Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Safari Star


I named my quilt "Safari Star".  It is based on Ethan's Star in the March/April '04 Quiltmaker magazine designed by Caroline Reardon.  I did some fussy cutting and added the yellow border.  I thought it needed the yellow border to set off the star from the multicolor border.  Of course, that made the whole quilt over 42", so now I need to piece the backing.  Next step--I need to go shopping in my stash for a flannel backing.  The flannel tub is in the closet, so this may take a bit of doing.  lol


                                                                                         

This was a quick and easy quilt to put together.  I had fun fussy cutting the animals.  Isn't this monkey cute?

Michelle will be home tomorrow and I'll see if she likes it.  If it meets approval, it may be a gift at the shower on Saturday.  Since we don't know if the baby is a boy or a girl this could be for either.  




The kittens haven't shown much interest in eating solid food.  I guess Peanut must be satisfying them yet.  Eating and sleeping are still their main activies.  DH always says he wants to come back as a cat--a spoiled cat.    All he would do is eat and sleep, but still be the boss of the house.  lol

21 comments:

  1. WOW! You did a great job on that quilt - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute quilt and I can see it being for either a boy or a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That quilt is so cute! Any little one would love it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is great! The kittens are definitely growing!! I love DH's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a fun quilt. I have had some of that jungle animal fabric in the past, I forget now where it went though. I love the pattern and the extra yellow is worth having to fuss with a pieced back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to fussy cut and am wanting to do some--but so far the projects I am doing don't need any fussy cutting!!! Love your quilt--some little one will latch on to that and it will be their "favorite" blankie!!!
    Hey where is my little grey kitty--or is she in the mail on her way here!!!!LOL
    Love the kitten pictures--thanks-
    Hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is wonderful. I think the yellow border works great to set the center block off. Awww, love the kitty pictures. They are growing so fast. Have a good one. Winona

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that quilt, Janet! It's so colorful and fun...and yes, that little monkey is adorable! As are the kittens; wow, they are growing up fast. I sure wish I lived close by - I would definitely be taking one (or more) of them! :o)

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about the yellow border. It definately makes the quilt. Interesting, isn't it, how a small element in a quilt makes such a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous colourful quilt. I am sure Michele will love it. Perfect for a baby shower.
    Oh the kittens are just so cute. what a life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one cute quilt. Love the fussy cut blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun quilt! I had a small piece of that jungle fabric and loved it! The monkey is sweet and so are the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The quilt is wonderul! I love the colours you used!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilt...perfect for a boy or a girl!

    The kittens are really growing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Janet, Love the bright funky quilt. It will be perfect for the baby. Glad you were able to shop locally!!!
    Have a great weekend with those cute kittens.
    Bev.xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Janet,

    Thanks for following my blog. I thought I would drop by and see what you are up to. I love your sense of color! Safari Star is just beautiful. I like the monkey too, but I love that you have put the king of the jungle in the middle where he belongs. 8) Cute kittens too, how old are they?

    Happy Stitching,
    Susan in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your safari quilt!! those little animals are adorable and it will be perfect for a boy or girl.

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Janet!

    Saw you on my blog. Guess The Happy Wren is introducing lots of people. I love your fun quilt.

    Billie

    ReplyDelete
  19. The quilt is lovely, but who kits still win. :-)
    x x x (beautiful quilt, beautiful kittens)

    ReplyDelete