Thursday, February 14, 2013

Blogging and Sharing

I started blogging because I wanted to join the fun in the quilting community.  Quilt alongs and give aways were the attraction.  I've gotten to know so many nice people.  Bloggers have become my friends.   Initially I thought I would only share my quilting, recipes and farm life, but real life sometimes doesn't leave a lot of time for just those activities.

I started January out thinking I was going to get so organized and get so much done.  I wanted to spend less time on the internet, eat healthier and sew, sew, sew.  SO where have I been for the last month--almost a month without a blog post.  I've been living life and not really very pleasantly.  Because you are my friends, I'll share with you:



On January 17th my older sister called to let me know that she hadn't been feeling well the last couple weeks and had been to the clinic.  They were treating her for a bladder infection, but after a couple days she was feeling worse.  The blood panel they did showed alarming things going on in her blood.  On Friday a friend took her to Omaha NE and on Saturday morning they did a bone marrow test. My healthy, vibrant 68 year old sister, Kay was diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukemia AML.   She passed away the following Wednesday night, January 23rd. 

I'm so thankful that we had two weddings, a birthday celebration picnic and a sister trip last year.  Kay came for both weddings and the picnic.  Since our parents are no longer living, we siblings don't get together very often.  My older brother died four years ago and we've been reluctant to take a picture of just the four of us.  It just didn't feel right.


Last year we took pictures.  I'm so glad we did, even if little brother had to be persuaded to take the time at his son's wedding.


It's always comforting to have old pictures to look at too.

 
The three girls on "old" Pepper. 
 
 
Easter in my grandparents back yard.
 
 
This is Kay with her three sons - the loves of her life.  She married a dairy farmer and worked very, very hard and never had much luxury in her life.   Her marriage ended in divorce and it took years of pain, patience and strength to build a life for herself and relationships with her boys.  The last few years she had made a move.   She loved her job at an assisted living facility,  her cute little house and her church family.  She liked to garden, can and bake.  She never visited her boys without bringing homemade jelly and baked goods.  She sewed many of her own clothes in her early life, including her wedding dress.  The boys' shirts in this picture were made by her.  She had just started quilting in recent years.  She liked to travel.   She had taken a trip to Branson, MO, a river boat trip and a Fall colors bus trip.  We had such a fun sister trip to Arkansas to see my aunt.  We were planning another girl trip this year to the beach in Florida.  
 
She was the healthiest and happiest I've know her to be the last few years.   She was probably the most health conscious of all of us.  She exercised and watched what she ate.  "I have to take good care of myself, because I have no one to take care of me." she would often say.   She had come to a time in her life where she didn't have to work so hard and could take time to do some fun things.   It's been a shock to lose her so quickly.  I went to Omaha on Sunday and spent her last days and nights on this earth with her.  I still can't believe my beautiful and loving sister is gone.   I'm thankful that she didn't suffer.  It was a special time and I'm thankful that I could be there with her.   I so admire her faith and strength.    We will all miss her.
 
Of course, I came home and immediately came down with the "crud".  I was unable to attend the memorial service in Nebraska, but did go to the one in our home town.  The combination of exhaustion, "crud" and grief have kept me in a very dark place the last couple weeks.  I'm feeling better physically now and I know that the mental will improve with time.   It always amazes me and sometimes makes me angry how life just seems to go on.   I'm working my way through the black hole and the gray time and I know the sun will shine again in my life.  I selfishly want my sister and she has gone on ahead to be with my parents and two of my brothers.  We will all be together again some day. 
 
My desk top computer died this last week.  It's going no where, but the dump probably.  It has my email account on it, addresses and tons and tons of quilting ideas and patterns.  (yes, I do have backup)  I need to decide if I'm going to replace it.  I haven't heard anything good about Windows 8.   I miss not having the printer available, but I could probably install that on my lap top.   Decisions, decisions--not very important problems at least. 
 
I hope to get back to my 2013 goals.  I've done well with less time on the internet.  I can't believe February is half over!!  Happy Valentine's Day by the way.  I made DH chocolate chip cookies yesterday.  See I am feeling better.  Thank you dear friends for reading this long post and sharing my ramblings.  I've missed you and will be back.  Hugs...................

29 comments:

  1. Just letting you know that we're out here in space reading about you and your life, sharing our love of crafts and quilting, and supporting you as you mourn the loss of your sister. LindaC from Green Valley, AZ and Blaine, MN

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your sister. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May God continue to flourish you with wonderful memories of your sister. Memories - thank you Dear Lord for them. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be well, Janet. Strength is the ability to go from one thing to the next. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to you and your family Janet.

    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, God did indeed give us arms... and I wish I could wrap mine around you and hold you close, as I am sure HE is doing from above. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, and will be keeping you in my prayers. Keep your chin up when you can, and when you can't, know that many of your readers and friends are thinking of you and ready to lend an ear whenever you need one.
    Psalm 91:11

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. I'm glad you were able to spend those last days with her. My prayers to you and the family as you all work through your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time I have been to your blog, and I am so sorry about the sudden loss of your sister. May God give you peace and comfort during the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. I'm sure it's not much comfort, but at least she didn't suffer long. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry about your sister. I hope the coming days will be much better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Janet, I am sorry for your sudden loss. I am so glad you were able to spend that precious time with your sister. Hugs to you and prayers to all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet, I am so very sorry for the loss of your big sister. I am glad you got to spend time with her. Please know I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Janet, I have been thinking and praying for you especially during past few weeks. Memories are special to hold on to. I am so thankful that we discovered each other in Blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since Kay was older, I never knew her. There were some missing pieces on fb and in the obituary. This helps me to fill in the gaps and understand better. I am sorry for your loss, your pain, your crud, and the other uphill challenges in your life in 2013. I know that Kay;s passing brought your daughter home from Florida and that had to be a bright light in all the other darkness. Best wishes for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless, Janet - I wish I could hold you in my arms and turn a little light on!
    Love - Lurline.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing Janet. My heart goes out to you and your siblings. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. How nice it was that you were able to do some good things together before this all happened. It will be those sweet memories that will see you through this most difficult time. It is never easy to lose a loved one. I hope that you will regain your health and feel like doing those things you wanted to do the first of the year. Please take care. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry for your loss... I am so glad that you had that time to spend with her. Knocking on wood, I hope that I will be able to face that sort of loss with the dignity and love that you have shown. ( I have four sisters and three brothers and I am the oldest)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am deeply sorry about the loss of your sister. I will pray for you....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry for the loss of your sister. Losing her so quickly makes it more difficult for you probably, but at least she didn't go through years of pain etc.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear of your loss Janet. You are in my heart and thoughts at this sad time....
    Hang on to your wonderful memories.
    Hope you get out of your hole soon..
    Look forward to seeing some of your sewing creations soon.
    Huge Hugs
    Maria XX

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry for your loss - I hope writing it all down and our comments helps you in some way ..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry for the lost of your sister. You have wonderful memories , and think she didn't through years of pain.
    Hugs Tiny

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry as well Janet. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry for the lost of your sister,but I;m glad you were able to share some recent good times with her. I;m glad the her life got easier for her toward the end too.
    Hugs and prayers

    ReplyDelete
  25. You made a very good job, so much love went into that post Janet. x x x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so sorry that you lost your sister. My heart breaks for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. how very sad Janet.....I bet you have a lifetime and more sweet memories of a lady that no doubt will live forever in your heart

    ReplyDelete
  28. Janet, I'm so sorry about your sister. Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss. All the best, Susan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  29. O, I am so sorry about your loss and extend my sympathy to you. How sad to lose your special loved one.

    ReplyDelete