I've been everywhere, man! Just kidding, but I've been on the road every day. DH and I traveled to Edgely, ND on Friday to buy used double mowers for more hay making. Our old mowers are shot, so we bought better used mowers. Of course these mowers will take some fixing too.
DD1 moved from her one bedroom apartment to a small two bedroom house. It was only 108 F on Saturday and 113 F on Sunday. We helped her with some home improvement projects--shower curtain rod, closet rods, sink fixture and some other fix-its. So hot and humid! (DD 1 has had two more lesions removed. One of these has come back as needing additional surgery. Thank you for your prayers for her as she continues to visit the dermatologist.)
Monday was rake shopping day. We own half interest in a rake with one of the neighbors, but that isn't working out so well anymore. We both need it at the same time. After chores we headed to Onida to buy a used rake DH found on the internet. He told the salesman we were coming. After we had driven all the way there--the rake had been sold to another buyer. Poor communication between the implement business owner and his salesman--made for an unhappy DH. No sense wasting another day! Off we went to Huron to another implement dealer. We ended up buying a newer (more expensive) rake than we planned, but maybe this one won't need as much "fixin".
Tuesday I had an appointment to pick up my new glasses and have my eyes dilated and examined. I was diagnosed with ocular histoplasmosis in 1979 and had laser surgery, so I am faithful with my eye check ups. A scan of my macula looks different this year and now I am scheduled to see a retina specialist in August.
Wednesday I had my regular yearly check-up scheduled at the clinic. It's nice to know I'm healthy!
I was looking forward to staying home today. I've been to town once already for mower parts. Our "new" mower has taken more fixing than DH anticipated. It should be in fine condition once all the repairs are made.
No matter where we go, this little gal brings us home.
This is Lambie Pie. She was born June 2nd. She is a twin. Her mom chose the little bull calf and deserted the heifer. She sounded just like a little lamb when she cried. We tried and tried to get her mom to take both babies. No such luck. At birth Pie only weighed about 40 pounds. We have nursed her along and she is doing well now. We feed her morning and night and she drinks a gallon of milk replacer a day. In another week or so she will be put on pellet feed. She is in a pasture with her mom and brother and another cow, who likes both her twin bulls. She keeps us tied down, so no camping or fishing yet this summer. She is so cute and funny. Who can resist a little baby who comes running to be fed?
As you can see, no sewing so far this week---only traveling! It has been so hot and we pray for rain daily. The corn is starting to burn up--hard to watch. Some dark clouds passed over this morning as we were fixing on the mower and we each felt a few drops--such a teaser!! DH says he will never complain about a blizzard again. July has been a long series of hot, hot, dry days.
DD1 moved from her one bedroom apartment to a small two bedroom house. It was only 108 F on Saturday and 113 F on Sunday. We helped her with some home improvement projects--shower curtain rod, closet rods, sink fixture and some other fix-its. So hot and humid! (DD 1 has had two more lesions removed. One of these has come back as needing additional surgery. Thank you for your prayers for her as she continues to visit the dermatologist.)
Monday was rake shopping day. We own half interest in a rake with one of the neighbors, but that isn't working out so well anymore. We both need it at the same time. After chores we headed to Onida to buy a used rake DH found on the internet. He told the salesman we were coming. After we had driven all the way there--the rake had been sold to another buyer. Poor communication between the implement business owner and his salesman--made for an unhappy DH. No sense wasting another day! Off we went to Huron to another implement dealer. We ended up buying a newer (more expensive) rake than we planned, but maybe this one won't need as much "fixin".
Tuesday I had an appointment to pick up my new glasses and have my eyes dilated and examined. I was diagnosed with ocular histoplasmosis in 1979 and had laser surgery, so I am faithful with my eye check ups. A scan of my macula looks different this year and now I am scheduled to see a retina specialist in August.
Wednesday I had my regular yearly check-up scheduled at the clinic. It's nice to know I'm healthy!
I was looking forward to staying home today. I've been to town once already for mower parts. Our "new" mower has taken more fixing than DH anticipated. It should be in fine condition once all the repairs are made.
No matter where we go, this little gal brings us home.
This is Lambie Pie. She was born June 2nd. She is a twin. Her mom chose the little bull calf and deserted the heifer. She sounded just like a little lamb when she cried. We tried and tried to get her mom to take both babies. No such luck. At birth Pie only weighed about 40 pounds. We have nursed her along and she is doing well now. We feed her morning and night and she drinks a gallon of milk replacer a day. In another week or so she will be put on pellet feed. She is in a pasture with her mom and brother and another cow, who likes both her twin bulls. She keeps us tied down, so no camping or fishing yet this summer. She is so cute and funny. Who can resist a little baby who comes running to be fed?
As you can see, no sewing so far this week---only traveling! It has been so hot and we pray for rain daily. The corn is starting to burn up--hard to watch. Some dark clouds passed over this morning as we were fixing on the mower and we each felt a few drops--such a teaser!! DH says he will never complain about a blizzard again. July has been a long series of hot, hot, dry days.

Keep well Janet. I thought of you today and wow, there you are doing a post. :-) Take care dear friend... Want to export that calf :-) :-) ?
ReplyDeleteShe could be a house calf :-) Ah, why do they grow up :-) ?
lots of love xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and lots of good thoughts to DD 1
xxxxxxxxxxx
:-) x x x
I think almost everyone in the country is praying for rain; definitely in the Midwest. One of the local irrigation canals had a blowout; 4,000 acres are affected. Plus no sign of relief from the high temps. I guess pray is just about all we can do! Glad to see a post from you and that all is mostly well.
ReplyDeleteJanet, I so hear you. It has been horrible here this summer. No rain and extreme heat. It was 107* here a little while ago. Our garden bit the dust weeks ago. I am with your husband. No complaining about snow. This heat is horrid. Such a cute little calf. Praying for rain here too. Have a good one, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute little calf! She is lucky you were able to nurse her along. Hope all the equipment is up and working in time for harvest. It is too bad the rain never seems to be in the right amount at the right time.
ReplyDeleteI totally understand what you are writing about! I have experienced the trying all over to purchase equipment and being sent for parts! I have DH show me on the equipment exactly where it is located and what it does. That way the parts men know that I do know what I am talking about.
ReplyDeleteI have often thought I should write a book. Maybe you would want to co-author with me. The title would be, "What to Know Before Marrying A Farmer." Just think of all the chapters we could write!
We are also praying for rain for all the farmers who have crops. It is so hard to watch our hard work burn up.
Fascinating story about Lambie Pie - I love that she is being so well cared for!
ReplyDeleteHugs - Lurline
It sure has been a rough summer on my farmer friends. I hope you guys are okay....
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed for rain everywhere!
ReplyDeleteIt seems farmers are need rain everywhere ,even down under. We have having the most glorious winter days but we NEED rain .
ReplyDeleteHope DH has all his equipment up and running soon.
Love Linda's idea for you two to write a book.Great title.LOL
Pleased DD1 is keeping checks on her liasions and wishing you well with your eyes when you go to the specialist.
Pie is such a cutie, I didn't realise cows were sexist.....picking the male over the female.
Oh, Girl! You have been on the move! Buying equipment is frustrating. We're always fixing on something around here and trying to locate parts. DH is a jack of all trades and poor guy deserves a more competent mechanic than he has...me! :) Continued prayers for your girl...may she be blessed in her new nest too. And prayers for a good report from the retina specialist. I lost my eyesight completely years ago and if I ever see another specialist, it will be too soon, but they can do so much these days. I drew the line at the bovine eye pigmant they made me take. Sending extra prayers for rain. Y'all have had an even hotter summer than we have this year. We had those extreme temps all last summer and it is not fun. Ugh. We are in dire need of rain as well. Your bovine baby is sweet. This is the first year we haven't had a doggie in...well I can't remember when. I second that book! I love reading journals from farmer's and rancher's wives. I often wish I had kept one from the time we were married. My mom always said I should write one. She just sent me one titled, "Don't Make M go to Town". Perfect title for me. :) Whew. I'm a tad longwinded this morning! :)
ReplyDelete