Friday, April 9, 2010

Rocco and his family


Who could resist this little guy in a pet shop?  All ears and sad eyes.  Not DD #1.  This is our grand dog, Rocco, when he was just a little guy.   He is an "applehead" chihauhau.   He is 2 1/2 years old now and lives with us while DD goes to nursing school and works fulll-time.  I've never been too keen on dogs in the house, but I was soon won over.  Miss Puss isn't real thrilled with him, but is learning to tolerate his presence.  

Rocco is a sweet natured dog and loves to cuddle.  He really needed to live with someone who could just hold him all the time.  After a year of living with us, he has converted to a ranch dog.  He loves to ride in the pick-up, explore all the smells available and roll in stuff I'd rather he didn't.  

Last fall one of the barn cats had a batch of kittens.  Unfortunately, this mom was a victim of a semi-truck hauling our corn.  Rocco sniffed out the orphans and we moved them to the house.  He and I took over the raising of 5 tiny kittens.

Rocco didn't think they should be out walking around yet.  He was very protective of them.




We found good indoor homes for 4 of them when they were 8 weeks old.    It was crazy with 5 kittens in the house.    Rocco loved every minute of it.  We kept the smallest one and his favorite.  Her name is Peanut.


It is so funny to watch them play together.  One minute you will see a dog chasing a cat and the next pass through will be the cat chasing the dog.   Pets sure bring alot of love and laughter to our lives.  I don't know what I would have done without Rocco's help raising these five babies.

I made it to the shower meeting this morning.  I stopped at the Quilter's Corner for some fusible batting.  I want to make a purse.  I've made tote bags before, but never a real purse.  I resisted the temptation to buy anything else---it was tough.   I'm off to do some tagging and moving of calves.  Hugs to you.............

5 comments:

  1. Rocco is adorable! Isn't nature wonderful - with Rocco taking over the role of parent. The little ginger kitten you kept looks cheeky and how cute is that photo of them in the basket together! I know what you mean about the entertainment factor - Buddy plays with our cat Milo all the time and usually he is the one being chased. The cat even grooms him and he lays really still because if he moves, he knows Milo's claws will come out to hold him still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how animals will take over and care for the young of another animal. We used to have some Tom cats in the barn that "helped" raise little kittens. I'm going to search our your pinwheel pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so sweet! I think very often that animals are better than men. Rocco is a great dog and the little Peanut simply adorable. Have a good Sunday. Hugs. Eli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm catching up on blogs since I haven't been able to with guests staying with us.

    Rocco is such a CUTIE !!!! I watch our DD's 3.5 Lb. little one often - I'm attached to her BIG time. Got to love these little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photo's of the animals all living in harmony. You were good to only get what you want in the shop. Good luck witht the sewing. Happy Monday.
    Bev.xoxox

    ReplyDelete