Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A New Shirt


The little scarecrow has a new shirt and I think it looks pretty good.   Down on the Farm is officially done!  We are hoping to  see the new baby, John over the Thanksgiving holiday.   Michelle has to work Thanksgiving Day, so we are still figuring out our plans.

I decided I wanted to make a zipper bag.  I used LuAnn's tutorial.  I have a zipper phobia.  I haven't put a zipper in anything since I was in high school.  It was an awful experience and I've just always avoided making anything with a zipper.  I've been saving tutorials for bags.  There are so many cool patterns on blogs now.  When I was at the Quilter's Corner last time I looked at their bag patterns and of course they had the turny thing full of Terry Atkinson's Snip, Zip and Go zippers.   I decided to buy a couple, so I bought a orange one and a black one, because Halloween was coming.



Here it is--with it's orange zipper.  I probably would rather have had a pink one, but this one will be for me.  It is my "over coming zipper phobia" bag.  I used two fat quarters and will have two bags.  The inner lining is pink--no picture.   Since I used fat quarters I didn't have fabric for a handle, so I have a handle made from different fabric.  I just used some yellow ribbon for a zipper pull.  



I used the left over batting from around the edges of the  baby quilt and quilted a grid pattern with the #4 stitch on my Bernina  2.0 length.  I like that little squiggle stitch.  I can see some more of these in my future.  I think my girls would like them.  I'll have to wait until I go somewhere for more zippers.  

The weather has gotten colder here and there is a touch of snow in the air.  They came to combine our sunflowers today.  I had meatloaf and baked potatoes in the oven for dinner, but switched to making ham sandwiches for a field lunch.  I baked chocolate chip cookies this morning, so they got some of those too.

Rocco spent part of the morning outside in his flannel shirt.  He's warming up his feet on the heating pad, so he can go out again.

Our quilting group meets tomorrow night.  We are going to work on another "fire" quilt from donated fabric.  I hope the farm schedule allows me to go--we'll see.   


9 comments:

  1. So glad you were able to get over your zipper phobia! I love Terry's patterns and the zippers are great. I'm using them for several Groovy Girls samples. I actually started quilting a bunch of fabric last night to make small bags for the girls at retreat this weekend. I love the little zippered bags and I hope they will too. Maybe with some luck I can get them done tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Down on the Farm quilt is darling. I'm sure it will be loved. Congratulations on overcoming your zipper phobia. I had the same thing in high school until I really needed a dress and attempted it at home. For some reason it seemed much easier. The bag is lovely! Poor Rocco, I'll bet those tiny feet get cold fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for not only making the bag but providing the link to the tutorial. I've been looking for that link forever. LOVE the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little bag. Rocco looks so cute in his jacket. How is his eye?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy! Nice save on the shirt! (I love the idea of the heating pad to warm puppy feet!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Scarecrow thanks you for "redressing" him--he was getting cold too!!! Rocco looks sooo cute in his "jacket"--and I am also a Zipper hater--but I don't mind the ones we put in tote bags and purses--that way is kinda "cool"!!!
    Hugs, Di and Gracie sends you a "purr"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The scarecrow looks "COOL" in his new jacket. Now nice that JOHN is getting a John Deere Quilt.
    Your little bag looks great with it's flash zipper. Good on you. I dislke zippers too.
    Rocco looks very cozy in his Fannels.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link to the bag tutorial! I'm going to make some!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little bag is darling. I will have to check out the tutorial. Rocco sure looks cute in his flannel!

    ReplyDelete