Last night as I lay in bed I wondered if "it" was wearing out--you know that gene that women have that allows them to be flexible and multi-task. My birthday in December will be a "big" milestone number and that is what causes all these wonderings. I think back to when I worked full time managing a busy post office with 530 PO boxes, 2 clerks and 4 mail routes, had two teen age girls in every school activity available and commuted 60 miles daily from the ranch we own and operate. How did I do all that? I know sometimes I didn't do it all well, but I did it all. One morning this week with laundry started, bread dough rising, beets cooking on the stove while I was mixing up ginger snap cookies, DH yelled in "I need you to help me!!" My "snap to--drop everything" feature kind of did a stall. It was the kind of noise our old freezer made when it was deciding to kick in or not. I did kick in tho--shutting off the burner under the beets, check the clock, put on shoes and jacket--gloves? check--off I go.
I did make it back in time to save the bread dough. I finished mixing up the cookies. I baked half of the dough and put the rest in the refrigerator to bake later.
After dinner it was back to working on the beets. Aren't they pretty?
DH likes pickled beets. I ended up with 14 pints and 1 quart of pickles. There were enough left for buttered beets for supper. Thank you, sis!
We are working cattle today. The calves are getting shots and wormed preparing them for weaning in 10 days. The cows will be wormed. Michelle and Seth came home to help. Neighbor Andrew and BIL Ron complete the crew.
Tonight we are attending a supper at the Casey Tibbs South Dakota Rodeo Center in Ft. Pierre. My cousin Gary is one of the honorees. He is a roper and will be honored as "Rodeo Cowboy Great".
Another busy week has passed by and each day I think of things to tell you and seems to be no time to post. I did get the borders sewn on June Bug, but nothing else in the sewing department. Our moderate weather is holding and no snowflakes yet.


I can see why you haven't found time to post. Sounds like you've been busy!
ReplyDeleteJanet, I love pickled beats. I haven't had any for years, though. I am sure they have more sugar that I am supposed to have as a diabetic. I used to be able to sit down and eat a pint jar of them. I hope you dh enjoys them. Those rolls also look awesome. Hopefully things will be slowing down soon for you. Then you can get some good sewing time in. (grin) Have a good one, my friend.
ReplyDeleteHello Janet,
ReplyDeleteLove the fresh baked bread. Mmmm beetroot.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo
Beautiful Header Photo.
ReplyDeleteBoy you sure are always keep so very busy on the ranch Janet.
The bun looks delicious and my DH would love your beet pickles.
Have a wonderful super at the Rodeo.
Loved your post (would love to share those beets with your dh!) and I, too, think back at how much I used to get done. Now, if I go to for groceries and clean the bathroom it's a "full" day. But I am so blessed to be able to do what I do and I try not to think about what I "should" be doing. What doesn't get done, doesn't matter.
ReplyDeleteYeah, it’s awful getting older, isn’t it? I’m amazed at how busy you are! I’m glad you were able to get everything accomplished you set out to do, just not in “your” time! Lol
ReplyDeleteAwesome header photograph!
Hope those snowflakes hold off a bit longer but then you’ll be able to spend more time sewing and cooking.
Carol (NJ)
Wow..you accomplished a lot! I love pickled beets too and when I said something to my daughter about them, she said she had never had any. Now how can that be?
ReplyDelete:-) I KNOW YOUR BIRTHDAY IS IN DECEMBER :-)
ReplyDeletexx xx try not to think of the years, just the day dear friend, it's your special day X X X
:-) X X X
i love your post! thanks for sharing God bless you ... loves soraya
ReplyDeleteDoesn't sound like you are slowing down to me. You always seem to live very full days!
ReplyDeleteLOL! The title of my last post was 'The old gray mare just ain't what she used to be' so I understand completely. I often wonder how we did it all too. I'm always writing posts in my head and they never seem to make it to the keyboard. It's a struggle to post even once a week. Hope your supper celebration was a fun night. Very cool for your cousin.
ReplyDelete