Friday, November 25, 2011

Another Recipe


 Are you resting after your big Thanksgiving day feast?   We had a nice time at SIL eating and visiting.  It was a small group and very relaxing.  She sent home left overs so we enjoyed a turkey sandwich at lunch today.  I thought I would post a recipe that is very yummy and you can use your leftover turkey in it.  It's quick and easy too.  I made it with chicken for the quilt group last time and every one wanted the recipe.

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 T butter
1/2 c celery
1/3 c onion
1/3 c carrots
4 c chicken broth
2 c water
2 c boneless chicken or leftover turkey
1 package of quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning package
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
3/4 c flour
1/2 c butter
2 c cream  ( I have used 1/2 and 1/2 or just milk too.  Of course it's really good with cream. lol)

In a large pot over medium heat saute vegetables with a T of butter.  Add broth, water and meat.  Bring to a boil, then stir in rice without the seasoning packet.  Cover and remove from the heat.  In a small bowl combine the seasoning packet and the flour.  In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter, stir in flour mixture by tablespoons until a roux is made.  Whisk in cream a little at a time until all is together smoothly.  Cook until thick--5 minutes or so.  Stir cream mixture into broth.  Cook over medium heat until heated through--10 to 15 minutes.




Here is a picture taken at the Casey Tibbs Annual Tribute supper with my cousin, Gary.  He was honored as a Rodeo Cowboy Great.  Gary is a self-made cowboy.  He wanted to rodeo since he was a small boy.  He mostly competed in calf roping, team roping and steer wrestling.  He certainly deserved this honor.



It was amazing to see the collection of  some of his awards all in one place.  He has won Rodeo events in New Zealand and Australia.  His wife, April is from Australia.   I enjoyed the program immensely.  We also walked through the museum too. 


BIL and nephew are coming back to deer hunt this week-end. They are going to help us wean calves on Saturday too. We'll have turkey while they are here, so we'll have our own leftovers to eat.  The calves have done well this summer as you can see they have really grown.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Janet- I will definitely try out that recipe - sounds delicious! Love reading your blog, this city girl enjoys seeing how others make their way in the world. Your cousin sounds like he's had a very interesting life. Take care-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    Your recipes sound so good and pretty easy! I’m going to print them off and try ‘em out! Thanks!

    Sounds like winding up of the heavy work now. Hope soon you can relax and sew!

    A spotted skunk! Never knew that skunks had any variety other than black with the white stripe! Interesting, although I’d be mighty glad there was a glass door between us! I think you need to make a note and post it somewhere close to the deck so you remember to bring in the tempting food. You have a few critters you just don’t need hanging around, especially if you have kitties you feed outside!

    Carol (NJ)

    PS Congrats to your cousin on that honor! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! When I was a kid, I had two favorite events each year. 1. The Fresno Fair, the other was going to the Clovis Rodeo. Fond memories. Your cousin sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that soup recipe sounds wonderful. I will hace to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup sounds really yummy. Will pop the recipe away for the cooler weather. thanks Janet.
    Nice photo of your cousin and you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see young Peanut looking so comfy too :-) X X X

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the time of the year that I enjoy soups the most! Your soup recipe sounds delicious.

    Sweet photo of the kitty curled up taking a cat nap!

    ReplyDelete