I thought this block design needed to have contrast to really "pop". I haven't ever made blocks like this before. It was so easy--no seams to match. Something else I like was the way the seams on the back all press down so neatly. I love when that happens and everything lays so nice and flat. I get thrilled easily as you can see. This quilt along has been fun and meeting the people who are designing the blocks is a nice bonus. This is only block 3, so you can still catch up, if you have a jelly roll you want to use. One new block every 2 weeks. I put the button on the side--new thing to learn for me. Not sure I did it right, but it works.
We had 2 babies yesterday. Our 1 long horn cow had her baby--a cute little reddish black heifer. Most of our cows are Black Angus/Simmental cross. My BIL brought this long horn to us about 12 years ago. It's always a mystery what her calf will look like. Last year she had a little spotted one like herself. Here is a picture of the long horn. I need to start carrying my camera, so I can take some baby pictures for you. Tomorrow is April 1st and that is when we are suppose to start with the calving season.
DH still has lots of fence to fix, so I'll just be checking moms today. I plan to cut out and start sewing the blocks for the Pinwheel Sampler quilt along at psiquilt. I am using a Blush layer cake and also making a scrappy green and purple set, so I have 4 blocks to make. These blocks have been fun, but there are points to match. I like pinwheel blocks. This is a weekly quilt along. I am trying to stay on task, so I don't get behind. I've found it really motivates me to keep up and post on flicker. It's so much fun to see all the different colors that people are using.
That's it for today. I'm off to start a load of laundry and pick up a little. I need to enjoy some sun today, because rain is predicted for tomorrow. It was just starting to get dried up in the yard, but we all know April showers bring May flowers. I hope you get to do something you like today. A hug for you.........




You will love this blogging - there's just something about it that is so much fun and you get to be in touch with such nice people. I have enjoyed reading about your life on your ranch - different than anything I have experienced but sounds just wonderful. Welcome to blogging and I plan to keep tabs on you, Janet. ;-) Carol
ReplyDeleteOh Janet, your block does POP and is so nice.
ReplyDeleteMiss Puss is adorble. I love the pics you shared of her, especially peaking out from your plant. Too darling.
And, I truly enjoy your cow/calving life stories. You keep my interest peeked. Thank you so much for sharing so much of yourself.
Blessings.
Those cats that suddenly appear on the farm turn into the greatest pets. I think they appreciate being loved and given a home. Our "Miss Kitty" arrived here 16 years ago. She was a barn cat until 2 winters ago when she decided she was a house cat.
ReplyDeleteP.S--I am going to check out the Jelly Roll quilting!
God Bless,
Linda
I got my cat 16 years ago . Because the people that had her feed the rest of her brothers and sisters to the dog. So she has a great home with us. Your blocks look lovely...
ReplyDeleteXX Razzy..
I enjoyed reading your blog too :-) You will be photographing everything to blog soon it gets addictive :-D Thank you for joining my giveaway Sorry you didn't win this time, Please come and join when I have my next one.
ReplyDeleteFun blocks!
ReplyDeleteHey Janet, Thanks for visiting my blog. I am facinated by ranches and admire all the work you have to do on one. Good luck on your blog and I'll be following you.
ReplyDeleteHi Janet, Love your jelly roll your using on the jelly roll quilt.
ReplyDeleteAnd you have a long horn, being from Texas my favorite cow to look at.
Your pinwheels on your Flicker makes me want to join in over at Rachels. Will see, too many irons in the fire.
Just discovered your blog since I noticed I had a new follower. I'll be following your blog too, through Google Reader. I am enjoying yours so much, besides the lovely blocks and quilt, your 'life' pictures are fascinating. I have cows behind my back fence, and we enjoy watching them so much. I'm in central Florida, and my life is different than yours, that's one of the great things about blogging, it's better than a novel to get to share in other people's lifestyles. Thank you for visiting.
ReplyDelete