Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Raking and Raining

It rained .15 this morning early.  It wasn't much, but better than NOTHING.   We will take every drop that God provides and not complain---I promise not to complain.  Please just send us some more--you know us humans -   never satisfied!  Seriously there is another 30% chance for tonight--bring it on, Lord!!    It's 91 F this afternoon and the guys are finishing up combining our Spring Wheat.

DH and I have been making some hay too.  I'm the raker.  (Please excuse the dirty tractor windows--yes, that is bird  poo.)



The rake takes two rows of hay and throws them together in one big row for the baler to pick up.   I was kind of nervous, because this was the "new to us" rake and we hadn't tried it yet.  It worked very well! 




Actually I'm ahead of DH and I'll eventually lap him.



 See I'm catching up to him.


He has to stop when the baler is full of hay, wait for it to wrap it with twine and pop it out.  I just keep going around and around--no stops.  I just have to watch for rocks and badger holes and not put the row of hay over them--especially rocks.  Rocks do very bad things to the inner workings of a baler.  It's very comfortable in the tractor--AC of course.  I use the time to pray for rain and people on my prayer list.  So it is time well spent!

I've told you before that sometimes when I haven't gotten to sew for a while I have a hard time not buying quilt supplies.  It's like a "fix" I need.  I've been really good this year and haven't been buying anything.  I lost control recently!  Today's Quilting sent me an email and tempted me with their sale.
I highly recommend this quilt shop.  They ship very, very quickly too.



I have such a weakness for Me & My Sister designs.  The Good Morning charm packs were calling my name.


There were some books on sale too.  This one is by Gathering Friends I love their books.  This book has 11 table runners and 2 table toppers.  They are all very quick and easy to make.  They are also easy to make smaller or larger..  I like making table toppers for gifts and I like making different ones.


I'm a Nancy Halverson fan.  I have almost all of her books.  I like this book, because parts of the quilt can be used for table runners or wall hangings too.  And I'm just a sucker for Nancy Halverson designs--what can I say? 

My last splurge was some Froggin by Sue Zipkin for Clothworks.  This is just the cutest fabric.  It will make a nice baby or child's quilt. 


Can you resist a frog face like that?


The green print has such cute fish, snails and turtles on it too.


It's true I didn't need this fabric, but it filled a need inside of me.  My creative need is hungry.  I really need to find time to feed it---SOON!   lol  Thank you for letting me share my new stuff with you!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Janet, we are in the same boat. It rained here this morning - just a wee bit - but like you said, better something than nothing. I'm spending lots of time praying for rain too!

    You know, sometimes you just have to treat yourself. You got some really cute things, and I, too, love the Me & My Sister designs. And those froggie fabrics are just too cute. They really will make an adorable baby/toddler quilt!

    Keep up the good work on the raker...I'm sure your DH is so happy to have your help!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see the new rake is working out well.

    Hope you got some of that rain. I was just in the garden and we have lost pretty much everything now. It was 85° at 4:30 a.m. when I was walking. Heat index (which we call humiture) was 93°.

    I seem to have a thing for Me & My Sister, too. I wish the LQSs would carry it but none of the three within 2 hrs drive time do.

    All of that fabric will make great children's quilts.

    I spend time when I am pressing or chain piecing praying, too. When we still farmed I spent a LOT of time on the tractor praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased your "new" rake worked well. Hope you get some rain soon...
    Oh what gorgeous Books and fabrics Janet... You can now sew some new beautiful projects...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! When I saw the word 'rain' in your title, my heart lept for joy!! I spend a lot of time praying for rain...and other things, but that's a good thing to spend your time doing. You and DH make a good team! Glad you have air conditioning while your driving your 'big green tractor'. I know, it's probably not green, but the song just took over. I too tend to buy quilty things when I am unable to sew and I am so excited about your new acquisitions! I can not wait to see what you create! I love table runners and have numerous ones on my list. And I adore that froggy fabric. I have a frog baby quilt that is telling me that it needs to be made. I have a stash of Meadow Friends that I have been hoarding because I fell in love with the frogs. I have my prince, but I am still smitten with all these cute frog fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete