I've been FMQ on my practice pad. We are doing "wiggles". I think this is going to take some practice. When I started out today I could tell right away something didn't feel right. I forgot to put on the Supreme Slider. It sure makes a difference on the smoothness of my curves. I need to practice stopping and starting and staying in my U shaped area between my hands. I'm going along so well and then the next thing I know I'm going too fast and my hands are in the wrong place and my arms are stretched out--causing not as much control, so not as smooth curves and even shapes. As they say: practice, practice, and practice some more. If I'm not willing to put in the time, I'm never going to be happy with the results.I got my practice quilt pieced today. I used some of my "vintage" fabric.
My 1.5 inch strips are 2.5, because they were already cut and left over from a long time ago. They are little monkeys. I thought I might need some smiling faces looking at me while I FMQ. How can you resist a smile like that? I didn't want to cut an inch off them, so I'll just have wider strips to quilt.
I used just plain yellow on the back. It is the same fabric as the 3 inch strips on the front. I used an 80/20 Hobbs batting. I use spray adhesive on my quilts with good results. I don't use alot. I use enough to anchor it and then pin. My knees don't kneel at all anymore, so I usually use the bed for the anchoring process. I then take the quilt to the dining room table and pin it. I use my cutting mat to protect my table.
The biggest quilt I've ever made was 60" x 60". It is still waiting to be quilted. It is a Kim Diehl appliqued quilt and took me a long time to do. I hope I can figure out how to quilt it someday and do a good job. I think my pinwheel and jelly roll quilts will be larger than that by the time I do borders on them. I'm slowly stretching my boundaries.
When I was working I felt like I wanted to make mostly smaller things, so at least I could finish something. I think baby quilts are my favorite to make.
It rained 1.3 Thursday night, so yesterday we made a trip to Pierre for farm supplies and groceries. We ate lunch with Michelle, so she could see Rocco and vice versa. We took lunch to her apartment. She had to work 2-10, so it was a quick stop to see her. The Walmart in Pierre is one of the few in South Dakota that still sells fabric. I picked out some flannel for baby blankets.
I thought these were so pretty--soft colors. One nephew is having a boy in November and a nephew on my side is having a girl in December. I'm not sure what I'm doing with them yet. I had planned to make receiving blankets, but when I saw the 9 patches or 4 patches I thought this might be good practice fabric for FMQ.
I better get off the computer and get back to my quilting. Have a great week-end. Hugs.............





Smiley guy's those Monkey's.. wonder what we do do with a barrel load :-) x x x
ReplyDeletelove the colours of the fabric.
I would probably have a whale of a time with a barrel full of monkey's :-) x
You are right...lots of practice is the best way to master FMQ! You are doing great!
ReplyDeleteLove those monkeys! And your wiggles look just fine to me! :0)
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Janet, to work on your machine quilting. Just keep doing it and one day you will notice that you are able to have a lot more control and keep the machine going at an even speed. It finally happens. I am not really accomplished at it but I now enjoy doing it and it looks much better. I have been noticing the sliders - sounds like they make a difference. Will look into that. And cute little monkey business! Have a good rest of the weekend. Carol
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun practice quilt. Such a great way to improve your FMQ skills. I know it will be worth it in the end.
ReplyDeleteKeep practising Janet. I love those baby flannels, so pretty.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, practice practice practice. I am still practicing. And, I have taken a bunch of classes.
ReplyDeleteYes it does take a lot of practise Janet but I wonder if I will ever get it. I do think you have to have the knack.
ReplyDeleteI love the Baby fabrics. Just perfect.
Michelle would be pleased to see you for lunch and Rocco would enjoy the outing too.
Hello Janet,
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the quilting. I do love the cheeky money material,very happy material. Your purchases in the last photo will make a great quilt.
Happy practising.
Bev.xoxo
Looks like you're really learning a lot about FMQ. I've never been able to get the coordination right for it. I love the monkeys and their cheeky smiles.
ReplyDeleteCute monkeys! I'm right there with you in the Free Motion Quilt-along. Just when I think I've got it, then I move wrong and it's all messed up!
ReplyDeleteA Supreme Slider has been on my list for while, but apparently not close enough to the top:) It's nice to hear your opinion of it.
Keep practicing!
I've been considering buying that Supreme Slider so it's good to read about someone having it. I've been machine quilting for about a year now and it does get easier and more intuitive. It just takes practice.
ReplyDeleteI went to a quilt show on Friday and they had some quilting machines set up. I "test drove" the Husqvarna Viking one just for fun...and boy, do I have even more respect for all of you quilters. It looks so easy but really isn't and I can see that it would take a lot of practice. I know you're going to do a great job, Janet! Just keep after it. (And those little monkeys are adorable...should make it fun to work on!)
ReplyDeleteXOXO,
Cyndi
Only a quilter knows how much a quilt is handled and all with love, so much has been posted about the monkeys , however they do add to the quilt.
ReplyDeleteThere is absolutely no substitution for practice and more practice. I've been doing my own FMQ for years, but if I haven't done it for a while, a bit of practice before I quilt again is my best move. You can't practice too much.
ReplyDeleteI think your samples look great!
Love those monkeys.
And thanks for mentioning the Supreme Slider. I bought one weeks ago and forgot I had it! I'd better get it out for my next project.
Happy quilting, Janet.
What a cheerful quilt! Your wiggles look great, especially the "DNAs".
ReplyDeleteI admire your determination. I love to free motion, but I don't do that much with it - mostly stiple. I have the worst time getting my tension right.
ReplyDeleteYour fmq looks great. I love the fabric you selected for your practice quilt - so cheery. I look forward to see your progress as your practice, practice, practice!
ReplyDeleteYou'll have it mastered in no time! Love the new flannels .
ReplyDelete