I want to send out bloggy thank yous to Jodi at Pleasant Home and Patty at Mom Love 2 Quilt for the lovely charm squares I won from each of them.
The charms from Jodi were won on one of my favorite blogs "Stash Manicure". If you haven't ever visited that blog you need to. I always get inspiration from all the guest bloggers about using up scraps, organizing fabric or just a good chuckle from the stories they tell. There are always nice prizes to win too. :)
Stop by Jodi's blog and see what she's up to too. She has some really cute Halloween stuff posted.
Patty was so generous giving away 2 charm packs on her blog and then "surprise" she sent a pattern for a runner using charms too. Quilt bloggers are just the best kind of people! Patty has had alot of giveaways lately. She also has a sweet new grandson--you must see.
All three packs of charms are in winter or holiday prints, so I better get busy with the Christmas sewing---after I get the baby quilt done. I won a book with patterns using charms from Linda, so that should help me make something good.
I have been working on Down on the Farm here and there. I have two new blocks to show you. I love this scarecrow. I should have done his face for you, but I'm waiting to do the embroidery later. I'll need to put some fun straw hanging out from his arms and legs too. I had so much fun dressing him up in John Deere fabrics.
Then I messed around fussy cutting and sewing this sweet "window in the barn" block.
Next I cut out fabric for the little flying geese. Oh, I was so excited. I cut up left over scraps in 3" blocks for the Bow Tie blocks I want to make from my scraps at the same time. I used my wonderful "The Angler 2" from Pam Bono Designs, Inc. to sew the 2" corners. I bought this slick little tool about 5 years ago. It's so nice not to have to stop and draw lines on the squares.
Here's a picture of the Angler. It just tapes down to your sewing machine bed. BUT oh, dear look at those geese---what's wrong? What happened--they aren't right!? Well, it just goes to show you I can't do two things at once, because I get "dizzy". I was suppose to have rectangles that were 2" x 3 1/2" inches. I was so pleased with myself cutting up the leftovers in 3" squares that somehow I forgot the 1/2" on most of the rectangles and cut 2" x 3" 's. So I quickly made all these geese with the Angler with the wrong size rectangles. Rats!! This also is why I am a "pokey quilter", if I do anything in a hurry--it always ends up backwards, upside down or wrong. I have to go slowly and "enjoy" the process. So this morning I re-cut the rectangles. I used this
sticky note to remind me of what size I needed. lol I was disgusted with myself, but I'm over it now. I have 14 little flying geese and 2 "whole in the barn door" blocks to make this afternoon, so I better get to it.
You can see from the new header that it rained 1.2 over the week-end, so no haying today.
Happy sewing!!






I love your little blocks---especially your little John Deere man!!! I'm anxious to see the entire quilt put together.
ReplyDeleteBy they way---are the hay piles built of round bales? Do you take them in the winter to feed the beef or wait until spring?
Those farm blocks just get "cuter" and cuter!!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't remember 'green' tractors on our farm--ours where red!!!!
We all make 'boo-boos' so we can all "whine" together!!!
have fun--Hugs,Di
I like your header photo. That's an impressive storm.
ReplyDeleteI have sticky notes and reminders all around me when I cut some of my blocks. I get distracted too easily, and if I add a "senior moment" to the mix, then a written reminder is a necessity.
Those farm blocks are adorable. The little guy couldn't be any cuter.
The scarecrow is adorable. I can't wait to see the farm quilt when it is assembled. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one the uses the 'sticky note method' - lol!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute little scarecrow. It looks like you are finding lots of fun ways to use that John Deere fabric. Have fun with your new goodies. It's so fun to be the lucky winner.
ReplyDeleteLove your blocks and congrats on winning the charms!
ReplyDeleteMicki
That is a darling little quilt you have in the works! I can relate to cutting things wrong - that happens to me every once in a while. When I was doing my paper piecing, I had to do some ripping (that is horrible to take out the teensy machine stitching) every once in a while when I didn't have a large enough piece. Oh, well, she who sews rips! Your pictures on your header are always just beautiful!! Have a fun weekend! Carol
ReplyDelete