The plan this year was to calve 10 days later than usual and miss out on all the cold and snowy weather in March. It is just too much extra work for the old people that work on this ranch. Mother Nature had other plans for this year. We received 12 inches of snow last Thursday night and Friday morning. The really heavy wet "good" kind of snow. It's good for farmers, but not so good for ranchers right now.
It's really amazing to me how tough these little guys are. If they have had a good start they have so far been doing pretty well with surviving the weather. This little one is a couple weeks old. He was born on a 50 degree day and is wondering what happened to his world.
There was straw on the ground for everyone to lay on, but it quickly got covered up with snow. The cows huddle together out of the wind together by the calving shed. Thankfully the wind has not blown as hard as it did the first two days, so the wind chill has not been a killer.
A good mom finds a nice dry place for her baby. We did have some that felt the need to deliver their calf in a snow bank. These little "popsicles" are loaded up and taken to the shop to "cook" by the furnace. We had 5 of those little ones, but everyone thawed well and returned to their mothers. We keep those pairs in the old red barn so they have a chance to build up their immune systems again. We give them extra nutrients and shots to prevent pneumonia. They are also separate, so they are easy to check on if they need more help.
Just a quick post this morning while I have a quick break. I really should be doing laundry and cleaning. The maid hasn't show up at all for a week. I'll have to have a severe talk with her--right after I get a nap someday.
There will be no sitting on the deck for a day or two. It has snowed or rained every day for a week now. We had 6 more inches yesterday. BIL Ron came and helped yesterday--awesome guy! The weather man has promised sunshine this afternoon and we need it badly. It will be the best medicine for everyone. Of course, there will be alot of mud to deal with--warmer temperatures would be great for the little guys.
I'll post again when time permits. Miss you all. I haven't had time to read blogs either.





Oh Janet the snow looks beautiful but BOY it sure is hard work for you guys and not easy for the new Mums and babies.
ReplyDeleteHope the sun shines soon and stays that way for you all.
I think your maid needs sacking. LOL
Oh I see you have a new camera.
I feel so sorry for the calves in this weather. I hope you don't have many left to calve so you can get some sleep!
ReplyDeleteOh golly a test for sure. Hang in there. Poor babies.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you, Janet.
ReplyDeleteYour patio chair will still be there once the snow IS GONE ! ! Like that is going to happen any time soon. The daydream of sitting there with your feet with a glass of tea close at hand would be the only thing that would get me through.
Hugs,
Gerry
I hope all of the babies will be fine, they are so cute. Can you believe this weather? Next stop, summer!
ReplyDeleteHope those black beauties are cooperating for you... Like kids, life is always easier when they listen!
ReplyDeleteLet someks like you have your hands full! Hope you can get some rest soon and I'm praying for warmer weather and sunshine for you real soon.
ReplyDeleteThe poor little guys look so chilly. It is amazing that they can survive all of that. I hope you survive as well until things warm up a bit. Best of luck.
ReplyDeleteThose poor cows and you guys too. I know there is alot of work that goes into farming/ranching. You may be working extremely hard right now but I hope you are still able to take a second and enjoy the new calves that are being born.
ReplyDeleteIf they survive this they will survive everything.
ReplyDeleteI hope it's soon getting easyer for you and your family.
Roos
Oh my--still winter storms at your house and all these tornado;s in the mid-and eastern states---
ReplyDeleteMaybe the weather will get all it's 'furry' out now and then we will all have a great spring and summer!!! I will add a good prayer for those babies and for you all some rest--and some much needed sunshine--hey any way you could box up this snow and send it to Texas to help with those wild fires---that would be neat!!!
Hugs, di and miss gracie
I would gladly trade you some of our heat here in Texas.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful pictures
Billie
WOW! What a neat post!
ReplyDeleteHi Janet, glad you got a new camera to show off your Spring Fury! Wow! I'm glad the calves are all doing good. What a way to enter the world, eh? Hope you guys can rest soon. You make me tired just reading all about your lives. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteOk, Janet, I'll quit complaining about our rain and 40* days. (grin) I keep thinking what happened to spring. You guys have it much, much worse. Good luck with calving. Hope the weather clears up soon for you.
ReplyDeleteYou are getting the snow and we are getting the rain.
ReplyDeleteBless your hearts! I will be glad when you finally have the Spring weather we are enjoying.
ReplyDeleteWhat a hard life you dear people are living right now! I hope the sun comes out soon and melts your snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! God bless! Carol
ReplyDeleteJust reading your post and it sounds alot like our life right now! Very little snow but rain everyday the calves just need a dry place to get a good start. Like you my husband and son haul the pairs to a barn. It makes for long days and nights. I told my son it was a test and he said what kind of test a test of your endurance and trust in God! I think he has both. Lots of luck to you and your calves.
ReplyDeleteOh my! What we wouldn't give for moisture, but I know that it has arrived at the worst possible time for y'all. Your Mamas and babies are blessed with such fabulous stewards. Our poor babies are not so lucky as to have a calving barn. Lately our little ones have had to stay hunkered down under mesquite bushes in order to not be blown over by the mighty NM winds. Praying for warmer weather for y'all and a good long nap!
ReplyDeleteI hope by now your weather has stabilized, maybe has gotten a bit warmer, and you've had a chance to rest without the rush, rush, rush of the calving. We'll be waiting patiently for you and know that life on the ranch is to be cared for first -- blogging is down the line of importance.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you and yours, Janet.