I've been staying cool in the house in the afternoons. I enjoyed blind stitching around all the petals as I listened to my audio book. I used the thread I ordered from Connecting Threads. It sews and looks very nice.
This afternoon I layed out the blocks. I kept moving them around and around until I finally decided to just sew them together. It's been so much fun to be making a quilt again. I can tell the difference in my mood when I sew. You would think DH would want me to sew all the time. lol
DH has been "making hay while the sunshines". The sun has definitely been shining. It has been hot, hot, hot. Tomorrow is suppose to be better. It really cooled off tonight--must have been at least 75. It's lovely to have an air-conditioned cab on your tractor, but break downs are not so much fun. I nearly melted this morning helping DH fix. I hate "fixing", especially with such a cheerful fixer. I really needed to sew this afternoon. lol
This is what we call a hay binder. DH uses it to cut the alfalfa and the tall grass down. It puts it into windrows. He usually lets the hay lay for 3 days to "cure" and then bales it into large bales. The grass is extra tall this year because of all the rain we've had. The high humidity has made it harder to get everything to work like it usually does. The grass is tall and thick and wetter than ever.
The alfalfa is in full bloom. It is very pretty and smells sweet. Cows love alfalfa bales in the winter. We have two fields of alfalfa. DH has cut and baled them once. If we get some rain, it will grow up again and we can cut and bale a "second cutting".
The alfalfa has spread to the road ditches too. DH will cut and bale there too.
The canary grass is shoulder high this year. It grows wild with other native prairie grasses. It's extra tall this year, so it's been a challenge to work with. DH will spend tomorrow baling. I have an appointment for a hair cut. I need to stock up on groceries too. We are going to be chopping the oats for silage next week. I'll be taking lunches to the field for the crew. The wheat is starting to ripen, so combining will be next. It will be a busy time ahead.






Janet, I love your quilt. It is so cheerful looking. I love the smell of fresh alfalfa. We used to buy alfalfa for our milk goats. They loved it. Glad you were able to get some sewing time in.
ReplyDeleteI know when you are used to farming or working outside, you kind of get used to the heat, but this hot spell is really something. I love your quilt and the bright, cheery fabrics you've used.
ReplyDeleteThat is quite the heat spell that you are having down south. It is good you are getting a chance to stay cool.
ReplyDeleteI remember taking lunch to the fields with my grandmother- many summers we spent doing that very job.
One time I dropped the stack of bales in the wrong spot when I was out helping my grandfather- he was not very pleased. It is one of the few times I remember him scolding me. Now you would probably just make the great large round bales that you need a tractor to move around, but at that time he made square bales that you would later load on the truck.
Regards,
Anna
Anna
No wonder working on this quilt makes you feel happy. It has such a lovely bright blocks.
ReplyDeleteThe alfalfa flowers look pretty. Hope you do get a second baleing for the winter.
Your quilt top turned out so pretty. I hope you get some more sewing time in - we all need to be in a good mood!
ReplyDeleteLOL at your comment that you would think dh would want you to sew more often cause it changes your disposition to more pleasant! I can see why you become happier, since you chose such bright cheerful colors and pattern.
ReplyDeleteFarming sure is a tough job! Working in all kinds of weather too. You have to love what you do when you choose to do it!
Thanks for the explanations of the various processes and equipment and what it's used for.
It's been warm here at the Jersey shore and the past 2 days have been very foggy. We're going up to northern NJ today and it's been almost unbearable up there. My stepdaughter is coming over early to turn on our A/C for us.
Enjoy your quilting, Janet!!!
Carol (NJ)
Your quilt is going to be beautiful!! I love all of the bright colors and the design. I stitch with Connecting Threads thread and love it. I hope you get some sort of cool down in the weather soon. And hopefully you will get more time to sew, too.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to be hot every where this summer, I've tried not to complain because of the snowy winter but it's hard not to. Yiu quilt is so bright and cheery.
ReplyDeleteWhat a pretty, pretty quilt! I am so glad you are getting some down time to do some quilting -it is so good for the soul! You and your dh work so very hard - farming is probably one of the hardest jobs around and I know you are the number one assistant! The heat is not good - and combined with humidity - it should be outlawed! Autumn will come, though - my favorite time of the year. Here's hoping you can find lots of quilting time!
ReplyDeleteSuch a colorful quilt and I really like it!! Stay cool...
ReplyDeleteYour quilt top looks great! Alfalfa is so pretty when it blooms. Brian helped a friend bale hay today and it was 114 out! That's way too hot for Ohio, but the hay loves it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful summery quilt. And I sure know what you mean about feeling better after some sewing/quilting time. Stay cool.
ReplyDeleteAs soon as I saw your photo of the alfalfa, I could smell it. It's a wonderful memory from my childhood, as I haven't had my face close to those purple blossoms for years.
ReplyDeleteA lot of rain = heavy bales. Another childhood/early teen memory.
Such a pretty quilt!
That's a very fun quilt - nice and cheery. :) The alfalfa looks pretty!
ReplyDeletelove your quilt!
ReplyDeletewe have the same story here with the hay except we just cut ours for the second time. We had 30 hundreds of rain last night and humid today. Like you I try to stay inside I think I will sew this afternoon too.