Saturday, October 9, 2010

Country Quiet--Not!

I'm not sure how this post will turn out.  I've had issues with blogger.  I wanted to let you know that it isn't always quiet in the country, especially this time of year.  The video is mostly for sound value.  If you turn it up loud you should be able to hear the thousands of black birds that are here in the slew just south of our house.



If you click on this picture you can better see them flying in flocks. In the morning at sunrise and in the evenings  toward sunset the noise is unreal as thousands of birds head to their home base to sleep through the night--although they talk all night too.  During the day the noise is not as loud.  The black birds are out eating  from our sunflower and corn fields.  We are hoping that they leave us some to harvest. 


I fused a couple more blocks yesterday afternoon.  This turkey was fun to do.


Here are three brown cows. 


I spent part of the day looking through the stash in the closet for the material I was sure I had for sashing and borders.  I'm not  to that point yet.  I wanted to get it out, so I could decide on colors for the pieced blocks.  The animal blocks have alot of browns, so I want to make the pieced blocks from more reds, yellows, blues or greens.   I ended up looking through my Christmas fabric tub.  I love Christmas fabrics.  I touched, felt and refolded each piece.  lol  At least now I know what I have in that tub.  I'm still looking for that sashing material.  Fabric in tubs isn't really a very good storage method.   There are two more tubs in the back of the closet--it might be easier to buy fabric.  :)  

By popular demand--a cat picture.  Two of Peanuts kids hanging out together. 


Rocco's eye is still in the healing process.  We do eye drops and ointment twice a day.  We are encouraged that he seems to have some eye sight in his injured eye--at least reacting to movement on that side.  We have been having beautiful, sunny and warm Indian summer days this week.  Rocco has spent all day outside playing with the kittens. 

There is still time to enter the 100 followers giveaway here.  I will draw tomorrow afternoon at 5:00 pm central time for the two quilt kits.  

 I'm not sure what is happening this afternoon.  DH took lunch to the hay field with him and I thought I would have the whole afternoon to sew, but it is raining out now.  I know that will put an end to his plans, so I know mine will change too.  Have a great week-end!!

13 comments:

  1. I used to live near Lake Michigan. There was a ravine right behind our house. So boy do I know about the blackbird noise! Really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have hte blackbirds on occassion here too. Also have the toads when it rains good and presently the ranch is being seranaded by the weaned calves in the pens - they are raising quite the ruckus.

    I'm having issues with blogger too - ugh! It will not upload pictures for me. Its quite irritating.

    Your quilt is coming along beautifully! Can't wait to see it completed. May I ask where you found that darling pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Down On the Farms blocks are looking so cute! Good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute blocks! I remember the birds heading south and stopping off in our trees too~ they do make quite a racket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your turkey and moo cows are cute.

    I have a good portion of my stash in clear tubs right now too. You're right, it is very hard to know what you have and then to find the perfect fabric. I'm hoping to have some shelves in the sewing room soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, your blocks are darling. This is going to be such a cute quilt. I was thinking about doing a post tonight, but I don't think so. I had enough frustration from blogger last night to last me for a few days. LOL Maybe they will have things going by Monday. Peanut's kittens are so cute. I wish I could play with them. I just want to hold them and rub my face on their cute heads. I am sure they would love that. NOT! LOL Have a good Sunday, my friend. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh women--you are tempting me sooooo!!!
    I really love all those farm animal blocks you are doing--I may have to get that pattern--let's see I should have some time to work on in the year 2015--yep that sounds like a plan!!!!!
    Love those kitties--thanks--
    Hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Janet,

    Love the turkey block and the others. I am sure you have the right material in your stash. Keep touching and folding,you are harming no-one!!!

    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. It always freaks me out a bit when the birds flock like that...darn, Alfred Hitchcock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If at first you don't find what you think you have, go shopping for more. That's my motto, and it's served me well for years. But it helps explain the size of my stash.
    Love the blocks today, especially the turkey.
    Just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news about Rocco. I do the same think when I'm looking for fabric. It takes me twice as long to find any thing because I have to feel my fabric and talk about how much I love the stuff.
    We have birds come around here like that sometimes too. At times there are so many of them that they actually nbend the branches of the tress they are sitting in. It's freaky reminds me of the "Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock, of course those birds were seagulls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your turkey and cows are adorable!! Glad to hear that Rocco's eye is healing. Both kitties are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the cows.
    Thanks for keeping me updated with the kittens. :-)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete