Thursday, September 1, 2011

Time for harvest


The silage cutter is starting on the corn today.  This end of the field is still pretty green, but the other end has already gotten pretty dry. 

We cut the oats for silage this year instead of combining or baling it.  DH is trying something new.  So the pile already has a good start.  DH drives the tractor with the dozer back and forth to pack the chopped up corn and stalks down into a compact pile of feed. 

 

The garden is producing!  I had men for dinner, so I picked a box of vegetables.  I'm so glad my tomatoes are starting to ripen finally.  The green peppers are small, but plentiful.  I hope the freeze holds off, so I can get some more tomatoes.  There have been years when it froze Labor Day week-end. 



Look who wants breakfast.  DH has renamed "Baby".  She is affectionately called "The Beast".   He feels sorry for her being in her pen by herself, so now she has "free range" of the place.  I really don't like it.  After DH saw me running for the house from her with an empty bottle, he christened her --The Beast.   I told DH--"next thing you know, she will be on the deck looking in the patio doors".  I sure hope not!!  lol

10 comments:

  1. How funny! I can just see her looking through the door!
    I can't even imagine frost Labor Day weekend! We're still in the 100's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie, she looks more like a baby than a beast to me:) Hope the frost holds off, those veggies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DH and keeping busy with the baleing. Hope you have plenty of feed for the winter.
    Mmm!!! Nice box of fresh veg Janet.
    LOL I bet "The Beast" will be on the patio soon looking at you through the window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFL, Janet, that's too funny! Glad your garden is producing!

    Carol (NJ)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby the Beast lol. I hope DH isn't setting you up for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine frost over Labour Day but I know we are expecting much lower temps early next week - 15-18 degrees celcius. Much cooler than we would normally expect! Lovely haul from the garden - I don't like weeding but I sure do like eating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so funny. I can see her sitting on the porch. Let's hope she does not try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you are already having to worry about frost. Seems to me like we've only just finished with last winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm envious of your garden produce! It's just been too hot and dry this summer and my garden is in a sad state. Wish I could bend your ear about recipes you fix when you have a crew. I'm always looking for new, tried and true recipes for when I have men to cook for. I have 10 days coming up. With 3 meals a day, it's a challenge, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete