Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fall is Here


Silage cutting always signals the start of fall here.  As you can see the hot dry conditions have taken a toll on the corn in some fields.  This is silage corn that was planted to have more stalks and leaves and not so much ears of corn.



In low places where the moisture stayed the corn is still green.  The tractor pulls the cutter, which chops the corn up into small pieces and shoots it back into the dump wagon.  The green and brown will mix together in the wagon.



When the wagon is full it is dumped into a dump truck.  The truck hauls the silage to the piling area that is located in the feed yard.



The truck dumps the chopped up corn and corn stalks at the end of the pile.  The tractor with the dozer will create a silage pile.    This is just the beginning stages of a huge pile to come.


DH drives the tractor with the dozer.  He pushes and packs the corn into a large pile that will be covered with plastic paper to preserve the feed until needed this winter.

DH and his cousins, Steve and David will work together at our place this week and then move everything 30 miles south to their place next week to cut their corn.  There have been alot of breakdowns this week with the cutter.  Hopefully they will be done today and I will show you the big pile that resulted.

We also raise a different type of corn that will grow more ears and will be combined by a combine for actual corn kernels.  This corn we will sell to the ethanol plant for making fuel. 

Michelle came home this morning.  Rocco was very pleased to see her.  He is more himself everyday.  Thanks so much for all your kind words and thoughts.  Peanut and her family have moved outside to the garden shed.  The kittens are having a great time playing lion in the grass and climbing trees. 

When DH gets moved down to the cousins for silaging, I hope to get back to the sewing machine.  I'll continue my work on Safari Star as the baby boy has been born and all is well.  I had flannel picked out for the backing, but found something I really liked in FL.  (the only fabric I bought on my trip, promise.)



I really couldn't resist this lovely "Jungle Babies" flannel.   I want to get this quilt done, so I can start the "farm baby quilt" for the baby boy due the end of October.  Have a good week-end.  Hugs...........................

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your little stories about life on your farm and seeing the pictures. Lots of work comes with farming!! Also love the darling jungle baby flannel. Soooo cute. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet for posting the pics of the silage gathering. I am a farm girl at heart, both of my grandparents were farm people and I love the interesting blogs like yours that share things that take me back in time.
    I love your jungle material, wish I could find something like that would love to make some throws for my cat beds that are different.
    have a safe and happy Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing your beautiful farm pics. The countryside is not so very different to where I live. The Baby Jungle Animal flannel is soooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love to see the work that is done on your farm. DH and cousins are really busy again.
    So pleased Rocco is getting back to hisold self.
    Very cute material Janet for the Baby Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The farm pictures are beautiful. I like the contrast with the red tractor and wagon. I live in the 'burbs and things are pretty ordinary here except for spring when there are flowers everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely farm pictures, never seems to be an end to work on the ranch is there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great farm photos Janet- I posted a photo of an old thrashing machine a couple of posts ago and that got us talking about what they had to do to us the threshing machine versus the combine. It is amazing to see all the machines one needs to have if you have a big grain or crop farm. My grandparents were mixed farmers - they had hay and some crops - usually barley and oats - They often had some cattle and pigs and a few resident horses that they rode. They both grew up on farms as did my parents after them. Neither of my parents farmed in their adult life though I have one uncle who still farms in east central Alberta. He has a fair amount of cattle and does hay and silage for his cattle. I am not sure how much crop he grows these days. He turned 70 this year so his son in law does some of the work on the property. His wife's family have lived on that property for 100 years.
    Have fun with that jungle fabric- I found some jungle fabric for my niece whose baby is due later this month. I will make her a baby wrap with it.
    Regards from Western Canada,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janet - thought I would come by you following your visit! haha... lovely to see the farm pictures and read what you get up to. Lovely jungle pictures for the quilt.. babies all over - we have just found out grandie#5 has started!!
    Take care and I'll come again
    Hugz
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always thought it would be "fun" to live on a farm, but I know it is a ton of work and I love seeing what is going on with your farm. So much I have never seen and would love to come and just watch it in action.

    Glad Rocco is better - must have been terribly scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok. It is very cool routine you have adopted that is indeed very easy and adjustable for whole personality.
    IF in the near future you want to go somewhere then southalltravel can assist you in arranging the tours and specialized holidays packages.

    ReplyDelete