As my blog friend, Deanna says we have a season between Winter and Spring--mud season. The nice weather has caused the snow to leave quickly and the water to build up. The ditches are full of water and the creeks are running.
The water started running over our main road out in three places.
It's much better today, but we are left with big ruts in the road that will need some fixing. I met the mail carrier at the highway today to mail books to Desarae and Terry. I needed to get some bills in the mail too.
She refuses to drive on our road and I don't blame her. I don't like driving on it either.
DH is checking out the water flow and damages. Road construction was his first job off the farm when he was young. He knows alot about road building and maintenance. This part of the road is not county maintained, but is part of an organized township--not a township we live in. It will be interesting what happens and how quickly it gets fixed. So far it is solid enough to drive on very slowly.
Sunday I went to town for a birthday dinner and a baby shower. I used an alternate road that added 6 miles to the trip. DH called me on my way home and told me to use our road. The water had started running over the alternate road more deeply than ours. It has been raining all day, so it's not going to get a lot better soon.
It's just part of the "mud season". I'm thankful for a dry house!
The geese continue to fly every day. The sky is full of different groups and lots of honking.
This is a corn field east of our house down by the mailbox. Clouds of geese fly over and some stop to eat and rest. At night if you step outside the night is filled with the voice of thousands of geese. I'm not sure if they are planning their trip for the next day or discussing territory boundaries. There are the dark colored Canadian geese and the white Snow geese. This morning on the way to the highway there were alot more Snow geese.
What do you do when it's wet and cold out? I'm stitching Raggedy Annie redwork blocks. I may need to bake something to take off the damp chill in the house. Rocco and Peanut are snuggled up for nap time. Snoozing with someone is always more cozy. I hope you are having a good day!






Janet, I'm new to blogging and I thoroughly enjoy seeing pictures from all over the world in people's blogs. How interesting to see so much wide open space! (I live in urban NJ!) :-D
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say thank you for sharing.
Hopefully your road will be fixed soon. I'm glad that you still are able to ride over it even if it is slowly. The pictures of the geese are amazing. We are lucky if we see one small V a year and occasionally see maybe a pair of honkers in one of the local waterways. Rocco and Peanut look quite satisfied sharing their bed :)
ReplyDeleteI am envious of your mud! Mud season just skipped us by this year and it'll make for a dismal spring. We've got planty of wind though...if you want to trade!
ReplyDeleteWe've got some flooding like that nearby but thankfully our road is fine and the water has started to go down now. Stay safe!
ReplyDeleteMud season is always exciting. Good luck. Stock up on milk and eggs. And fabric.
ReplyDeleteMud Season thats a new one to me Janet. Enjoy stitching your blocks.
ReplyDeleteHappy days.
Bev.xoxo
Mud season--we are still in the winter mode here in NY--they are saying 3-9 inches of snow by tomorrow night--ouch!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of Peanut and Rocco and they have the right idea for mud time!!!!
Hugs, di and miss gracie
Miss gracie is loving the start of spring here- and all the new birds coming back!!!!
Every time we have moved I have insisted we live on a paved road for just that reason. My DD lives on a dirt road that is way slippery when it is wet. Scarey so be careful!
ReplyDeleteOh No!!! Not good when the road gets washed away. How far is it to the main road Janet??
ReplyDeleteWe are still having very HOT days here.
I think Peanut and Rocco have the right idea and you enjoy your stitching.
Looks like Rocco and Peanut have got the best idea. There's a lot of mud there!
ReplyDeleteHello from Manitoba!.....glad to see you are getting a thaw. We have started thawing up here, but everyone hopes it will be SLOW, because otherwise they are predicting a spring flood that will rival "The Flood of the Century" in 1997. Ouch.
ReplyDeleteI used to call it "mud season" when we lived in the country, too!! My shoes, boots, car and dogs were NEVER clean! We moved to a more urban area not quite 2 years ago..........this is our second spring with a paved driveway and road. I miss the space, but I don't miss the mud! Living in the country always presents some sort of challenge! Happy Spring!
Love your pictures and comments on farm life. I am sure that road is a challenge! It does appear that you and your DH and little critters handle it all well. I did put the darker border on my cabin and will post a picture soon. Thanks, Janet, for your input! Carol
ReplyDeleteLove seeing the pictures....so different from the foothills here in South Carolina. It's fun to see the pictures of different locales.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your blog each day that you post. Giggle! Glad I scrolled all the way down to see Peanut and Roco! Cute!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com
LOL, the seasons in Alabama are as follows:
ReplyDeleteAlmost summer, Summer, STILL Summer and Christmas.
I probably shouldn't tell you that we had some 80's already----in March! Too hot too soon with that stuff. And then frost one day earlier this week. Wacky, wacky weather.