Sunday, April 18, 2010

Beauty on the Prairie

It was such a beautiful day yesterday.  I didn't take a nap.  I didn't sew.  I decided what I needed to refresh myself was a walk.  Rocco and I headed west of our house on the prairie road.   It was a bright sun--blue sky afternoon.   It is so nice to see the grass finally starting to grow.  When I walk on the prairie I often think of the settlers who walked their way here with all their possessions in their wagons.  Rocco loves to run ahead smelling all the trails of the wild residents who live here too.  He flushes out pheasants and rabbits.

Sometimes he waits for me to catch up with him.




One of the first signs of spring on the prairie in South Dakota is the state flower--the pasque.  We also call them May flowers.  They grow wild all over the state, especially in the tall grass prairie areas.

Aren't they beautiful?  They are a lovely lilac color with bright yellow centers.  This area is loaded with them peeking out.  So nice to see their perky faces bring hope to the brown land.  When we were kids we loved to pick bouquets of them for my mom.  They don't make a good inside flower arrangement.  They are loaded with tiny little bugs!

This acreage is not fenced.  We don't pasture or farm it.  We let the grass grow and then in the late summer it is mowed and baled for hay.  We feed this hay to our cows through the winter. So much natural prairie is being broken up for farming in our area.   It is sad to see some of the wonderful native grasses being destroyed.  


The trees are finally starting to bud too.  It has been unseasonably warm this week.  I definitely have Spring Fever.  I'm so glad I decided to walk instead of nap.  I shared some prayer time with my Best Friend and appreciated all my blessings.  Have a great day!  Hugs to all...........................

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your walk with me! The flowers are beautiful. God's extra blessing for a beautiful spring day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful walk. Spring is a wonderful time of year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love seeing your pictures. Where I live we have many, many trees so it's hard to see for any kind of distance so I just love seeing the wide open spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog. I will enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Janet, thank you for taking us along on your walk. Love that little flower even though it may have some bugs. Thats nature for you. Have a great day.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well worth the walk!! It looks lovely and the May flowers are so pretty (shame about the bugs) they must make you smile.
    Enjoy,
    Abbe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the photos Janet. Your prairie flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures Janet! These immense spaces speak me of freedom and peace. It is a landscape so different from mine that is impossible not to be admired. Have a good week. See you at the next post. Eli

    ReplyDelete