Monday, August 1, 2011

Fun Week End--for me


I attended a wedding in Pierre this week-end.  Michelle was a bridesmaid for a very special friend of hers.  It was 105 degrees on the bank sign as we went into the church for the 5:00 pm ceremony.  The church was lovely and cool.  The humidity was very high--hard on make-up and hair dos.  The heat didn't put a damper on the wedding fun tho.



Michelle and I especially enjoyed seeing some of her classmates from the high school class of '99.  Rocco enjoyed the cool hotel room. 



DH stayed home to work.  They are silaging the oats for winter feed.  The wheat in this picture is quickly ripening in the heat and combining will be next very soon.  All the way to Pierre I saw combines in the field harvesting.  It was equally hot on Sunday, so Rocco and I headed home right away.  It was about 8:00 pm when it finally cooled off to 80's and I mowed the grass.  It has been a very hot July and the AC has run day and night.  The humidity has been much higher than we are used to.  It has been raining in July--unusual for South Dakota. 


It rained last week a couple times.  I took this picture one evening when we didn't get any rain, but others did with high winds.   Thankfully we have missed any damaging storms.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more violent storms or tornadoes with all the heat. 

DH took his lunch today, so I hope to get back to sewing.   It is suppose to be over 100 again today, so Rocco and I will be keeping cool inside.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely! ... especially the one of you and your daughter. Best wishes to the newlyweds. Amazing sky photo! Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like your weekend was lovely. You guys must be getting all of our heat. It's been an unusually cool, cloudy summer here(not that I'm complaining).
    My dad used to silage corn, interesting that you can do that with oats too. Love your cloud picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been over 100 most of the summer here in South Texas, but we EXPECT it to be hot. I really feel for those of you who are not used to it! The humidity makes it especially brutal. (It is pretty dry here, which makes a lot of difference.)Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to a wedding this weekend thank heavens for air conditioning!!! Here in eastern SD has been so hot and humid too. We did get 2& 1/2 inches of rain last week tho. Hopefully will start cooling off tomorrow. Hang in there is all we can do...and stay in the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun time! It's been so darn hot here too. All the corn fields around us have shriveled up and died. Funny though that the tabacco has made it.
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Janet, it's unbelievable how hot it's been out by you! I'm glad no severe storms have hit you too!

    Our heat wave ended and now it's temps mostly in the 80's here at the Jersey shore. Too bad you can't come for a visit!

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photo of the sky is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely picture of you and your daughter. Looks like you both had a great time. The picture of the sky looks amazing! It is so interesting reading about farm life. I think many of us are so removed from it and don't realize how much hard work and time is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I clicked on your post and saw the lovely photo of Michelle and you I was again amazed how much you look like my sister.
    Pleased you had a lovely outing.Gee I can't beleive that you are allowed to have your dog at the hotel. That's great.We can't here.
    We have just driven home through some farms and they have beautiful huge paddocks of green wheat and golden canola crops.So different to your crops that are nearly ready to be harvested. I think both look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle is a beautiful woman. She is between Todd and Chad in age. I am glad the church had AC.

    We have had the high temps and high humidity also. The rains and storms seem to pop up out of no where. Monday night the wind took down one of our apple trees that is loaded with apples. It has made haying very difficult.

    ReplyDelete