I decided to catch up on my Raggedy & Friends blocks first. This is block 4 completed. I have block 6 embroidered and patchwork pieces cut out. Tonight I worked on embroidering #5.
We had a 3 day blizzard to end 2010 and begin 2011. It started Thursday with flurries and wind. Friday was the day with the most snow and high wind. We stayed home New Years Eve--we usually do. lol We actually stayed up past midnight. We watched a movie and it didn't get over until 12:15. Saturday morning was very windy, but suddenly after dinner it went down and the blizzard was over.
At times I could hardly see the road and not the trees at all.
We had a bank on the deck to shovel off.
The barn doors were snowed shut.
Nobody in the dog house--completely covered up!
Today, Sunday the sun was shining bright. The white was blinding. Sunshine makes me feel so much better.
DH got the snowblower hooked up and went to work. It attaches to the back of the tractor and he backs up into the snow to blow it out of the way. He cleaned out the calves' yard and made a spot to feed the cows tomorrow.
It was -10 F this morning. January is my least favorite month--it's usually the coldest month. When it's cold that makes me want to bake. I made buns and cookies. It warmed up the kitchen nicely.
Happy New Year to all of you!









Wow, all that snow is unbelievable. It would be much nicer if you could just stay inside and look at it instead of having to go out into it.
ReplyDeleteWow you certainly got the snow...blizzards are cetainly good for baking! I don't know about you, but I can't wait for spring!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year to you, too. The bad weather didn't make it to Eastern Iowa and I am not complaining. ;-)
ReplyDeleteStay warm!!
I love the new block - I recognize several of my favorite fabrics from Connecting Threads (the orange birds especially!). Gotta love the snow too - we've had so much of that and so much of melting that most parking lots are two inches of ice, not parking spaces!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy your blog, Janet, it takes me back to the years on my grandparents farm, love all the photos as well. I never have been able to bake, my biscuits could be used for hockey pucks so I live vicariously through ladies like you who do it well. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteKathie
OK, so I just read your post and now I'm going to make a fire in the fireplace. My family has a cattle ranch in OK, not quite so cold there but plenty of work to do all the time. Keep warm.
ReplyDeleteThe only positive thing I can write about January is that I like putting up new calendars. Otherwise, the temps and snowstorms and gray skies of January put it at the bottom of my list of favorite months. Your great photos show the fury of the blizzard. I live in a city now, but the photos remind me of my growing-up days on a farm. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ReplyDeleteThat is a lot of snow - wow! Glad you all have the equipment to get it cleared off in a hurry. And oh my gosh.... -10? That is COLD! Stay in and stay warm, my friend!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I absolutely LOVE your photo on your header...gorgeous!
XOXO,
Cyndi
I think your temps are headed our way. I don't imqagine y'all calve this early up north, do you? We don't generally have those kinds of temps here, but we're bracing for it next week. Just about to start calving too. Ugh. We could certainly use the moisture though. Sounds like y'all have the perfect setup with that snowblower! I hope a cold, snowy New Year means lots of quilting time for you.
ReplyDeleteI have been to S. Dakota...I thought it beautiful, but boy is it cold! Good luck with the snowy month!
ReplyDeleteMicki
Wow Janet, I do not envy your snow. (grin) We had snow like that last year. This year, we have had about 3 inches total all season. Supposed to be a storm coming in early next week, though. Hopefully not as bad as yours, nor as cold. It was 48* here today. Almost balmy. LOL
ReplyDelete