New books!!! I love looking at quilting books AND I have the books to prove it. I'm glad to know there are other quilters with the same addictions. lol It's really hard to take pictures of shiny covers of "new quilting books". I apologize for the poor photos.
Scrap Basket Surprises by Kim Brackett has patterns for 18 quilts from 2 1/2" inch strips. Lots of really neat patterns. I wish I had time to take some poor pictures of the inside of the books for you. Crazy reason: I ordered the book because Kim is from Gulf Breeze FL and is a member of the Pensacola Quilters Guild. DD2 lives in Pensacola FL. Now is that not a reason to order a great book.
I have always liked 2 1/2 " inch strips. I think that's why I was and am an Eleanor Burns fan. When they first came out with Jelly Rolls, I just couldn't understand why anyone would buy them. Now I've discovered why someone would buy them AND have too many of them. The same with layer cakes and charm squares. I have figured out how to feed my fabric addictions without taking up as much space in my small bedroom/sewing room. By buying a jelly roll, layer cake or pack of charms, I can have the whole line of fabric and not have to decide which 2-3 yards to buy of the ones I like. The storage is much easier too. SO now I need more new books to help me figure out how to use the pre-cuts. I am such a mess. lol I bought A Baker's Dozen because it has 13 quilts from jelly rolls, layer cakes and more. Love all the patterns and uses of precuts. There are also 13 designers. This book is from the staff at That Patchwork Place.
I also ordered Gathered from the Garden by Cindy Lammon. I liked the mix of patchwork and applique in this book. I like quilts with both techniques mixed. I love appliqued borders framing quilts. It shows alot of different variations of quilts with the different blocks of the main quilt on the cover.
GIVE AWAY: I wanted to do a give away in honor of May Day. Time has really flown by and Saturday is May 1st already. I am giving away a copy of A Baker's Dozen for a May Day basket. When we were children we took treats to school in little baskets made of cupcake papers and pipe cleaners for our friends. I went to a one room country school with all 8 grades in one room with one teacher. Actually for May Day you were suppose to make treat baskets and put them on your friend's front stoop, ring the door bell and run, so they wouldn't know who left the surprise.
Just leave a comment and I will choose someone to send A Baker's Dozen to. I will choose on Monday, May 3rd, so it will give more people time to comment.
I want to thank all of my followers and commenters for this last month. I've enjoyed blogging and making new friends online. It has also been something to look forward to while we are busy with the calving season. In about 2 weeks we will be about 90% done and the push will let up. Then it will be time to "garden". Yeah!
The weather report is for rain all week-end, so I'm not sure when I'll be posting again. The baby calf who was so cold the other morning is doing great. I helped him figure out how to get milk from his mom yesterday morning. He took to it like a natural after a half hour of Nursing 101. I'm still working with another baby, who hasn't figured it out yet.
Tell your friends about the give away! Talk to you later. Hugs to all.............


These looks all greats books.
ReplyDeleteI am like you... I am drawn to patterns, (new or traditional) that have applique incorporated... for me not just the outer borders, but anywhere!!!
ReplyDeleteI'd be happy to win the book.... but just in case I don't- Have a Great May Day anyway!!!
Beth-Near Chicago
I thought i mite go in for a chance to win your pattern as May is my birthday month. So happy May day to you.
ReplyDeleteI have Scrap Baskets, too. You can see my first project from it at weddingdressblue.wordpress.com
ReplyDeleteI don't often purchase patterns, but a giveaway would be great!
How generous! Thanks for the chance!
ReplyDeleteWith the internet, my book buying has come to an almost permanent halt, but I so miss having a hard copy to hold and browse through while on the porch swing or when I have a quiet moment. Last week I bought THREE books to have on the coffee table for such a time as that....would love to have the above books for that same reason!
ReplyDeletefreeindeed at myfairpoint dot net
What a great idea to collect Jelly Rolls, charm Packs and Layered Cakes. That is why you must have those beautiful books to make them up.
ReplyDeletePleased the little calf is doing well and I am sure the other will soon learn to fed with such a good foster Mum.
How generous of you to have a giveawy Janet.
Ah, May Day, I remember what is becoming a lost tradition. Yes, make a basket, leave it at the front door, ring the bell AND THEN RUN !!! (Only thing now is I CANNOT run..LOL)
ReplyDeleteThank you for bringing a back a memory, Janet.
I used to love May Day when I was a kid. People just don't seem to do anything with May Day anymore. I would love to own this book!
ReplyDeleteI haven't bought quilt books in a long time. Would be great to win one.
ReplyDeleteWell, now Janet ... you are so generous, sweetie! I do not have this book and I love quilt patterns too much not to comment. Best of luck to everyone ... :-) Pat
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you will have with all your new books. It is so much fun figuring out which one to try first. Hopefully things will settle down soon so you can have time to sew again.
ReplyDeleteI remember making May baskets at school when I was a kid too...such fun! Does anyone even do that anymore? Quilting books are my weakness, so I would love to find one in my May basket!
ReplyDeleteI always loved May day as a kid. Still do. But of course, May day (aka Lei Day) is my Wedding Anniversary. I also love your May Day theme giveaway and prize.
ReplyDeleteSewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com
Please enter me in your lovely giveaway.
ReplyDeleteI was so surprised when you mention the gulf coast area, as that is where I now live. We live in Milton, just over the bridge from Pensacola, and Gulf Breeze what a small world we live in.
May's my birthday month!!!!, I'd love to have a chance to win the book, thank you for the chance, I'm your new follower, yay for you!
ReplyDeleteI have Scrap BAsket Surprises and I love it! I'd love to win A Baker's Dozen! What a great prize - thanks for the chance!
ReplyDeleteQué Gran Premio y Gran Día "Qué párr El Regalo. Aqui celebramos "El Día del Trabajo, y es Un Día Mitad Mitad fiesta del Recordatorio Porque sí elije Este párrafo agasajar al Trabajador.
ReplyDeleteGracias Por Compartir
Hi Janet! SewCalGal sent me over to your giveaway when I go here I saw your picture and
ReplyDeleteyour one of my followers! My blog is new and I'm trying to catch up so please forgive me for being a dolt. I've signed up to follow you and repay your kindness and I look forward to spending time reading your blog. We don't do May Day in Canada but please count me in for your giveaway of this great book. Thanks!
http://sideroadstitcher.blogspot.com/
Happy May Day to you. Thanks for the chance to win a new quilting book. I have become a new follower so I look forward to getting to know you.
ReplyDeleteWell...sounds like I need to wish you a Happy May Day...and glad to have found your blog. I'm now a follower so I can keep an eye on things over here. Hee!!
ReplyDeleteI would love to win! Happy May Day!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely idea - a book for a May Day Basket. We used to leave small baskets f cookies or candies on our neighbor's back porch when I was small. I love strip quilting, too, and I have a growing collection of charm squares. I could certainly use a beautiful book full of inspiration!
ReplyDeleteSusan in sunny NC
sgalasso@triad.rr.com
Pre-cuts - what a wonderful idea! Can never have too many of them! LOL! And quilt books that use them - another wonderful idea! Thanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDeleteLove Jelly rolls. Thanks for the gibeaway!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that I saw SewCalGal's link to your blog. It's great! I will definitely be back. What a giveaway! I have this book on my wish list to I'd love to win.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I grew up in North Dakota and we had the same May Day traditions as you described.
thanks for a chance...quilting books are tops in my opinion. welcome to blog land!
ReplyDeleteOhh you can never haave enough patterns for 2.5 inch strips. thanks for the giveaway.
ReplyDeleteI love quilting books and patterns. I am always inspired when I look at them. Pre-cuts have changed quilting just like the rotary cutter did. Thanks so much for such a great giveaway.
ReplyDeleteHi Janet, I just found your blog. I love it. I have read all the way back to the beginning. It has always been my dream to take a vacation to South Dakota. I don't really know why, but I just love reading about your state. I am in Missouri. My dh says, some day we will visit SD. I love all your pictures especially of Rocco and your 2 kitties. Happy May Day to you. Wonderful to 'meet' you. Winona
ReplyDeleteLove Eleanor and strips too! Please enter me!
ReplyDeleteHappy May Day! I haven't made a May basket since I was a kid. Thank you for having such a great give away! Sharonj.
ReplyDeleteHappy May Day! I love books and love all your pictures of cows. Thanks for the chance to win.
ReplyDeleteI am a new follower. I just found you through SewCalGal. I would love to win. Thanks for the chance.
ReplyDeleteHappy nearly May Day!!! Lovely selection of books - and so generous of you to share!
ReplyDeleteI just finished making a fabric May Basket for my Mom and then I find this great May Day give away! I would love to win this book.
ReplyDeleteGreat purchases and totally agree with the jelly roll/charm pack comments.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that the calf is feeding off his mum now too.
What a nice giveaway!
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed looking at your quilt along blocks on Flicker! Those quilt alongs are really fun!
Please add my name to your contest and OH MY GOODNESS, but I was reading some of your posts about the farm and the rain and the calves, etc, etc.... Absolutely FASCINATING!!!
ReplyDeleteWhere 'bouts are you located? I live in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. *grin*
Rosa Robichaud
robich@rogers.com
It looks like a great book and some of my blogging friends think so too as I recognize many of the commenters. There are so many wonderful bloggers out there doing wonderful projects and sharing their expertise.
ReplyDeleteI do hope you will drop by and visit my blog too. I plan to post some time this weekend.
Thanks for hosting such a nice giveaway.
Warmest regards from a Western Canadian quilter,
Anna
http://quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com/
welcome to the world of blogging, I too am fairly new starting last summertime.
ReplyDeleteI would love the chance to win! I havn't made a basket quilt yet but have thought about doing it sometime. Thanks for the chance
Happy May Day!!That book looks great :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the chance to enter....
I will be posting a give away on my blog too, probably tomorrow !!
SheilaC
Happy May Day. I can remember my kids taking May Baskets around. They had so much fun doing it. Actually I can remember when I used to do it as a kid......a long long time ago!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE quilt books! (AND fabric, AND notions, AND chocolate.) (Chocolate is a notion, right?) Please enter me and thanks for the giveaway.
ReplyDeletegalew417@comcast.net
Happy to have discovered your blog! I love a peek into different ways of living. I live in a suburb of Atlanta. I love reading your posts about life on the farm.I too love quilting books. A Baker's Dozen is one I'd love to read and study. Take care!
ReplyDeleteGreat giveaway! Please count me in!
ReplyDeleteHello Janet, what a lovely range of books,sounds like heaven to me. You lucky thing having rain. Send some this way please. Happy days.
ReplyDeleteBev.xoxo
I enjoyed reading through your posts! The calves(?) are so cute and I really wished I lived close enough to pop over for a nice bun and jam. Looks like you're enjoying Spring in South Dakota - our farmers are just nicely getting started. Count me in for the book giveaway. - Marlene
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog and have been enjoying reading the posts. I live in Ireland now, but I am originally from Philly. I have been to South Dakota, and loved it.
ReplyDeleteMicki
Oh I love South Dakota! I've only been there once but am itching to visit again. So glad I found your blog so I can enjoy reading more about it. I also collect the new jelly rolls, charm packs, layer cakes. That is why I must have every book of patterns to use them. Moderation is a word I do not know.
ReplyDelete