Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving


Sorry it's not a turkey! It's the first of new potholders I'm making. I felt like I needed a sewing finish to share with you. It is the only sewing I've done. We have had deer hunters, so the sewing room is a bedrooom again. I've been busy cooking and helping DH get ready to wean calves this week-end. We've been fixing fence, putting in new posts and hanging a new gate.


As you can see from the new header and this picture we received snow last week-end. We ended up with about 6  inches. I'm really not ready for the cold or the snow. I need to get new winter boots! Today is a beautiful sunny and almost warm (42 F) day. The snow is melting--yeah!


The haygrinder came this afternoon. DH will be busy with him, so I'm baking the buns I'm taking to my SIL for Thanksgiving. I thought maybe you would like the recipe. It uses the bread machine to mix and knead them.


Bread Machine Buns

1 1/4 c warm milk
2 T margarine
1 egg
1/4 c sugar
3/4 t salt
3 3/4 c bread flour
2 t bread machine yeast

I set my machine on mix and first rise. After 1 hour and 40 minutes the dough has risen to the top of the bucket. I dump the dough out and cut into 12 pieces. Shape into buns or dinner rolls (15 x 10 for buns or a 9 x 13 pan for dinner rolls) They usually take about 30 - 45 minutes for the second rise.
  350 degrees for 12 -14 minutes or nice and brown. I like this recipe, because I can put it all in the bucket and go do other things. I've also used the same dough to make caramel or cinnamon rolls.


We had a new visitor on the deck last night eating the cat food.


It is a spotted skunk.  It didn't take long to clear the cats out.  It never sprayed but acted agressively to the cats and waved it's tail high.   We've had a raccoon and a possum in the last 10 days helping themselves too.   I need to remember to bring the pan in at night.  It's hard to shoot them on the deck and when they take off they usually run under the deck.  I'm hoping without the temptation of food our visitors will stay away.

We have so much to be thankful for here.  We will be headed to DH's youngest sister's home for a huge dinner.  I'm sure their little grandson will be the entertainment for the afternoon.  We haven't seen him for a while.  He turned a year old a couple weeks ago.  DD 1 is working the 10 am to 10:30 pm shift at the Healthcare.  DD 2 will share the holiday with friends in Pensacola.  We will all be together for Christmas.  : )

Happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you and yours!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Janet. Thank you for the recipe! I will give it a try. My mom still bakes homemade rolls that she brings for all holidays. I am Thankful for the friendship we have found through our blogging, facebook, and prayer life. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH Janet, glad your visitor didn't leave his calling card. (grin) I love your pot holder. It is so cute. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your rooster potholder. Sometimes it is nice to have a finish. No matter how small.
    Your snow is cooling me down nicely Janet. I have the air con on as it was 38 deg cel today.

    You do get lots of unusual visitors.LOL

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Dinner with the family.
    How nice to have the girls home for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully, no one walked out and startled him (her?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. this thanksgiving I am thankful for you and for your blog site and all the things you share with us--besides the sewing--there is life out there too and it is good to see and hear about from you--
    blessings and hugs, Di and kitty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool visitor, but I wouldn't want him on my deck! Thanks for the roll recipe. I'm going to try those! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that potholder, and the fabric!! Out Thanksgiving was quiet, but we ate good:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy my bread machine as well. I like to make cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning breakfast and it's nice to have the bread machine make the dough for me.

    Cute potholder. Definitely wouldn't want your visitor. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of a spotted skunk. Learn something new every day reading my blog list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very cute potholder!
    You sure have some interesting visitors! I have never heard of a spotted skunk, but I'm sure his spray smells just as bad as the striped ones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe. I really must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute potholder! I'm in potholder mode around here too. I think I have 8 sets on my list. We love homemade bread around here so thank you for the recipe. Sounds like you are a busy lady.

    ReplyDelete