I like reading the blog Stash Manicure. There are always some good ideas about things to do with your stash- storing or using up. Last week Karen from Nana Girl Quilts showed how to make these cute little bowtie blocks. . I've never made a bowtie block, so this morning I tried a couple. Of course, the first block I had to get one square sewn on backwards. It's just an unwritten rule for me to sew something backwards or upside down. I also turn the wrong way alot when driving in unknown areas. I'm a lefty, who was forced to be a righty for a while. I do alot of things with both hands, but my brain doesn't process left and right quickly or instinctively. Not sure why. My girls learned early in life--there is nothing wrong with turning around and going the other direction. I think that might be a good life lesson too. Sorry I got off the subject. lol
I really think these bowties are cute, quick and easy. I'm going to start making some with 3" squares from my scraps. I cut some squares today and some strips too. I really need to use up some of the odds and ends. I think this will be fun. Try one--I think they might be addictive.
I survived the week-end. The engagement party was very nice. It was a little cool for an outdoor party, but the garage was warm. The couple will be getting married in Jamaica on our wedding anniversary October 16th. It will be a very small wedding.
I'm not sure I could handle the 4 children that came to visit for very long. We are a pretty quiet household. The kittens hid out most of the time. Even tame kittens don't stand still long with high pitched voices and quick movements. I don't think our patio door will ever be the same. Lots of in and out--flies in and kids out. The guests only stayed Friday night. Puss spent the whole time under our bed. Rocco wanted up in our lap or under the covers on our bed. Peanut and all the kittens disappeared until their van pulled out on Saturday afternoon.
I either got the stomach flu or food poisoning and was up all night Saturday. I slept most of Sunday sleeping.. I just can't get my stomach right, so I kept my dentist appointment today in town so I could stock up on Gatorade. Gatorade seems to help get me back on track after a bout with stomach upset. I found out the small filling I broke will need to be replaced with a crown. :( I'll be going back to the dentist on Thursday morning.
I felt a little better this afternoon, so I started pulling fabric for the farm baby quilt. I'm still looking for the border material I planned to use. Tomorrow I'll look again. I need to do some more fabric organizing--maybe this winter.
The last two days have been beautiful out. I really need to pick and pickle the beets in the garden. I'm surprised we haven't had a freeze yet. It's been nice to continue to eat fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. (although I haven't been eating them the last few days). DH is still working at the cousins and I'm frustrated with my lack of ambition to sew while he's gone. If my stomach feels better tomorrow, I'll get to it.
Just a quick cat picture for you--Soot and Smudge relaxing on the deck. I hope I've gotten all my illnesses out of the way for the rest of the year. Hugs..................


OH my--Soot and Smudge are beautiful cats--what a wonderful picture of the two of them!!
ReplyDeleteYour bow ties are doing well and remember --we all goof" some are just more willing to admit it than others!!!!!
sorry you have been under the weather with the tummy--I have alot of trouble with mine at times--tonight is one of them!!! So you have some company with you on that score!!!!
hugs, Di
we were able to get a very pregnant momma cat in a carrier today to go to the clinic--they will decide if they will let her continue having the babies or not--and she will get some other medical care--shots and flea treatment--my sister and I are praying really hard that momma has her kittens tonight at the clinic--then there will not have to have a decision made and her and the new babies will be taken care of!! Still have 4 more kittens from her first batch that are 4 months old to catch and get fixed!!!
Oh Janet I hope you stomach is feeling better. Not a good trip to the dentist either. Poor you.
ReplyDeleteThe bowtie blocks are so cute and a great way to stash bust too.
Sounds like you had very active visitors.LOL.The animals are very clever
for getting out of the way.
Hope you get into the swing of sewng while you can.
Love the photo of Soot and Smudge. Beautiful looking cats.
I like your bow ties! Hope you feel better soon:)
ReplyDeleteI'm finally making time to read blogs. I missed who is getting married. Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Some of our kittens go running when Conner and Kasey are trying to hold them.
ReplyDeleteI hope you will be feeling much better soon. We haven't had a frost yet either. We had a wild storm go through at 3:15 this morning-- strong wind and another inch of rain.
Oh--I do like your bowtie blocks. They look like fun!!!
How I hate that, when you have the chance of some totally uninterrupted sewing time, and then can't take advantage of it as you don't feel well. I had the same thing happen on Monday, and you can see what happened on my blog.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling better now?
I hope you feel better soon, maybe already and hope your dental work goes smoothly. The bowtie blocks are very cute.
ReplyDeleteThose bowties are addictive. I made a small pincushion 2 years ago using the same technique as Karen's tutorial. Hope you're feeling better!
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling better and ready to tackle some sewing. I too, quite often sew something backwards - and I can't even use the 'lefty' as a reason why - lol!
ReplyDeleteJanet, I am so sorry that you have been unwell. You have sure had your share of sickness in the past couple of months. Hope you are soon all over it. One of the first quilts I made was a bow tie quilt. I am embarrassed to admit, it is still a flimsy. LOL Your blocks are lovely. I always turn the wrong way. Can never remember which way to tighten or loosen a nut or lid. That is just the way I am. My family knows this, so they never trust my directions. LOL Our animals hide out too when the grandkids visit. It is funny. As soon as the last vehicle pulls out of the drive, the cats are out from their hiding places. LOL Oh goodness. I love that picture of Soot and Smudge. What beautiful kitties. Are these some of the deck kittens all grown up? Hope you feel better today, my dear. Enjoy your sewing. My dh went back to work Monday. Then found out his hours were changing. So we are still adapting. LOL The hours are better, though. He is now on first shift instead of second. Sorry to ramble on so. Have a good one. Winona
ReplyDeleteI made a bowtie quilt for my mom several years ago and handquilted it. She was so surprised and pleased. She has made many quilts for the family but no one had ever made one just for her. The quilt now resides at my house after my mom's passing. It will always be Mom's quilt in my heart and mind.
ReplyDeleteThe bowtie blocks can definitely be addictive. It is so fun to find an easy pattern that uses all the same sized squares. I made a quilt using the same pattern but got stuck when it got to the quilting part because the centers are 3-D. I hope you are feeling better soon. Fall seems to bring the germs all together again so everyone can share.
ReplyDeleteOK -- I'm convinced. I'll try some bowtie blocks using Karen's tutorial. It looked like fun, and hardly any seams!
ReplyDeleteGet better soon! It's frustrating feeling yucky when there are things we want to do and lovely days to enjoy outside.
Nice bowtie blocks! Have never tried making one and also many of the other really neat old fashioned blocks. Hope your queasy tummy is all calmed down now - kind of takes the wind out of your sails. Another lovely picture in your header, Janet. Carol
ReplyDeleteJanet, I'm so sorry to hear that you've not been feeling well. I hope that you are better soon and back into the groove of sewing and getting things done around the farm!
ReplyDeleteOh, I so know how it is when you have visitors with children like that. We are a quiet household, too...just hubby and I and the two cats and the dog. When we get company of any type the cats hide out under the bed, and Noah barks constantly until he realizes that the "visitors" are supposed to be there. But it's always nice when everyone leaves and it's quiet again!
What adorable kittens...Soot and Smudge are so sweet! Does Soot have green eyes or yellow? He reminds me of my Buster, who is solid black with green eyes! I love black cats!
XOXO,
Cyndi
Wonderful visiting your blog, Janet. I love to see where and how you live. The harvesting pictures are so impressive.
ReplyDeleteLove your pets. Especially the last picture of your 2 cats charmed me. Such eyes! I bet they can see right through you.
Have a lovely week. xo