Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Fog and Frustration


It was a very foggy morning.  The frost covers everything and makes for a pretty, white fairy land.  It's so much prettier in person.   My pictures just don't do it justice.



The frost covers everything.  lol  End of  fog-- now for frustration.

I spent most of yesterday trying to free motion quilt.  I mostly quilted on fabric sandwiches.  I was trying to use some variegated Sulky thread.  I think the problem was that it was #12 weight.  I had cleaned my machine and put in a size 90 needle.  I kept getting big skipped stitches.  I adjusted and adjusted the tension.  I took things apart and rethreaded.  I sewed and sewed and sewed.  I finally gave up.

This afternoon I used plain pink #50 cotton thread from Connecting Thread and an 80 needle.  I adjusted and sewed and adjusted and sewed.  I took things apart and put them back together.  I sewed and sewed.  Finally I was ready to quilt Gypsy!


I still have a few skipped stitches, but they aren't large and are far and few between.  I am about one third done.  I can't wait to get to the binding part!!  I'm not guaranteeing this will be done by the end of February.  I hope this spool of thread last to the end!

10 comments:

  1. The frost and fog pictures are beautiful! :)

    Sorry to read about your FMQ frustrations. Sounds like you are conquering them, though.

    Just a few thoughts ... Are you using a new needle? For me skipped stitches, especially in free motion, usually means I need a new or better needle. Also, is it a universal needle or a microtex sharp or topstitch needle? I am no expert, but I have found that better needles (which I buy at JoAnns or Hobby Lobby with a coupon) can make a big difference in my quilting. The other thing that can cause skipped stitches or tension problems for me is just me fighting my machine. If I move the fabric too fast for the rythym of my speed setting, I just plain mess it up. When I start, I use a slow speed and try to be patient and get in rythmn as as move the quilt around under the needle. Sometimes I can speed it up as I go along but I find slow and steady works best for me. I also wear Machingers gloves when I quilt to better grip the fabric. I have had the same pair for four-five years and toss them in the washing machine with my finer stuff when need be. I rub a little of a nice smelling hand lotion on just before putting on the gloves for the lovely scent and I turn on some music and just try to relax and enjoy. Hope something in this might help.

    Looking forward to seeing Gypsy Girl in all her quilted beauty ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures of the fog. Great day for quilting! Your Gypsy Girl looks lovely! Hope you figure out your skipping stitches problem! I use a top stitching needle, jeans needle or a quilting needle when. Free motion quilting. Sometimes needles are bad right out of the package.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty pictures! I've had problems with fusible batting, some cheap 80/20 batting from JoAnns and Klass brand needles. #12 is very heavy thread though, usually a 40/50 is suggested. Hope the rest goes better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fog pictures. You are a much braver lady than I am. I have written off free motion quilting as a skill I will ever have and now that I'm over the guilt, I feel OK about that decision. I do, however admire anyone who does free motion. Good luck! I can't wait to see your finished quilt. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks nice and cool. It's 42 cel again here today..
    Hope you are having fun doodling and now doing your FMQ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. {{{{{{{{{{Janet}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    I just read your blog entries back to Jan. 14. I'm sooo sorry to hear about your sister's passing. We never forget our loved ones and I'm glad you have found your way back to sewing and other happier pasttimes. I admire your tenacity with the FMQ work, as frustrating as it seems. I can't wait to see the finished product! It's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spent part of Saturday struggling with the same thing on my treadle machine. I mixed up my bobbins accidentally and put the wrong one in the machine. Everything was too loose. When I tightened both tensions up, it worked like a charm. For me, tension is the most frustrating thing about sewing. Be well and enjoy the white stuff. We'd be glad for anything wet, no matter how it came. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been using the thread from Connecting Thread too. I also use an 80 neddle, and have pretty good luck.I loaded up on thread when they had it on sale:) Hope it goes good on the rest of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope that fog brought in some moisture! Looks like the perfect sewing day. I hope you've gotten your FMQ sorted out. I get frustrated too. I want it to be easy and I want to know how to do it now. I know...practice, practice, practice.

    ReplyDelete