After looking through all my starts from last year, I decided to set 2 goals for January. The first one was to catch up on the Raggedy Ann & Friends blocks. I completed block 5 & 6 the last couple days. I know the next one will be out pretty soon, so I wanted to get all caught up. I really want to stay on track with this quilt. I like doing the embroideries and I love using my stash to piece the scrappy blocks.
My second goal is to put borders on my pinwheel quilt and get it totally finished. I really like the Blush fabrics I used. I got this one out today and layed it on the bed. Now to measure and decide what borders I want to put on it.
I haven't joined any UFO groups. I guess I have committment phobia. lol I know how little I can predict in my life, so it's better to set a couple small goals and proceed. I can do the stitchery for the Little Birdie BOM now some evening too.
We had quilting last night. I sewed strips of fabric for 3 hours. We are making a rails and stars quilt. The fabric was donated by a friend of one of our members. It's mostly odds and ends, so this is a scrappy quilt. Each year our group likes to make at least one quilt as a group. The quilt will be given to a family who most needs it. Last year a family lost their home to a fire and we gave them the quilt we had made. I brought beef vegetable soup, buns and apple butter for supper. There were only 4 of us. Cold weather and family deaths made for a small group. It was 9 F when I drove home at 9:00 pm. We will meet again in two weeks.
DH just doesn't understand how it can be fun to haul my sewing machine, sewing equipment, pot of soup and fixings 30 miles to meet for 3 hours. It is such a soul restoring time for me. Of course, I still had time to pick up 16 bags of medicated feed and buy groceries. It's so nice to sew and visit with other women, especially the others that drive from the country. We had a nice "bitch" session last night about husbands and ranching.
It's nice to know we all have the same challenges. I'm certainly glad we aren't lambing like some are right now.
DH is grinding feed today. I helped him get everything set up this morning after feeding. I'm so glad it was 30 degrees out and the sun shining. He didn't stop for lunch. Rocco and I delivered chicken salad on a bun to him. He will grind enough feed for 10 days. I hurried back to the house to start piecing block 6, before something broke down. : )
I'd better get planning my borders, before I need to go help DH unload the truck. Until next time..........



Your blocks look great. The blush quilt is stunning. I have a jelly roll of it, just haven't had time to make anything yet. I can completely understand how much fun it is for you to sew with others for a couple hours. I have the bitch sessions with my friends when we sew too. Sure makes for a fun evening!
ReplyDeleteHow many blocks are there in the Raggedy Ann & Friends quilt? That will be darling when it's finished! Your pinwheel quilt is lovely too - I made a Sugar Twist quilt using that same fabric which reminds me, I have a quilt to bind! I'm envious of your quilting gatherings! I need to make time for that. Your DH sounds like mine - always working, but its a wonderful life, isn't it? Wouldn't change a thing about it!
ReplyDeleteThose blocks look so cute. I understand about not wanting to join a UFO group. For me I am just in denial about how much I should finish, LOL! Take care.
ReplyDeleteYour raggedy ann blocks are coming right along--good to keep up!!!! Love the next quilt and the colors tooo and you will be delighted when it is finished!!! I am doing the birdie one I believe--but don't want to be sooo over committed this year--so!!! I am not really joining any ufo challenges or such either--just want to work at getting alot of them done--but want to work at my own pace and pick my own projects each month !!
ReplyDeleteHave a great day--hugs, di and that miss gracie
I just love your Raggedy Ann blocks. I downloaded the first and never got any further.
ReplyDeleteYour pinwheels will look beautiful when you get it all bordered and quilted. Great colours.
No men do not understand how much we just need and love our time stitching and bitching with our friends.It is so good for you Janet.
Have fun doing your challenges.
Janet, your Raggedy Ann blocks look great. I am 3 months behind on it, but trying to catch up before the next one comes out. Did you see Anne Sutton of Bunny Hills' (I think that is her blog name) new block of the month? It is called Henrietta Whiskers. She is a little squirrel. I may try to do this one as my mom loves squirrels. It is applique, though, not one of my strong areas, but I guess practice improves. (grin) I wish I had some friends close enough to get together to sew with. I don't even know anyone around here who sews, let alone quilts. LOL Have a good evening.
ReplyDeleteJanet the blocks are coming along just fine. I give you credit going out in the cold, although I have been known to do the same I just don't have to drive so far.
ReplyDeleteYour raggedy quilt is very nice. I also like your other quilt. I have not had much time for quilting I have had both my children in hospital. I can not hug my son because he is to fare away. But my daughter has been staying with me. We both clinb in the the queen bed last night and talk for some time it did bring back lot of memories when she was young.
ReplyDeleteLove Raggedy Ann! I have saved the patterns but so far have done nothing with them. I think they are so cute and yours look wonderful. Loved your little story of your DH not understanding driving 30 miles to quilt for 3 hours and hauling your sewing machine, food, etc. That is so cute! I am glad you aren't lambing right now, too! My dear, you have a full time job right there on your ranch. However, I know you are a happy woman with a happy family. What more can a person ask? Just maybe a little extra time for quilting! Carol
ReplyDeleteVery scrappy happy and a good way to start!
ReplyDeleteQuilting gals getting together and having a b**ch and gripe session as they sew must be common in every state and every country. There's something so liberating about being with others who understand. The words and stories and complaints just start flowing out of our mouths as the other heads start nodding in agreement.
ReplyDeleteYou have great projects going, Janet, and I'm like you -- haven't joined any UFO groups. I know what I need to do, and I'll do it eventually.
While I am only a farm daughter, I think I would enjoy your "conversation." Everything else in life is diminished by combining & calving! One year my sisters & I hung a stuffed cow in front of my dads barn video camera. When he turned the monitor on in the house he was not impressed!
ReplyDeleteGlad you get out to get a respite...hopefully you haven't gotten too much snow in the last few days!?
The picture of the barn in your blog banner is so pretty. Is that the barn on your farm?
ReplyDelete