin all over and all over again. I'm a regular reader of the APQS forum. I'm making notes of all the advice about tension, thread, batting, maintenance, etc. I even bought a CL board from someone.
I loaded some fabric to test out using this template called 7 Treasures of Budda. This is my first completed project--it's even been through the washer and dryer.
This wild and crazy bright colored monkey fabric makes me smile. I like how the design goes with the circles.
My main problem was with tension. I have ordered some different quilting thread. It will just take some time to learn how to adjust things for the best outcome. I'm excited to have more time to get acquainted with this machine. Hopefully this winter I will be able to spend more time. I'm practicing by doodling every chance I get.
I really had given up on the idea buying a long arm. I didn't feel like I could justify buying something that I didn't have a lot of time to use. After my older sister passed away in January, I've been thinking about what's on "my bucket list". I had an opportunity to buy this machine and decided to go for it. It is very gently used. Although it doesn't have any extras, I think it will serve my purposes. You probably won't see any amazing quilting, but I hope to complete more quilts.
DH is off to Dakota Fest (a large Farm Show) today with a neighbor. I'm looking forward to a day of doing whatever I want to---so many, many choices!





WOW how wonderful for both your Uncle and aunt to celebrate such amazing special birthdays and for you to be able to share it with them....
ReplyDeleteHmm I am sure you will be playing with your new toy while you have some me time....
Enjoy your time playing. You'll really enjoy the quilting machine and I think simple is better. I know I love mine. I feel so productive.
ReplyDeleteHow very exciting. You will do great!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the birthday wishes, Janet. Your aunt and uncle look absolutely amazing and nowhere near their ages. Aging is so different for so many people. And I am so glad you have your longarm! I hope you have lots of fun with it and complete many quilts. You are such a hard working woman (and your husband, too) and you deserve spending time doing something you love when you can. Enjoy!! Carol
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to your uncle and aunt, Janet! Amazing they are both so active yet. glad you finally got some rain too. Every time I heard S. Dakota in the news, I would think of you. Hope you're enjoying playing with the long-arm. Practice makes perfect! HUGS!
ReplyDeleteJanet, in your top photo, what is the animal in the middle of the mown hay--or am I just seeing things?
ReplyDeleteI love your photos. You see the beauty in the world around you and share it with us.
Congrats on the new toy!!! Boy I hope I look that good if I ever get near to 100!!!
ReplyDeleteIt's always so nice to get to spend time with family and celebrate each other. Makes for great memories!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you! You are going to have a ball quilting up a storm!
What you've done so far is amazing to me!! Good luck with working it all out and have lots of fun!!
ReplyDeleteSaw you are now following my blog -- Thank You! And congratulations to your dh's uncle & aunt's birthdays. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteSo happy for you and your new living room "furniture!" I have a Classic Gammill and just love being able to FMQ my quilts and helping others finish their quilts.
Re: thread... I love Superior Threads' So Fine in bobbin and on top. I had tension problems with my prior longarm when using King Tut. You are brilliant to practice, practice, practice. When I started longarming would load pre-printed panels and practice outlining, doing all kinds of general filler stitches (my all time fav remains Loops), different border stitching, etc. They make great Project Linus quilts.
Enjoy!