Friday, November 12, 2010

Is It Friday Already?

 Down on the Farm is completed--not quite.  I really did think I was done.


 I even made a label (blocked the last name on the photo).  Then I washed it with Color Catchers--lots of green flannel color was caught.  Oh, dear now look................  Have you ever had fabric disintegrate?

Sorry for the out of focus shot!!  This John Deere fabric just disappeared from the scarecrow's sleeve and neckline.  I know I should wash fabric before I use it--I don't, never have.  I might start.  I know I've had this material for a while--not sure how long, but evidently too long.  I'm going to do a little patching.  : ( 

I learn something new every time I make something. 


 DH has been hauling bale stacks this week.  This is the stack mover empty.  The mover tilts down and slides under the stack of bales.  Little fingers help pull the hay up on the stackmover.

 Here he is headed in with a load.

There are 20 big bales in each stack.


He is headed to the feed yard to unload.

We should have plenty of hay to feed the cows this winter.  (click to make larger for better photo).  DH is glad to get this job done.  He had been waiting a week for parts for the stack mover, so he could get started.  We also worked on water tanks and the well this week before the weather gets colder. 

We found out today that a regulator on our 1000 gallon propane tank failed and it leaked to empty.   It was an expensive failure for a $15.00 part and propane went up $.30 since our summer fill the end of August.  Rats! 


The weather has still been fairly decent out.  I don't think Soot could get any higher in that poor little volunteer tree. 

Rocco and friends have been enjoying the sunshine this week.


It's been a busy week but I've been blog hopping and trying to win the new 100 Blocks magazine from Quiltmaker.  I won a copy last year and was hoping I could again.  I really need another magazine.  : )

As soon as I get the little scarecrow patched, I'm looking forward to starting another project.  I need to do something quick and easy again, before I go back to borders on my pinwheel quilt.  I still need sashing on my Jelly Roll quilt too.  It will be fun just to work on whatever I want to.  Have a great week-end. 

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...I've never seen anything like that happen after a quilt was washed for the first time! I hope you can repair it without too much trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had something like that happen, even on my Great-Grandma's fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that all those kitties are having a ball while the "sun" shines and Rocco is just helping them along!!!
    I have had alot of trouble with fabrics fading--big time--but discovered that they where the fabrics that I bought at Joann's and Walmart--
    so now I only--only buy quilt shop fabrics and I always try to check the weave---so fabrics are just so cheaply made!!!
    Have a great week end--Hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is gorgeous...but I have never seen fabric do that either....good luck with your repairing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little quilt is just darling - cannot imagine what caused that piece of fabric to do that. I am sure you will be able to fix it. And I always love the pictures of your ranch and your little animals and your great big sky!! Have a nice weekend. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't there some kind of insurance that would cover that propane tank leak? Seems like there should be.

    I've never seen that piece of equipment that moves those stacks of hay. I've been off the farm too long, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful quilt, pity about the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your DH has been very busy getting all the feed stacked for the winter.Sorry to hear about your leaky tank.Not good.
    The baby quilt is gorgeous and I also have never heard of fabric just disappearing like that.Now annoying.
    Good to see Rocco rumping around with his fuury friends.
    Oh it's nearly Sunday here. Where do he days go???
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet, your quilt turned out great, aside from the fabric mishap. That propane mishap really hurts. We have the same size tank and I know how much it costs to fill it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Janet,

    Your quilt is stunning,it will be well loved and used. Thanks for the round-up about your farm.
    Happy days. Good luck with your next project.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. John Wayne is beautiful, thanks for sharing the great pics.

    Bummer about the propane!! I use heating oil here, lock in my price in the summer. Good thing too because the price is already going through the roof and winter isn't even here yet.

    Gasoline is getting close to $3 too... what's up!?

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is really weird about the John Deere fabric - I have only seen that in very old quilts. The picture of the kitty in the tree is priceless and always good to get glimpses of life on the farm. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete