I sewed 2 pinwheel blocks yesterday and got the purple/green ones cut out today.
I thought you might like to see how we are moving cattle now days. We had more snow this winter than we have had for 14 years. Our regular calving pasture is still too wet and muddy for the expectant mothers, so we continue to keep them in the fall/winter pasture. When a cow has a baby, it gets a little ride to its new home in the "calf cage". DH loads them up and ear tags them (same number as mom). The calf cage also provides protection for DH from loving moms, who don't love DH. A good mom will follow the calf anywhere we take him. By using the cage the little guys, don't get tired out being moved. So off we go to the nursery.
DH drives slowly so mom can see and smell the baby. Rocco and I follow behind in the Yukon--just in case mom decides to take off. Most older cows follow well. It is mostly 1st calf heifers who have no idea what they are suppose to do that won't follow. Sometimes in that case, we chase mom to the pen and bring the baby to her.
The new pair are in a dry and safe place. The little shelter is for the calves, if it rains. Hopefully, the calving pasture will be dried out next week and we can move all the expectant cows there. It will be closer to home and the barns.
Tomorrow is the first Friday of the month. Kaaren--The Painted Quilt blog does a first Friday Freebie. She is so nice to share her talent every month with a new stitchery design. I look forward to it. I made her Easter sampler last month and framed it. If I make it again, I will put a cross instead of the carrot. I wish I had thought of that sooner. I put her button on my blog to share with you, if you didn't know about her yet. I like to embroider in the evening while DH takes control of the remote. I hope you will visit Kaaren's blog if you haven't before. A hug for you..............



I spent time in my youth summers in South Dakota on my Uncles property close to the badlands. The photos made me think about that property and the good smells there. I think your blog is great!
ReplyDeleteLove your pinweel blocks. What a great way to move your cow around.
ReplyDeleteXX Razzy
What great pics and a written understanding of what's happening to each baby.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving every post you share, Janet.
Thank you. Happy Easter.
Hello Janet. Love the Easter Sampler and I agree with you about the cross. In todays paper there is a photo of a 5 legged calf. No joke. Happy days.
ReplyDeleteBev.xoxo
I enjoy a lot reading about your life and works. You are doing very well with your blog!
ReplyDeleteHave a joyful Easter day with your family.
Hugs.
Eli
I just found your blog from the comments section at The Painted Quilt. What an interesting post. I am doing the Jelly Roll Sampler also and am intrigued with the Pinwheel Blocks and think I may start that group also...I will be behind, but I love the look of them.
ReplyDeleteHow you move the calves is interesting. I think here the farms are so small that the farmer just 'shoos' mom and babe where he wants them!
ReplyDeleteYou'd have appreciated the drama here this morning when the neighbour's horse decided to go walkabout and led the Hub a merry dance round the lanes and hill. We were afraid of her getting loose on the main road but he did catch her, bring her back here, shut her in our garden and then phone the farmer to say where she was! The farmer gave her a right telling off!
Thank you for joining me at my place! I look forward to getting to know you!
that is very interesting to read about how the calves are moved, keeps me up to date on farming, it must be wonderfull to live on a farm and be so close to nature, happy easter
ReplyDeleteI love your pinwheel blocks...and the fabric...Khris
ReplyDelete