I thought you might be wondering what took up all our spare time in June. This is the boat my DH bought last summer. It really needed alot of work, but we used it a few times and put it away for the winter. DH was determined to get it renovated before this summer, but there hasn't been much spare time with calving season and planting. The upholstery on the seats was cracked and showing foam rubber. The carpet on the floor was worn and covering a worn and rotting deck.
The seats on the front were both in bad shape and not safe for use.
It didn't take long for DH to tear things apart and find that the damage was much worse than he initially thought. When you buy a 20 year old boat and don't know how it was stored you might get a surprise. Many times things are worse than they look on the surface.
A new floor and support structure were badly needed. Michelle came home 2 days and assisted in the hardest part of crawling around getting the foundation work done.
The steering column was suspended from a cable, so no wiring needed to be redone. As you can see this mess has taken over the deck for the duration. The deck is the right height to save a lot of climbing up and down. I'm still encouraging DH to have a clean up day. I've picked up and put away everything I can.
We had some of the seats reupholstered and have ordered a couple new ones. The new floor is complete and sound. We painted it with a rubberized, textured coating that will keep the floor dry and protect the wood. We replaced the sides and doors with new wood and coatings.
DH decided not to replace the seats in the front of the boat at this time--maybe later.
We are so glad to have this project almost completed. The newly ordered seats won't be here until August 5th. We are hoping to enjoy a test drive this week-end. Actually I'm so sick of this boat I don't care if I ride on it. lol And I'm hoping the deck mess gets cleaned up before the summer is over.
My external hard drive was delivered today. Thanks so much to everyone that gave me this advice. I'm looking forward to taking many more pictures to share with you all. I'm also looking forward to getting back to sewing--one of these days.!









The boat certainly looks better, even without the seats! I'm sure that when your deck is clean and you have time to forget the hard work, you will really enjoy the boat!
ReplyDeleteThat looks as though it was a biiiig project, but I'm sure you'll think it was worth it in the end.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a project! I'm glad the boat repair work is done. It must be nice to go out on the water and just relax...I know I love to do that here. Do you have a lot of bugs out there? That's the only drawback to being outdoors, sometimes. lol
ReplyDeleteCarol (NJ)
Looks like it was an intense project, but it sure is looking lots better now. Once it is done, it will be wonderful to be out on the water away from all the work at home. Nola
ReplyDelete