I got the borders put on the Pinwheel quilt. I wish I had made the outside border 4 inches instead of 3. The quilt ended up being a 67 x 67 inch square. This is the biggest quilt I've ever made. I'm more of a baby quilt/table runner quilter. This will be a challenge for me to quilt on my machine. I'm not sure how I'm going to quilt it.
This is the fabric for the backing. I bought this from the clearance shelf at a LQS for $2.99 a yard a couple years ago. I really liked it and bought it thinking it would make a pretty backing. I spent yesterday ironing and piecing it together. Now I have all three pieces of the quilt laying out and resting on the bed in the computer room.
Of course I'm procrastinating the sandwiching process today and worrying about how I should quilt it. So I got out some Valentine fabric. I have Terry Atkinson's pattern for "Snap Happy Bags" and I want to make some for Valentine's treats. Don't you just love Valentine fabric? I have quite a bit of it too. lol I got an old broken measuring tape from DH to use. He's interested in seeing what I'm going to do with it.
I finished up my Little Birdie block #1 this morning. I wasn't sure I was going to like using 6 strands of floss or the colors I chose. I'm using the light gray fabric from the Sunkissed line and the snow is a cream color. I have never embroidered with 6 strands of floss before either. It has a very "chunky" look to it. Now that I have it done, I'm kind of liking the different look. It's good to try new things and have it look different than what I've always done. It's growing on me every time I look at it. I do need a different needle to work with next time. There are some blood spots I'm hoping come out on the snowman's tummy. I think a needle with a bigger head might pull through the fabric easier. I'll have to check in town tomorrow for something like that.
I'm headed to town early in the morning with Peanut. She is scheduled for her spay surgery at the vet. She needs to be there at 8:00 am and I can pick her up after lunch. She loves being outside, but she's sleeping on our bed with Rocco this afternoon. Too cold for her, I guess. It was -15 F this morning with a -42 wind chill. It is suppose to warm a little tomorrow. The sun is shining brightly today tho--that always makes it more bearable. : )



Ohhh...The quilt is pretty, Janet!
ReplyDeleteI don't know what I was thinking, but the latest UFO I have pinned and waiting for me to quilt is 80" x 96"! Why? Why? Why? *head banging on desk*
Love your birdie block! I used three strands of floss for my stitching and I'm quite happy with it. I was just afraid six would be too much. Now I can't wait until the next block comes out! :0)
ReplyDeleteYour quilt looks beautiful! I ended up using four strands for the birdie block - just couldn't bring myself to use 6. Love your birdie and the stitching looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see it finished. BTW, I understand Peanut. That weather is too cold for me too.
ReplyDeleteLove the Blush quilt. Wish I had gotten some of that fabric! Whatever happened to Peanut's kittens?
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt--way cool!!!
ReplyDeleteand I have the birdie run off--but can't decide what color background--at least that sounds better than saying that I just haven't gotten to it yet!!!! I did not realize though that you used all six strands--wow!!!
I am with Peanut--I will stay inside with those temperatures!!!
Keep warm--
Hugs, Di
Your quilt is delicious. Good luck with the quilting. I've done up to a queen sized quilt in my DSM and it came out fine. Just arrange the quilt around the bed of the machine and try to only think about the part right in front of you. Needle down is a very good thing.
ReplyDeleteI love your fabric choices for your quilt. I can't wait to see the finished project. You embroidery project is looking really cute. Stay warm!!!
ReplyDeleteThat backing fabric is beautiful, and what a bargain.
ReplyDeleteI love your stitched block and the effect using 6 strands of cotton.
Good luck to Peanut.
Hi there!
ReplyDeleteYou already stitched the first Birdie Block, I like it, I think the coulours are different but special!
KATRIN W.
Whew and I thought our 0* with a windchill of -15* was cold. LOL I don't blame Peanut. I'd stay in on the bed too. I love your little birdie block. I am thinking about doing that BOM too. I will probably just use 3 or 4 strands of floss, though. I don't think I can get 6 strands threaded in my needle easily. I am working on block 4 of the Raggedy BOM. I really hope to be caught up by the time the next one come out. I also want to do Henrietta Whiskers. Hmmm, maybe I should get off the computer and get to work. LOL Have a good day, my friend. Stay warm. Brrr.
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt and your block is adorable!
ReplyDeleteMicki
That backing fabric was such a bargain. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the little birdie block; you are quick :)
ReplyDeleteThat was a great deal on that beautiful backing fabric
SheilaC
The pinwheel quilt is really pretty. Machine quilting for me is a process. I have to be in the mood to tackle bigger projects. Sometimes getting started is the biggest hurdle:)
ReplyDelete