I received my favorite kind of roll in the mail yesterday--A Jelly Roll. I won a Hello Betty by Chloe's Closet jelly roll from Scott at Blue Nickel Studios. Scott designed Block # 12 for the Jelly Roll Quilt Along put together by Konda of Moose on the Porch Quilts. I really enjoyed this quilt along. I have all 12 blocks completed. It's the sashing and sandwiching that is next on the menu--but now I'm trying to get baby quilts completed for new babies. Thanks so much Scott for the jelly roll. It will be put to good use. If you have time, check out Scott's website. There are lots of things to look at over there.
The silage cutting is complete at our place. I wish I could have gotten more photos of the tractor packing the pile and the pile before we covered it up, but it just didn't work out to do that. This is a picture of the big pile after we covered it with a 75' x 150' plastic tarp to protect it from the weather. The large bales are holding the plastic down so this tarp that costs $515.00 won't blow away in the SD wind.
We are glad to have this part of harvest completed. This will provide lots of good nutrition for the cattle this winter. DH will need to help the cousins with their chopping, but they are wetter down at their place, so it will probably be next week before they start there.
I thought you needed some kitten pictures today. They are growing like babies do--quickly. Peanut has not weaned them yet and she is on constant guard to make sure all is going well for them. They and the bigger kittens seem to be making friends, so everyone can eat together at the communal dining area.
I took Rocco to the vet yesterday and had the two stitches in the corner of his eye removed. His eye is very blood shot and not focusing correctly. Dr. Dave said to give it time and continue with the medications. DH
continues to have a hard time with the whole experience. I'm about ready to take him in to Dr. Dave and have him put to sleep. (please pardon my sic humor, but I've about had it with him). I had forgotten how DH was when the kids were sick or hurt--he just doesn't do very well in those situations. I continue to pray and believe for the best outcome. It does no good reminding him that it could have been so much worse. I guess opposites do attract---glass half full people and glass almost empty people. We will all survive with time. Thanks for letting me vent!
Have you been freehand maching quilting? I plan to get started with practicing this afternoon. I've really enjoyed all of Christina's posts. I was so surprised to read about Kathy Sandbach's diagnosis of dementia, so sad. I happen to have her book and plan to pull it out and review it.
I'll show you my progress later.........................





Isn't a new jelly roll just a wonderful invitation to play? So fun to have a whole line of fabric in one tidy little package! I sure hope the tarp doesn't blow away! My own DH is always good in an emergency, or when someone is sick. Sometimes I want to strangle him on the daily things though, like cleaning the dishes after supper or picking up wet towels. I guess they all have their moments, as do we.
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful win. I must tell you, I had a 16 year old Lhasa Apso who went both blind and deaf. He got around quite well for several years that way. As long as I didn't move anything. Oh, we had the occational mishap; but, all in all he got on well. And, yes, I have been doing a lot of machine quilting lately. Practicing.
ReplyDeleteSo this is what you do instead of using a silo. My Dad did some damage to his lungs from all the years shoveling moldy silage at the bottom of the silo.
ReplyDeleteThose kitten faces looked painted, don't they? I think Rocco will be fine in time. Healing and recovery are no fun, but imperative.
Congrats on winning that "Hello Betty" jelly roll, Janet. I love "Hello Betty"...it's one of my all-time favorite fabric lines. And those types of jelly rolls don't add any "girth" to our figures! :o)
ReplyDeleteMy hubby is pretty useless in a situation like that, too. He's very soft-hearted (not that I'm not!) and it's hard for him to deal with things like that. I've always been the one that had to take our pets in when in was time for them to cross the Rainbow Bridge because he just couldn't handle it! I'm keeping Rocco in my prayers and hoping that with time, his eye will mend completely with no residual damage!
Of course the kitties are so cute. I love when you post photos of them!
XOXO,
Cyndi
Janet,
ReplyDeleteThose kittens of yours get cuter every day. I love the caramel one and the one with black batik face-
Loved your jellyroll. I am sure you will have fun creating with it.
Hope Rocco is on the mend-
You are one busy lady these days on the farm- Hope you soon have time to slow down and quilt.
Warmest regards,
Anna
Well done on your win. jelly rolls are great aren't they? The kittens look so cute and I'm so glad Rocco's recovering, and hope that DH will get well soon. I think you're right too about opposites attracting - my DH is a glass-half-empty type and my glass is half-full, and we've been married for 42 years, so something must be right!
ReplyDeleteI have lusted over Jelly Rolls foreverbut never bought one. Have got a Layered Cake though. Not sure what to make out of it.
ReplyDeletethanks for the pics of your harvest and the gorgeous kitten ones.
I hoping Rocco will keep getting better. Oh yes some men are hopless when it comes to illnesses. It's his femmine side comong out. LOL
Hugz, Maria
Congrats on winning the jelly roll. You are definitely one busy lady. I love your kitties. I would have wanted one if I was living nearby.
ReplyDeleteMicki
Bales in a field is one of the most beautiful sights in the world. Thank you for the cheerful post and lovely pictures.
ReplyDelete