Sunday, February 19, 2012

So Organized

I've been wanting to make one of these sewing mat organizers ever since last fall's Retreat.  My childhood friend, Jill and her friends had all made them.



I used 2 FQs--one for the top and one for the bottom.  The pocket is made with 1/2 of a FQ.   I free motion quilted around the flowers and leaves.  I made a sandwich, so I didn't have to bind it, just turn it.  Then I just sewed a few straight horizontal lines to anchor the front and back together.  I made different size pockets.



Now I'll always have my marking pen, scissors and ripper right where I need them--if I put them back in the pockets.  When you go to sewing group or retreat, the pockets hold your supplies.  You only need to fold it in half and roll it up.  I have yet to make a tie to hold the roll in  place--if I do.

We are checking heifers for the neighbors this week-end.  They are at regional wrestling for their son.   Two new babies yesterday--so cute.  I should have had the camera.  As DH says the first few are always the cutest, after a month you are too tired to notice cute.  lol  It will be about 5 weeks until we'll need to start checking our heifers. 

11 comments:

  1. What a great and useful piece. One of these days I should try making one for myself...that, and a cover for my sewing machine. I just keep putting things off! :o(

    And I am laughing at your DH's comment...I can imagine how much work the baby cows can be! But, they are really cute!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sewing machine cover is on my list of things to make too!

      Delete
  2. That's a pretty sewing mat! I've never made one because my machine sits down into my sewing table. It would be nice to help me get organized though! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute sewing organizer! I never go to retreats, but I would certainly want one if I did. My sewing machine sits on a custom table that has cubbies to stash my tools. You know, that's so cute, I may have to make one anyway. :) Our heifers are in full calving mode. Babies popping up everywhere! My favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen these--love yours--but I know I would not put things back into the pockets--so I wish you luck with doing so with your 'tools'!!
    Give a baby calf a hug for me!!!
    Hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your sewing mat and having everything right at your finger tips--if I would just put things where they go. I love the table runner in your header. Good luck with the new little
    babies. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your sewing mat too! After this weekend's Sew-In, my first, I have seen different things to make quilting away from home more convenient. A mat would be quite helpful. I saw some other things that quilters had with them that are now a "want" for me. I need a large thread catcher. I had thread everywhere. And several had these little magnetic pin dish like holders. Yes! I need one of those too. Well stay warm in the further reaches of ND. Thanks for stopping by my blog this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one on my sewing table, too and I use it all the time. I like knowing where my things are at all times. The fabric you chose is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice new header photo Janet.
    Oh your sewing machine mat looks great. Have made them as gifts but never one for me. LOL
    I can understand the calves would not be so cute when you have sooooo many too fed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea. I love your new organizer. I just might have to try that.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete