We had quilting group on Wednesday evening. The last two meetings were cancelled due to the weather, so it was really nice to get together again. A woman from a neighboring town came to give a trunk show and show us how she hand quilts. I was so mad--I forgot my camera in my hurry to get out the door and into town so I could do all the farm errands. She has made some lovely quilts and showed some vintage quilts from her mother and MIL.
Her mother had been in a care facility for a number of years and accumulated a large amount of "dusters" or house coats. When her mom passed away she made quilts from them for all the family members. The one I liked the best had blocks made with the fancy collars and pockets. She had photos of all of the quilts.
She keeps a binder with all the patterns, pictures and fabric samples of the quilts she has made. It was fun to look through.
You can see the photo of my sample quilting. Some of our group brought quilts and wall hangings to quilt. I have hand quilted before, but it was 30 years ago. I hand quilted Michelle's baby blanket I made her. I think it would be very relaxing to do in the evenings. I think it takes alot of practice to make small and even stitches, but I even like the look of the larger stitches. I think the "new" in thing of quilting with large stitches and perle cotton thread looks fun.
I've been having trouble with my right shoulder, arm and hand, so I didn't do a lot of stitching. I've had bursitus in my shoulder before, but it has never hurt down into my arm and hand. I've put off going to the doctor until my yearly check-up.
We have had a whole week of warmer weather (above 32) and high wind. The snow has quickly disappeared. It has even been drying up in the yard. DH is hauling snow from the sorting pens. We plan to sell our calves in the next two weeks. They are predicting 6 inches of snow this week-end, so maybe we'll be back to square one. lol
Have a great week-end. Hugs!


Sounds like an interesting trunk show and I like your hand quilting you've shown so far. I've never hand quilted but am probably going to hand quilt my hexagon flower garden quilt when it comes time. Too bad about your hand and arm tho. I had some trouble with mine the last two weeks but it seems to have cleared up so I'm able to do my embroidery and hexagon flowers. Hope yours gets better soon. Take care!
ReplyDeleteLike you hand quilting. So the blue stuff actually came out? I've only handquilted the one for my Mom. I used 1/4 tape and echo quilting.
ReplyDeleteMight try that again. It was very relaxing.
Re: the snow-- it's nice to get some of the snow cover melted and out of the way, but we know there'll be more to replace it, at least till April.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a hand quilter, but there are so many lovely projects here and there on the web. One of these days I'll try it. I'll probably go with the large stitches and perle cotton first. That appeals to me.
Hi Janet--sorry you are having some arm troubles--Hopefully it will go away as quickly as it came!!
ReplyDeleteI have been having more trouble with my right wrist and right elbow this winter--not had trouble before--it's the weather--yep--I have just decided it's just the weather!!!!
I just read where we are suppose to get somemore snow too!!! oh well!!!
I only hand quilt--and I really love doing it--I usually do alittle each morning right after breakfast--it's starts my day off nicely!!
so keep going with it--!!!
Hugs, Di and miss gracie
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your shoulder down to your hand. Hope it gets better soon.
ReplyDeleteIt would have been great to see the Truck Show. I would love to do a Hand Quilt one day.
It does not take long for the snow to melt.
Sending healing prayers your way and nagging thoughts for you to not put off going to the doctor! LOL! I love hand quilting, but have a long way to go before I become very proficient in it. I like always having somthing to stitch on in the evenings. I hear you on tending to the farm errands before heading into town - I've thrown my share of hay bales and fed milk to dogie calves while dressed for church. Grin!
ReplyDeleteI like to hand quilt small projects. For big quilts I like to accent with a bit of hand quilting. I always feel like a quilt that is going to get multiple washings needs to be machine quilted to keep it all together.
ReplyDeleteI hope your shoulder eases up for you. I also hope your yearly check up isn't too far away. Bursitis is very painful.
I just can't seem to master the art of hand quilting with those tiny needles and tiny stitches, although I do enjoy doing it. I think I may have to stick with big stitch quilting. My hands don't cramp when I do that and I enjoy it more. Sorry to hear about your bursitis - hope you can get some relief soon.
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself. Not to nag, but ignoring sudden, unexplained symptoms is not generally a good idea.
ReplyDelete