Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Days


 Peanut has been the only one working on the quilt this week.  What is it about fabric that seems to draw cats?  Peanut spends the hot days inside sleeping and then prowls the cool nights.  



The wild sweet clover is tall and thick this year.  The Rhino can hardly travel through it.  The sweet clover comes in two colors white and yellow.  I love the sweet smell.  We cut this and bale it for the cattle.


Actually the sweet clover is a weed.  Some people like it and some people don't.  It has a tendency to take over.  The bees love it.  Beekeepers ask landowners permission to set their hives close by.  They pay the owners in honey.  You have to be careful feeding it to cattle, because it can cause sickness if not cured and baled correctly. 


Purple prairie clover is a natural prairie grass.  It is not an aggressive grass.  It is high in protein.   Bees love it too.  It isn't as common to find it.  The Indians brewed tea from the leaves and also applied soaked leaves to wounds for healing.  It is sometimes called the thimble weed.


We took Baby to the south pasture close to home with the last of the cow/calf pairs.  These cows are old and will be sold this fall.  We have a feeder with pellets for the calves, so they get extra feeding.  The old cows don't have as much milk.  It was fun to see Baby run and jump with the other calves.  She seemed to settle in with everyone.  Guess who came home that night?  I had just mixed up the bottle of milk replacer and was headed out to see if she would come to my call.  Surprise, surprise--there was Baby.   She came home for supper.  lol  We have her back by the barn again and she can come and go if she wants.  She seems happy to be home. 

I'm off to town for parts, twine and groceries.

6 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon, Janet ... I always love looking at the photos of your ranch and reading the tidbits about the flora and the fauna. I learn a lot, too.
    Sounds like Baby is the right name for that little critter. Peanut looks very comfy. My cats cannot stay off the fabric and blocks and quilts, either. Mina is stretched out on my table top cutting mat with her head on the small stack of fabric in one corner. Silly cat. At least she is not on my sewing machine on top of the seam I am going to sew ... ;) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby is a smart calf. She knows where home it. (grin) Peanut looks very comfy all stretched out. Our ladies like to sleep all day in the a/c and prowl in the early morning, late evening hours. Don't they have a rough life? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, thanks for sharing stories of the farm with us city-dwellers! lol Baby wants to be close to you, sounds like.

    Lol at your kitties too.

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have to think that Peanut has the right idea...it's just too stinkin' hot during the day to do much of anything! And I love all the photos of the farm. Baby is a smart little one, and I think she thinks you're her mamma! :o) That's just so sweet!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your pictures of the farm. Makes me a little homesick, but then I remember my allergies! We didn't have such pretty grasses. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peanut is one smart cat. Have a great weekend Janet.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete