Monday, August 22, 2011

Garden or Jungle


It's hard to believe that it is August and it is still this green.  Usually by this time things are starting to dry out and burn up with the summer heat and no rain.  This has been a "different" year as it rained in July.  Rain water is like a magic ingredient.  Everything has grown so much!  I got behind in "nipping" back the tomato plants and they are huge.  One night a high wind tipped them all over (cage and all). There are not a lot of tomatoes on them either.  I have heard of other people having that result this year too.


On Sunday I posted a blossom from the one volunteer pumpkin plant that came up this year.  I had lots of pumpkins last year.  I still have frozen pumpkin in the freezer so I didn't plant any this year.  One plant came up and I left it to grow.  It has gone crazy--taking over the whole garden with huge leaves and lots of blossoms.   I'm not sure if we will have many pumpkins grow to maturity before it freezes, but I'm giving it free reign to do it's best.



I only planted two pepper plants this year.  They are the biggest plants I've ever had, but I'm still waiting for the peppers to grow.  Other years I've had small plants loaded with lots of large peppers.  It is just a different year.



I planted four hills of cucumbers, because we had plenty of relish and pickles left.  They have really produced vines.  The cucumbers are coming now tho and I will need to share with the neighbors.   I'm glad now that I really didn't plant a lot of garden.  I just haven't had time to tend it or harvest it.  Cucumbers that taste like a cucumber are such a treat! 




Thank you to all of you who have expressed your concern and prayers for Rocco.  It has helped me a lot too.  I think I just needed to share my burden with all of you.   I was pleased to see Rocco laying on his back sleeping.   He hasn't slept like this since he started having symptoms.  I think this is a sign that he is feeling less dizzy.  He is walking some better, but time hopefully will be the needed healer.  Michelle was home for a couple days and he enjoyed that.   He spends a lot of time sleeping.  He's eating and drinking regularly, so that is probably a good sign.  

No sewing done yet.  I spent some time organizing yesterday afternoon--maybe that will help get me motivated.  lol

9 comments:

  1. I'm so envious of your garden. 5 jalapeno plants are all that remain of mine. LOVE the photo of Rocco! Thank you for the update! I'm glad to hear that he's on the mend. Continued prayers for complete healing. Give him a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Rocco carries on improving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, I'm amazed at your greenery! This surely has been a different year for you. Glad to see and hear Rocco is improving. Hope you can get some sewing in too.

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everything is growing wild everywhere as our weeds have never been so big. LOL

    Rocco is such a gorgeous guy. Pleased he is improving. Nice to have Michelle home too.

    Hope you can get back into your sewing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been in a drought so long, I've forgotten what green grass looks like! When you walk across our grass (except where the sprinkler system goes) it crunches - sounds like you're walking on corn flakes! My back yard is brown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet,
    Our gardens are slow here- too much moisture and not enough sun. My father's and a friends cucumbers are blooming but not sure if they will produce anything before we get frost.
    Hope Rocco continues to improve.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rocco looks like he is quite comfortable. As far as being dizzy, after my bout with it this past weekend, I can tell you that it takes a lot out of you. And it seems quite slow is regaining strength and confidence. Glad he is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet, just wanted to say thank you....
    I miss them all.... She is a big miss, just like Amie.
    Hey, look at that young Rocco :-) Ah, give him one big hug from me.
    I always love to visit here :-) Check on your bear :-) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see that your Rocco is contented! And boy your vegs really are on a world takeover bid! worse than mine even!!

    ReplyDelete