Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vestibular Syndrome


Rocco has been diagnosed with Vestibular Syndrome, maybe.  Remember that fun week-end I had?  When we came home that is when it all started.  At first we thought it was just his eye sight from his previous eye injuries. He had gone totally blind.   So on Tuesday of last week I took him to Aberdeen to Dr. Cooper for an exam.  Dr. Cooper confirmed that he had no pupil reaction in either eye.  He couldn't explain why suddenly the vision had failed.  I returned home with a heavy heart, but hopeful that Rocco would adjust to being blind eventually. 

 On Wednesday, he began tilting his head, circling and definitely showing signs of weakness on his right side.  He was sick to his stomach too.  Instead of the 90 mile trip to Aberdeen we went to Miller to see our regular vet.  I had done a lot of reading on the Internet.  Could he have an ear infection or a stroke?   Had he been exposed to poison some how or injured his head or back?   I had also read about Vestibular, but it is more common in older dogs and Rocco only turned 4 in July.   Dr. Cain examined him and gave him a steroid shot for possible inflammation.  "Let's see if he improves".  Poor Rocco, so dizzy he can hardly go to the bathroom.  He was very lethargic.  His eye sight seems to have returned to what it was before these symptoms started.  Dr. Cain said there was light reaction in his left eye.

Yesterday day we returned to Dr. Cain.  Rocco isn't circling as much and doesn't have quite as severe a head tilt.  Dr. Cain thinks it is Vestibular Syndrome.  He did x-rays and blood work.  There doesn't seem to be any obvious irregularities in the x-rays.  His blood work and temperature were normal.  So we are just waiting for Rocco to improve.  Today he is very lethargic and has vomited a couple times.  He is drinking water, but not eating today.  He's very unsteady on his feet.  I carry him outside for potty breaks.

He seems to be most comfortable being held.  I'm not getting much done, but it makes me feel better to hold him too.

Have any of you had any experience with this syndrome?  I'd really be interested to hear if your dog had this and how long it took to get over.   It's been about 9 days of varying symptoms for Rocco.  
Please say a little prayer for our Rocco.

17 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about this syndrome in dogs although I have heard about it in humans, but I don't think what I heard applies here. So all I can offer is a cyber hug and a prayer for your little guy - I hope he recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about poo Rocco. I had a dog who went both blink and deaf; but, he was old. He learned his way around and may have seen some shadows, I don't know. Praying for the little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about poor little Rosco. He does the best in your arms as he feels your love and feels secure. I don't know anyting about the syndrome. Hopefully he will be feeling better soon. I will keep both of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! We had a dog that did the same type of thing. (Lab/german shorthair cross). The vet said it was a type of a stroke. He would walk in circles in the basement moving turning in one direction. He would run into the wall, chimney, chairs. He could not see. Herb had to carry him out to take him to the vet. He gave Nick a shot to relax a nerve that was tightening around a vessel. It took several days, but it relaxed and he returned to normal. It was very frightening. I don't remember how old he was at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Janet, I am so sorry. I know nothing about this problem but I do know how disheartening it is to have your close friend so sick. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janet, I am so sorry that poor Rocco isn't feeling well. Of course, I will say a prayer that he gets better quickly. I have never heard of this disease. Hang in there, my friend. I know how hard it is on us when one of our furbabies is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No Janet I have not heard of the syndrome.Poor Rocco, he must be very stressed as are you.Hope he gets over it soon. I would also just hold him and look after him. Other things can wait.
    Higs to both
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very unusual. I have never heard of it. He is probably most comfortable being held because it is safe--nothing to run into, nothing frightening that he can't see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor little thing. I hope he gets better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor Rocco! I have never heard of this syndrome. We did have a cat that ate a poisonous lizard and had similar problems. It's hard to see them go through things like this. Maybe Rocco needs one of those baby slings. That way you can hold him and still get some things done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Janet, I'm so sorry to hear about Rocco's troubles. I'll keep him (an you) in my prayers for healing. I've not had any experience with this, but I have heard about it, and from what I've read, with some time, he should be back to his little sweet self. It's so hard to watch those we love struggle. I'm glad that he is finding comfort in your arms. The other things can wait. Wish I were there to do those other things for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your dear little Rocco is getting better. That has to be so hard - he is a part of your family. I pray all goes well. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Hannah post. I am so proud of her and she truly is enjoying her stint in the Peace Corps even though it's rough at times. Glad you like my red quilt. I'm glad it's together. Take care, Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for posting this. Our Chihuahua has had an illness recently that has had us very scared. After reading your post I went and did some research and this might be what he has had. The first time he had it he was sick of about 8-9 days. This ast time it was for about 4 day. I sure hope Rocco gets feeling better. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. My darling, so sorry to hear this, poor little guy. When your holding him, give him a hug from us. All our thought are with you both.
    lots and lots of love X X X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Our Buffy had vestibular disease a few years ago when she was about 14. She had a very pronounced head tilt, she kept falling over (and barfing) and her eyes twitched oddly from side to side. We thought she had had a stroke, but the vet diagnosed vestibular disease. She was put on a course of antibiotics and it cleared up in a few days. I recognized the beginnings of a recurrence about a year later and called in for some more antibiotics, which kept it from ever fully progressing to the full blown disease. Hers was caused by an inner ear infection. She did not get steroids, which probably wouldn't have helped an infection. Perhaps your vet could try a course of antibiotics.

    Hope this helps little Rocco!
    Susan in Texas

    PS It was funny, the second time Buffy got vestibular I could tell something was wrong because our cleaning lady said Buffy let her pet her for the first time in 3 years. Now Buffy was a timid rescue who avoided absolutely EVERYONE but my DH and me for 17 years. I checked her over carefully, and sure enough, her eyes were twitching weirdly again and she looked VERY unhappy. She healed up and never let Mrs. G pet her again. 8/

    ReplyDelete
  17. HUGS, Janet! I can't help you with that particular disease...hope whatever the vet suggests is helping Rocco now.

    I will keep you both in my prayers.

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete