Friday, February 25, 2011

The Week That Was


Where did a week go?  It has been a snowy, cold miserable week here.  We had a 3 day blizzard over the week-end and got back all our snow that had melted.  It was -16 this morning.  Brrrrrr!

I did finish doing the embroidery on my February Hearts wall hanging.  I started the machine quilting in the ditch, but still need to finish quilting.   I'm excited to get started on quilting the Pinwheel quilt.  I need to move things around so I have plenty of space for it and my machine.   It is my next project--for sure.

I had the dreaded "tax appointment" yesterday in Miller.  The roads were a sheet of ice and the visibility not great.  I've driven in much worse when I was driving to town for work.  I took the 4 wheel drive pick-up and drove slow.  I wouldn't have gone, but it is nearing the farm tax deadline and we needed groceries and cat food.  

I couldn't believe some of the prices at the grocery store--$3.39 for a stalk of celery.  I couldn't bring myself to pay that.  Baby carrots were on sale for $.99 a bag, so I got two of those.   DH requested chicken and dumplings for the menu, so he was lucky chicken was on sale.  lol   We eat alot of beef, so it's nice to have something different on the menu during the week too.  I picked up a ham for Sunday. 

We are going to sort calves on Sunday to sell at the sale barn on Wednesday.  Sunday is predicted to at least be in the 20's and our sorting help could come that day too.  We will sell all the bigger calves and keep back the small ones and some heifers for next year.  I'll be glad when that is all over.  The calf check is our major income of the year and we are hoping that the market is doing well that day.  

DH is out moving snow again in the sorting pens.  At least there wasn't any mud to clean up this week.  : )

Have a great week-end. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the embroidery around the hearts. It really adds to the block. Our snow was almost gone and we got more and they say we are in for more tonight into tomorrow. I am so ready for spring! I just finished my taxes and so wish we didn't have to do them. But,thankfully, we have a good tax man, my SIL's father. I hope your sale of the calves will go well for you. I work at a grocery store (bookkeeper) and it is hard to watch the prices keep going up. Guess we're going to have to get back to doing a
    bigger garden. Am hoping that the prices of fruit and veggies will come back down. The freeze in Mexico certainly hasn't helped. Good luck with everything and stay warm. Nola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet--I think we all are being cold but not as cold as you right now--we had blizzard like conditions here for the last 24 hours--and maybe more to come!! but then it is still winter-sooo!!!
    Pray you get really gooooood prices this year for those calves!
    and I believe the prices of everything goes up every spring anyways--so I am never surprised by it!!
    Love your heart quilt and the embroidery you have done on it--way to go--well friend keep warm and keep stitching--summer and the heat will be here soon enough!!!
    hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't let those cats run out of food!! Unfortunately, I think groceries are going to keep going up :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Janet, I am so sick of snow. Our snow had finally melted and the ground was even dry. Now we have 7 more inches of the nasty white stuff. It was blowing so bad last night that my dh couldn't get home. He had to stay in town. He came home tonight, ate supper, and went to bed. LOL He was exhausted. Your quilt looks lovely. I love embroidery on a quilt. I hope you have a good weekend. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hearts look lovely Janet.
    I am also working on quilting a Quilt for my Sister's 60th. You DO need a lot of space. Be pleased when this one is finished.
    Oh it must be awful driving on such slippery roads but you have to feed the cats.
    It is still very hot and humid here each day.
    Hope your calf sales go well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No bear food ? :-)
    It all sounds a very hard life Janet. Best of luck with your calves, keep safe and warm. :-)xxx

    ReplyDelete