Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Snowin' and Blowin'




Twenty bright pillowcases were made last week at quilt group.  These pillow cases will be donated to the FCCLA's Angel Tree project.   One of our members was the Consumer Science teacher (Home Ec to  us oldies) for 35 years.  She died from cancer last year.  Her husband gifted her stash to our group to use in
community service projects.  We used her stash and some of our own to make the pillow cases.  The pattern we used was call the burrito method.  It makes a very nice pillow case with finished seams.  It is like
Robin Gallagher's method.  They were alot of fun to make.   We have also made two quilts that were given to families who had house fires.   It was so nice to see everyone and catch up on each other's projects.






Down on the Farm is a flimsy!    I need to piece the backing and start the sandwich process.    This has been a fun project.  The baby's due date is Halloween and he is still waiting.  Although I think his mom is more than ready for him to be here.

Today is post 100.  For those of you who have read all of this post, you will see that I am giving away this lovely stack of 14 fat quarters--Basic Grey's Blush.  Just leave a comment on this post for a chance to win.

You can see from my header and title that today is a nasty weather day in SD.  The wind is blowing 40-60 miles per hour at times and the snow is flying.  It is a reminder for us to get prepared for the season ahead.  Thank goodness this is a little taste for a couple days and then back to more temperate stuff for a short time.
I have had the crud again.  This time a chest cold with lots of coughing.  I'm feeling better today and hope to get more done today.

Rocco hates the cold.  It has put an end to his outdoor fun.  He is cuddled up on my lap under the afghan.  He has gained alittle weight and his winter clothes from last year don't fit him.  So we'll need to do some winter sewing and shopping for him too. 

Blogger has given me fits the whole time with this post.  So I'm done.....................

42 comments:

  1. Sewing for charity is very rewarding. We keep hearing about your nasty weather there. Robin and I are going to Houston tomorrow for Quilt Market. Hope there weather stays good. I am a warm weather person. Lovely giveaway you are having. How is Rocco doing these days besides feeling the cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the farm quilt! Congratulations on your 100th post! And thanks for the chance to win some great fabric! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pillowcases look awesome! It's so much fun to sew with someone elses stash and the company of friends. What a great use of them. The baby quilt is super cute! I have a similar pattern for a barn yard quilt, but have yet to make it. Would love to win your wonderful giveaway. Blush is one of my favorite lines, though it wasn't really available around here. We're getting that nasty wind again today and a few snow flakes. Sure hope it goes away tonight like they say it will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw you were getting hit by the weather - we have the winds but still warm. I've been enjoying making the pillowcases too. Your quilt is going to be a real treasure! Hope you feel better soon, keep snuggling with Rocco. Thanks for a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, just a thought - please try downloading Windows Live Writer for your posts, it's works like a dream. Completely compatible with Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bright pillowcases! I've been keeping an eye on my SD people and the weather there. We had tornado warnings in TN yesterday! Crazy weather. Stay warm:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it's snowing there. It's 75 degrees here in NH today! Very unusual for us this time of year so I know the snow will be here soon. Congrats on 100th post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here in the Yukon we have a clear sunny, but cold and crisp, day. No snow staying on the ground yet. Love all the pillowcases - so bright and cheerful. I'd love to win the blush. Congrats on 100 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely way to use your friend's fabric! The pillowcases are beautiful. :o) We've been under a tornado watch most of the morning. It's rainy, but very balmy. I'll take warm rain over cold rain anyday! LOL. Congratulations on your 100th post. Your giveaway is delightful! Happy Wednesday! Hope you feel better. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I am so glad we are living in mid-Missouri where we are have cool weather rather than your winter weather.
    We did have high winds the other night, but nothing like the rest of the country.

    I could work with that Blush, wowee ! ! ! !
    fourteen FQs. You can bet I'd love to win your giveaway celebrating your 100th post.

    Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wahoo for 100 posts!!

    All morning I have been reading about people having snow and extremely cold weather. I am almost jealous. I walked out this morning at 6:45am to feed my outdoor kitty, and felt like I walked right into a sauna. 79 degrees at 7 am is ridiculous! Where is my cool fall weather? I want some. I am ready to put on a long sleeve shirt and some pants. At this rate we may be trick-or-treating in our swim suits. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is snowing and blowing here too! I slid off the road on the way to work, yuck! Congrats on your 100 posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wind is blowing here in Michigan, too, but no snow. I do wish the darned stuff would get where it is going! Your Down on the Farm Quilt is soooo cute and will be a great blankie for a little one. And congratulations on your 100th post - I enjoy your blog, Janet! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like what you've done with that farm panel....everyone loves John Deere! Basic Grey is becoming one of my favorite designer lines...love the colors they combine...
    Congrats on 100 and hope you feel better quickly!
    freeindeed at myfairpoint dot net

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have the wind, but no snow. Will be windy tomorrow too. Happy 100 posts, and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I just love Blush. *crossing my fingers*

    Consumer Science????? Good Goddess.

    Here in Chicago, it's been blowing every leaf off every tree the last couple days, but too warm for snow. It would have been a huge blizzard otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pillow cases are so bright and happy...how cute is your "Down On The Farm"....congrats on your 100 posts....we are having lovely warm sunny spring days perfect weather....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Janet, you sure made me shiver. Your wind and snow, oh, not looking forward to that at all. And here I was complaining about our wind and upper 50's temps. LOL Those pillowcases are wonderful and for a good cause too! I love your Down on the Farm. It is so cute! Congrats on 100 posts. I hope you feel better soon. Enjoy snuggling with Rocco.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on a 100 posts! How thoughtful of your friends husband for donating her stash...kudos to your group for making such good use of it. I'm ready for this wind to be done, too... hope it ends tonight like they say.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulation on your 100 post.Your baby quilt is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I just love your farm quilt
    Well done on 100 posts

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those pillowcases are highly adorable. Such bright and happy colors. So glad you got the farm flimsy put together. It is just so cute and perfect for a new baby. So hard to believe it is snowing there. We've popped back up into the 90s again lately and had to turn the AC back on again. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blogger, Blogger, Blogger -- why do you fight the nice ladies? I read about problems all over.
    How fitting that the home ec teacher's fabric will be used in generous ways. And how generous for you ladies to be making all those pillowcases.
    Your farm flimsy is adorable, and congrat's on the 100th post! Your blog is always enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The pillow cases are great- What a wonderful way to remember a special person. Congratulations on your 100th post! I would love the blush fat quarters! I also think your "Down On the Farm" quilt is adorable. Someday I will venture into the world of applique.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH oh oh!!! I just LOVE Blush!!!

    Congrats on 100 posts!

    Way to go on the pillowcases and the quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  26. We got a little snow in Utah, too. Great sewing weather and it surely looks like you are making the best of it. Thanks for the giveaway chance, too. That would be so nice to sew with.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on your 100 posts milestone. I love your farm quilt and am interested to see how you quilt it.

    I'd just love to win your giveaway if I'm eligible as I live in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Janet,

    Those pillow cases are wonderful. Lovely for the lady to donate her stash to a great cause. The farm quilt is beautiful. I love the John Deer material,very appropriate. We are having a windy day too. No chance of snow here though. We did have 2.25 mls of rain this morning,the first for a long time. The farmers here have hardly any crop most of it is turning into hay bales.
    Happy 100 posts.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Isn't it fun to make pillowcases. Your group did a really nice job and I'll bet your friend would be very pleased with how you are using her stash. The baby quilt and the fat quarters look great. Congratulations on 100 posts.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a lovely stack of squishes! I would love to win it. I like your John Deere quilt, it's so bright and cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your farm quilt.Congratulations on your 100th post! I would love to win .

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on your 100th post Janet.
    I enjoy sewing projects for folk in need. What a great idea to donate a stash for hepling others.
    Your "Down on the Farm" looks great. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    So pleased Rocco is cuddled up under the afghan on your lap. Clever dog.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your Down on the Farm quilt is adorable. Please enter me in your giveaway - beautiful fabric!! I hope you feel better soon. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The Down on the Farm quilt is just too cute. I love it.Thanks for a chance to win your giveaway!
    micki

    ReplyDelete
  35. I was thinking about you when I heard the snow was flying and wondering how you fairing. Glad it won't last. Down on the Farm quilt is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I woke up to snow yesterday and wasn't at all ready for it! We have had such a beautiful summer-like fall that the snow was truly an unpleasant surprise. I hope you're feeling better soon! Your flimsy is beautiful and all those pillowcases! Wow!
    Thanks for the chance to win the fat quarters. I truly enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Janet!
    I finally came to visit and look at the beautiful fabric you are sharing!! I hope this was karma that I waited so long to write back to you!! Keepin' my fingers crossed! And maybe the toes if I can stretch them a bit :) I'm a new follower and off to read more of your blog. Take care and enjoy the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, please count me in on your giveaway - the fabrics looks so pretty.

    The stack of pillow cases does look like fun, I have got to try making some of those.

    Brrrrrrr snow, no way!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love that your sewing group is making charity projects out of your friend's stash! I might have to mention that to my DH. My dachshund is under my quilt with me. It's not even really cold here yet. He, too, will need a new winter jacket for the very same reason:)

    Take care! Congratulations on 100 posts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love those pillowcases! I'm sure they'll be cherished by their recipients. Did you stay warm during the snow? I live near Rapid City and we just had flurries, but it was really cold & windy that day. Thank goodness it went away, at least for now.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the little boy quilt - I am making a rodeo quilt now for my son. Those fat quarters look yummy too!

    Michele Hester

    ReplyDelete