Thursday, December 13, 2012

Merry, Merry

It looks a little more like Christmas around here outside any way.  Last week-end we had 6 inches of snow and a one day blizzard.


It was pretty hard to see and the wind chill was the coldest we have had it.  Mother Nature reminded us that it is winter and we better be ready for it.   Of course, the first thing that happened -- I had to call DH and tell him I didn't have any water in the house.  That also meant the calves probably didn't have water either.


Just look at all that wonderful wet stuff--yeah, moisture for this dry, dusty country.  It was nice to get the dust settled! 

It doesn't matter if it's cold or blizzarding--the cattle have to eat.  When you live at least 30 miles from a store and 80 miles from a Large store, you learn to keep extras on hand.  Thank goodness we had an extra well switch on hand, so we could get the water running again.  DH had to scoop a foot of snow off the well cover and use a ladder to climb down in the pit.  The wind was howling and I was handing down the tools.  I'm very thankful it was such an easy fix!  There was no time for pipes to freeze up or cattle to get thirsty.  Just another day of fun on the farm.

I had a few minutes this week to whip up a new scrappy Christmas table runner.  "Whip up"  is rather a joke tho.  That first strip of fabric got ripped out twice before I finally got it right.  I wanted to quilt as I went--oops the bobbin thread needs to match my backing.  Then I realized I needed to start with two strips (right sides together) after I resewed one strip down.   This ole girl can't whip anymore it's been too long between projects.   I'm proud that I got it completed in two days.   It looks so much prettier in person--sparklier!  Plain and simple but looks very nice on the table. 


I've been trying to work on some Gypsy Girl every now and then between this and that.  I have to admit at one time I was a "quilt snob"--actually rather ashamed to admit.  Now I realize that sewing any fabric together is just good therapy and fun.  I don't need to make quilt blocks or a fancy pattern.  I just "need" to sew.   Sewing for the pure love of fabric and color is sometimes enough to soothe my soul.


No promises on getting back to blogging regularly. I have good intentions, but the days go fast and I go slower every day. 

5 comments:

  1. Now that is real winter! Hope everything is going more smoothly. I totally agree that pushing fabric through a sewing machine is excellent therapy - it makes me a happier gal. Take care and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so cold! I think your runner is lovely and I'll bet it's a beautiful addition to your table. Such pretty fabrics in your second project. Good to see a post from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much snow and cold!!! It's really a "true winter time". Here too right now it's snowing.
    Your projects are very lovely.
    Big hugs
    Eli

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live in a beautiful world, it is far away from everything .
    Fortunately the cows have water again thanks your handy man.
    Your table runner looks great, I love the colours.
    Have a Merry Christmas. Hugs Tiny

    ReplyDelete