Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It Was A Snap!


I did get the little "snap bag" made last week.  When I make something new, I like to make just one so I get the process straight in my mind.  I used the pattern by Stitchin Sisters.  I borrowed the pattern from one of my quilting groupies.  These little bags use old metal measuring tape to create the snap closure.  DH brought me about 10 feet from the shop to use.   I learned a lot making the first one and hope to get some more made for some Valentine treats.  It was quick and easy.  It took me longer to cut out the pieces than to sew it together.   There is a tutorial for one here too.

I've been in a "January funk" this last week.  It has been overcast and super, super cold. It has snowed off and on the last 3 days.  High winds a couple days blew the snow around and into the shelter belts. It was -18 this morning, but at last the sun is shining.  It is amazing what sunshine does for me.  I see on face book that a lot of people take extra Vitamin D in the winter time.  I'll have to look for some next time I get somewhere that sells that kind of thing.  When it is so cold I just want to wrap up in a blanket and vegetate.  Rocco loves when I do that, so I'm appreciated by him.   Linda sent me the book, The Quilter's Apprentice, so I was reading instead of sewing.  Thanks, Linda, it was a good read.

Peanut  had a successful surgery last week.  She was back to wanting outside in two days.  I worry about her naked tummy and getting too cold.  She whines and nags until I give in and let her out.  At least she comes back sooner than before.  I thought maybe the surgery would slow her down, but so far not a bit.


These three shared some snacks together the other morning.  "Bad Cow" walks over the cattle guard gate, which is suppose to keep her out of our yard.  She likes the corn and oats that get spilled by the grain bins.  She was joined by a cotton tail rabbit and a blue jay.   The pheasants and deer like to stop for lunch too.



I ran letters to the mailbox this morning, so I took a sunny day picture coming back.  The snow doesn't look as stacked up as it does in towns, because we have more room for it to spread out.

The cows were all waiting for "Meals on Wheels" to show up.  I don't want to come back as a cow in my next life--not a South Dakota cow, anyway.  They don't seem to mind as long as they have a lot of food.

Well, I hope to get over my funk and back into my sewing room.  With the sun shining it should help warm it up in there too.

11 comments:

  1. That little snap bag is cute! I'm ready for some sunshine and warmer weather too! How long until spring? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute little snap bag. I'll have to save the next tape measure that breaks and try it out. Try to stay warm. It will be spring eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do believe that alot of us are in a slump-funk-what ever--love your cute snap bag--I did some before Christmas and they were alot of fun to make!! they say our week end here will be for a wind chill factor of 20 below 0!!!!ouchy---that is cold for us here in NY!!!
    Keep stitching and have some hot tea!!
    Hugs,di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. January funk has got a lot of us--you'll get through it and you have such a cute and successful project to boost your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snap bag is great. I am sure DH will be able to find a broken tape for me to use. Winter is certainly getting long. Thursday night is predicted to be the coldest for us so far this new year--wind chills in -25 to -35. I am glad you have enjoyed the book--Pass it on to a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a kind of never never land time of year. But it will pass and our energy will come back and things will be normal again. So for now we hunker down and get comfy and wait. That's not so bad! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Janet,

    I wish I could send you some of our sunshine. Thanks for the link for the bag. Stay warm and cosy, and yes got to agree with you there are better things to come back as!!!

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still laughing re: your "Meals on Wheels" comment. Too funny!
    I made a big mistake a couple years ago at a weekend quilting session with friends. Everyone else, all 6 or 7 of them, made a snap bag with pieces cut from one broken tape measure. I sewed on something else and just watched them. Silly me. I think I'll give it a go this year. Your bag is cute as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little snap bag is cute.
    Oh it is cold in your part of the world and I would not like to be a cow out in the weather.
    Much nicer to be inside in the warm stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute snap bag, and what a gorgeous bunch of cattle. Wow! I was out in the snow for awhile this morning, but if I had to just stand there, I'd be waiting for Meals on Wheels, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little bag is just adorable! I love pink!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete